UN Vote on "UN Ecomomic Prize"

Dalimbar

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Despot
-
TNP Nation
Angel of Wine
I'll be voting on this on March 19th. Please get your votes in before then, and have fun with this one!
UN Economics Prize

A resolution to promote funding and the development of education and the arts.

Category: Education and Creativity

Area of Effect: Educational

Proposed by: Leg-ends

Description: The United Nations,

RECOGNISING the importance of understanding and studying economics,

NOTING, in particular, the skills and knowledge acquired from such studies,

CONVINCED that by drawing attention to the field of economics the UN can promote the worldwide study of economics,

SEEKING to accomplish the noble goals of promoting the study of Economics and raising the profile of contributions to the field of Economics,

HEREBY:

1) Establishes the United Nations Economics Prize which will be awarded to the person, or persons, responsible for the greatest contribution to the field of Economics over the past year,

2) Creates the United Nations Awards Committee (UNAC) to determine the annual winner of this Prize,

3) Mandates the UNAC to award the prize based on the following criteria:

i) The work must be international in scope,
ii) It must have effects beyond the contributors' own nation(s),
iii) The work must have the potential to improve the lives of people in all UN Member nations if implemented.

4) Encourages private donors to fund a monetary reward for the prize.

Pointless. If you're gonna set up an award committee, do it in bulk. Otherwise, should we be expecting a UN Bioengineering Prize or UN Literature Prize to come up to vote soon?

I'm gonna say NAY.

Yelda brought this point up on the Jolt forums:

We're running out of areas to legislate in. Prizes is a potentially great opportunity for new legislation. By legislating awards separately, we would make it easier to improve certain awards (we could just repeal one instead of all of them) and to be more specific on the awards (character limit).

At this point, I have 5 votes AGAINST (4 forum, 1 region) and 4 votes FOR (4 forum, 0 region). Although I have already voted, that can be changed if there is a swift change in opinion.

Back