List of Candidates

Namyeknom

TNPer
For ease of reference, here's a list of who is standing for what:

Prime MinisterMinister of Immigration and Internal AffairsMinister of External AffairsMinister of DefenceMinister of Justice/Attorney GeneralMinister of Arts and Entertainment
Minister of Culture and Education
  • FALCONKATS
  • Byardkuria
Minister of Communication
Speaker of the Regional AssemblyUN DelegateUN Vice DelegateSecurity CouncilAs campaign threads are opened they'll be linked. If you've stated your intention to run and you are not on here, or your campaign thread isn't linked, drop either Roman or me a PM and we'll get it sorted.

Right then, the voting period is officially open! Checkout the voting forum to cast yours.

Apologies to all for Nem making a late appearance to the list. Because of the NPA endorsement requirement, Nem's candidacy was announced in the NPA forum before being announced here. For those who aren't in the NPA (myself included) its well worth checking out Nem's campaign. :D

The eagle eyed among you may have noticed GBM has disappeared from the VD list as well. This is because of potential conflicts with the term limitation laws. I cannot apologise enough (as I hope GBM realises from my PM :unsure:) for this not being spotted earlier, when more could have been done about it.

Anyway, I'm off to hide in a corner, and hope nothing else happens with disastrous consequences. :(

I didn't think GBM was not allowed to run and firmly protest this!

If I wasn't starting to be unsure of the law, I would demand her restoration to the ballot!

So, if I understand correctly, I can post in the voting threads now? It says November at the bottom of them, so I'm unsure...

(Bear with me, elections alway confuse me)

Sorry, perhaps I should of been clearer. The problems aren't in relation to GBM becoming Vice Delegate, but the potential for having to assume the delegates position.

The constitution states that no one is allowed to hold the same position for more than two consecutive terms. It also states that should a Vice Delegate assume the Delegates positions (due to the Delegates absence) for more than half of a term, that counts as a full term as Delegate, in regards to the term limitation regulations. It would therefore be illegal for a Vice Delegate to become Delegate for more than half a term, if they had previously served two consecutive terms as Delegate. Constitutionally speaking, anyone in this situation would be unable to fulfil the complete duties of a Vice Delegate until at least the half way point in the term.

Unfortunately it is another grey area of the constitution, partly due to the VD being the only elected deputy.

But the same applies to all deputy positions, does it not? IMO, in the case of the Delegate (or any Minister) going AWOL and the Deputy/VD having to takeover it either:

1. Isn't a problem (as the half a term count as a term rule only applies for electoral eligability- that is to say, it doesn't stop term-limited deputies taking over, it just means in general that if a deputy takes over that half a term counts towards their term limit. If that makes sense.).

2. The deputy can't takeover and a replacement has to be found using existing procedure (nominated by PM, confirmed by RA IIRC).

They might both be wrong of course, my legalese is only very basic. I have a feeling, however, that 2 have happened before but I may be wrong. What ever is the case, there is nothing (as far as I understand it) stopping a term limited person from running for VD. There may be issues, but they are not a concern as far as eligability to run goes. But thats just my thoughts.

In regards of the term limitations, they are not just an election clause, but apply constantly.

Article III:
1) No person, through one or more Nations, may hold any Cabinet-level position for more than two consecutive terms.

No one can serve as in a cabinet level position (either by vote or appointment) if they have served in that position for the previous two terms, in the eyes of the constitution.

Scenario 2 may well have happened before. However there is a difference between deputy ministers and the vice delegate. The security aspects of questions being asked and resolutions being found around the Vice Delegate are a great deal more serious, especially if it is a situation when the Delegate has gone AWOL.

Also, as deputies are unelected, they have very few constitutionally granted rights and responsibilities. The VD does. Indeed the primary function of the VD is to take over as delegate if required, and this is compromised if the VD has served two previous terms.

I would also say that:

Law 5 Section 2:
C - Any member Nation with UN member status located within the Region that has registered to vote and that is not ineligible to serve by any limitation of service provision or additional qualification for office in the Constitution, may declare its candidacy for UN Delegate or UN Vice Delegate.

Means that to stand for the VD position, you have to be able to complete all required duties for the whole of the term.

So, if I understand correctly, I can post in the voting threads now? It says November at the bottom of them, so I'm unsure...

(Bear with me, elections alway confuse me)
Sorry, missed this. Voting is open. Yes its impossible not to make copy and paste errors when dates are mentioned.

Just as its impossible for some smart arse not to point said errors out. :P

Back