The Wolfist Manifesto!

I'd love to see a massive multi-regional NS World War! I don't know any reason, game-mechanics wise, that it couldn't happen. The problem is, it would require much more activity than I've seen in NS for a long time.

It seems to me that NS has declined a lot just in the last few months! There are less than 92K nations and I could name at least 2 once-thriving regions that seem to be dying now.

There are a few things that some of us have bandied around for a while, including having no ejection from feeders, or enforced ejection from feeders once nations get over 21 days old .... or making every region founderless ... or returning to a set time for updates ..... or (radical thought that would make Kandarin annoyed) banning banning. Make every region like the RR.

Any one of the above would revive the military side of the game.

Or how about closing every region with under 40 nations automatically every 2 months?

That should revive the recruiting side of the game, and get rid of all these silly 2-nation regions.

Darkesia:

A reset wouldn't work.

The same players, thorugh interpersonal bonds, would coalesce into new, but the same old alliances. That's exactly what CN was.

There are plenty of ways to make it better. But frankly, NS doesn't drive the traffic it used to, and if they're not advertising it, and they're not making it better so we give it good word-of-mouth, it won't get new traffic.

Or how about closing every region with under 40 nations automatically every 2 months?

That should revive the recruiting side of the game, and get rid of all these silly 2-nation regions.
That would also largely kill effective raiding, and by proxy, defending.

A shakeup of game mechanics would be great, but I'm not sure if regressing in rules would be the best option. Surely, we can come up with some innovative ideas? Of course, innovation comes with its own set of problems. Regarding Flem's ideas, for example:

There are a few things that some of us have bandied around for a while, including having no ejection from feeders
The easiest option, in my opinion. It would allow raiders to try to go for the big kahuna and make all those defense treaties that feeders sign actually mean something. Then again, this is simply returning to an earlier ruleset, no?

enforced ejection from feeders once nations get over 21 days old
Kandarin would gain massive amounts of power, at least for a few days. :lol:

making every region founderless
Innovative, and something that I find interesting, but wouldn't it be hanging the little regions out to dry a bit for the sake of our own invading/defending game?

returning to a set time for updates
Nah. It's frustrating to plan an op (in the wee morning hours. Stupid GMT...) and have it fail simply because the invader del signed on 3 minutes before update. A bit of randomness and diligence should be required, IMHO. Moreover, it would mean that we'd be returning to an earlier set of rules.

banning banning
Then, it wouldn't be the invading/defending game anymore, but rather, the imperial/non-imperial game. It would be fun to see, but once again, a regression of rules.

Also, to Darkesia: *gives chocolate*

Founderless regions aren't that big a deal.

I mean, I'm the Delegate of a founderless region. Have been (not consecutively) for years. You get big enough, and you're pretty unbreakable.

interesting discussion. I have created a new forum in the Nationstates discussion area HERE (CLICKY) to take ideas further.

I have my doubts whether the powers that be are listening, but you never know.....

Nah. It's frustrating to plan an op (in the wee morning hours. Stupid GMT...) and have it fail simply because the invader del signed on 3 minutes before update.
Boo hoo. Boo hoo. Fixed update times took more skill than blind, stupid luck, unlike today.

Nah. It's frustrating to plan an op (in the wee morning hours. Stupid GMT...) and have it fail simply because the invader del signed on 3 minutes before update.
Boo hoo. Boo hoo. Fixed update times took more skill than blind, stupid luck, unlike today.
Sure, there was somewhat more skill, but more than anything, it all rested upon having the delegate sign on at the right time. Sure, there were some successful ops made with an active invader del, but those were few and far between and pretty much relied on the invader del screwing up (i.e. kicking the wrong nations, etc.).

And I wouldn't say that the current setup requires any more skill, but rather, the playing field is levelled to a point of retardation for all parties involved.

Back