Ator People: Constitutional Convention

Today King Henry stepped down from power, after signing into law some last minute resolutions. He did so on his own decision to give the government to a people's constitutional convention and finally end the Constitutional monarchy.

The following speech was given before the Provincial Council:

For every nation there comes a time when certain truths are realized.  Over the past several years Ator People has changed dramatically, and the people have moved into line with ideals of the wider world.  Our tradition has been challenged repeatedly, even rebelled against.  But the government has ever striven to preserve that tradition.  Today I come before you to admit that such defense was a mistake.  It has held our country back from moving forward and changing with the will of the people.  We have prized our own tradition without concern for the ideals of our own citizens.  In trying to protect our values, we ignored our own people.  Now is our time; and now I declare a new era in Ator People.  An era to redefine our culture, our society, and our government.  You deserve a voice in your country.  That is why I am resigning as King and as my final act I am ending the monarchy.  I am ordering the Provincial Council to establish a Constitutional Convention, to be convened as soon as possible, to start from scratch and determine a new government based entirely on direct and elected representation of the people.  The convention must include elected representation from each county in the nation.  I know these seem like radical changes, but we must make up for the years when we refused change.  Our nation will move forward, in confidence that each and every person has a valuable opinion and viewpoint that will be respected by the government.  Change can be frightening, but it is the only action that will renew this country's values and culture.

The Prime Minister followed the speech with one of his own, saying he will resign following the commencement of the Constitutional Convention. The Provincial Council has called an emergency meeting to set up procedures for the convention. Updates will follow.

Shame to lose another monarchy.

To: King Henry

I would like to thank you for your service as King and wish your nation the best of luck in its endeavours.

Regards,

Emperor Matthuis

Private Communique with the King Henry of Ator People

Greetings to Your Eminence from the King Harold of Jerrimania. Your Highness knows little if any about our humble nation, yet we feel compelled still to offer a few words of well-meaning advice.

We have heard of your public announcement to abdicate and abandon monarchy as your nation's form of government. We admire your thoughts regarding not hanging onto tradition as a substitute for progress, but we feel that Your Highness, being a man of high stature, power, and reputation, should heed caution when proceeding. Abandoning dogmatic tradition does not necessitate a total purge of the old. To be quite honest, My Lord, change is dangerous and socially upsetting and especially so in a nation that has been long acquainted with a certain mode of action. Therefore, we advise Your Highness to rethink this radical course of action and urge you to bring about progress and change to your country gradually and utilizing your moderating influence. After all, it would be a pity for the hope of better times to be lost in a sea of disorder and unrestrained greed. The country is not served if the mob should be allowed to rule to their hearts' desire. Men are generally good but still need authority to guide and restrain them to their better natures.

In our study of history, it seems that effective change is forged not in the fires of revolution but rather through a master's delicate, knowing touch. Therefore, we urge Your Highness to retain your station and to personally guide your nation to further greatness. Even if you are firm in your decision to abandon the monarchy, your nation would be better served if you were at the head to lead their transition into power. Such radical change needs to be tempered by your stabilizing influence, lest all aspects of Ator culture and society be ripped asunder.

Graciously,
Your Humble Servant,
Harold Victor Klons, King of Jerrimania

OOC: Uh I'm new here, so please tell me if I'm doing something wrong! :pinch:

Response to Harold Victor Klons's Communique

Your Highness, King Harold of Jerrimania, thank you for your words of caution. I have indeed taken the time to think about this decision and "the die has been cast." I have great trust in the people of my nation and it seems that the country is taking the announcement well.

Our nation went through a rebellion years ago in which the elected Prime Minister overstepped his boundaries and attempted to overthrow the monarchy. Whilst the vast majority of people condemned his actions of disobedience, the seeds of democracy were planted. The monarchy did not fall by force; I determined it would not end like that. However, the people have been contemplating democracy for years and with the passage of the Democracy & Freedom Effort the nation has slowly begun to experience the ideals of democratic rule.

The nation has flourished more as it was given more liberties. Our economy has since grown and we have become a greater force in the world market. The two nations which broke off from Ator People (Exiled Atorians and Atorian Border) have since reconciled and rejoined their home country. But I never want to leave a job half finished, and thus I decided to give the nation back to the people.

I hope you understand my decision was not made lightly. I had consulted with numerous members of the royal court as well as high ranking officials in the Provincial Council. Progress on the Constitutional Convention is going well and is scheduled to convene tomorrow.

Again, thank you for your concern and I wish your nation the best of luck in its endeavors.

Henry Nadroj VI
Citizen of Ator People

:clap:

Another monarchy torn down.

Hanan Xola, the 7th president of Lebostrana, applauds this act and recognizes the good it will do for Ator People.

As it says in our Holy Xolan,

"For what good can kings be to us, to put our faith, our land, our children, in the hands of one man? The hearts of men are easily stolen by greed and power. If one man owned a field of cattle, he could say, 'I will sell my land and my cattle, and I shall become a rich man.' But if the field of cattle were owned by three brothers, there would be greater thought in the matter, for the other two could say, 'No! Do not sell the field of cattle! The rich man will quickly gamble away his money and waste it on drink and prostitutes, and the new owner may kill the cattle while they are thin, or before the calves are born.' And so the three brothers would prosper long in their land. For one leader that can be lead astray, but another two can guide him back. I ask you, then, why do you put your trust in the king?"

Back