SAFE HARBOUR

This proposal castrates the NPA. Which eventually will kill it through blood loss.

I can see the recruitment ads now:

"Join the NPA where you can wait around for someone to invade the region"
"Join the NPA to watch paint dry."
"Join the NPA. thumb-twiddling champions of Nationstates"

I cannot understand this attack on the nature of the NPA, other than that it is an attack on the defender tradition and nature of this region - a fact we all knew when we joined TNP.

I GUARANTEE that if this ever passes, within 3 months people will start saying "why does the NPA not do anything?" "Why do we need an army anyway?"

We should be looking to re-ignite activity in the NPA, by giving it support in defender missions. Even raiders know that the vibrancy of their game needs able defenders to add spice to the game, so we should not be ashamed of this. Nem, currently our minister of defence, is just the man to give the NPA direction and energy, as he has done in the past.

In addition, I do not see how the fact that we are a defender region has caused any problems to raiders among us. Several raiders, past raiders etc have risen to positions of power in this region, without seemingly being over bothered by the fact that we are a defender region.

In short, this proposal gains us nothing, and we lose a swathe of our heritage and identity, and (potentially) an area of activity for our region.

I urge you to oppose.

We should be looking to re-ignite activity in the NPA, by giving it support in defender missions. Even raiders know that the vibrancy of their game needs able defenders to add spice to the game, so we should not be ashamed of this. Nem, currently our minister of defence, is just the man to give the NPA direction and energy, as he has done in the past.
Where have we heard that before? Oh wait, ever since the NPA has existed.

In addition, I do not see how the fact that we are a defender region has caused any problems to raiders among us. Several raiders, past raiders etc have risen to positions of power in this region, without seemingly being over bothered by the fact that we are a defender region.

Really, which was why Blue Wolf was just waved in when he applied for citizenship and hasn't had the spectre of prosecution dogging after him ever since he joined.

The spectre of prosecution is just that - a booger man used to scare children. BW has been in this region a long time now, and has served in successive governments. Really looks as if we are out to get him, doesn't it?

PLus, I do not see how the abolition of the NPA as a defender army makes BW any more secure.

PErhaps I need to ask a substantive question: If this act came into force, what would the NPA actually do?

Another thought occurs, courtesy of MO.

If the NPA has no identity, and presumably could either raid or defend, depending on the whim of the commander, have you thought about the foreign policy implications of this? Why would any party have reason to trust us, or give us information, alliance or support, knowing that in a month or so we might be on opposite sides of the fence?

Another thought occurs, courtesy of MO.

If the NPA has no identity, and presumably could either raid or defend, depending on the whim of the commander, have you thought about the foreign policy implications of this? Why would any party have reason to trust us, or give us information, alliance or support, knowing that in a month or so we might be on opposite sides of the fence?
QFFT.

Not the question. You raised a question, and offered to withdraw the bill if Hers answered it.

Just because he answered, you cannot change the question.
I never changed the question at all, show me the edit time. I reiterate my question for everyone to hear:

Lastly, find me one feeder diplomat threatening to cut ties with us if we make defending and invading outside legal jurisdiction and I'll withdraw this bill and never bring this issue up ever again.

The West Pacific

Well, its not exactly "cutting ties" but it certainly would adversely affect our relations with TWP, the feeder we are normally closest to.

I can confirm that The West Pacific, through its Foreign Minister, has directly expressed its concerns over the Wolves of the North to me. I believe the West is also concerned about the impact of this particular proposal as part of its broader concern.

I'm against this for BOTH reasons!

1. I realize that "duality" is a four letter word around here, perhaps with good reason, but IMO it's still a legitimate form of gameplay, and I don't want it eliminated.

2. I also agree with the concerns already mentioned. An army isn't much fun if it doesn't do anything, and I don't think very many people here would want it to turn raider. :o Not to mention possible problems with our allies.

Lastly, I don't see persecution as a major problem. BW even ran for PM! There might be some extra suspicion because of his "outside activities" but it hasn't kept him out of the government.

Everyone is concerned, but no one is threatening to cut ties. I find it slightly odd that TWP's Minister of State Security inspired and encouraged me to create the WotN, it's a bit ironic.

There might be some extra suspicion because of his "outside activities" but it hasn't kept him out of the government.

Actually, it did under Tresville rule as PM, but then Plots came along and 'fixed' that. How I have no idea.

Actually, it did under Tresville rule as PM, but then Plots came along and 'fixed' that. How I have no idea.

IIRC, basically because Polts followed the Constitution. However that is slightly OT.

1. I realize that "duality" is a four letter word around here, perhaps with good reason, but IMO it's still a legitimate form of gameplay, and I don't want it eliminated.

Only because we can't spell. :P

TWP:
but as a close friend and sister-region, it is with great grief that it might affect our relations if ever a legitimate group of invader force is allowed to base in the territories of TNP.

I think TWP have shown great restraint in not interfering in our internal affairs, but this clearly comes under....

ind me one feeder diplomat threatening to cut ties with us

Let's see if Mr Sniffles stands by his promise.

Back