At Vote: Sexual Privacy Act

Great Bights Mum

Grande Dame
-
-
-
-
The resolution quoted below is currently up for vote in the UN.

Please post your views and stance on this resolution. Note, however, that you must have a UN nation in The North Pacific, or on active NPA duty, in order for the Delegate to count your vote.

The voting on the forum will close on Mon., Jan. 8, 2007 at 11:59pm GMT.

The Resolution at Vote:
Sexual Privacy Act
A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.

Category: Human Rights
Strength: Strong
Proposed by: Karmicaria

Description:
The United Nations,

RECOGNIZING the inherently private nature of sexual intimacy, and

DESIRING to guarantee an individual's right to such privacy,

1. DEFINES sexual activities, for the purpose of this resolution, as behavior, in the form of consensual physical intimacy, that may be directed to reproduction, spiritual transcendence, or sexual gratification. Excluded from this definition are acts that result in the death or serious injury of a participant.

2. FURTHER DEFINES, for the purposes of this resolution, an adult as an individual who has reached the legal age of consent, as defined by the law of the nation in which the activity takes place.

3. BANS the criminalization of any form of sexual activity provided that,

a) it is performed in privacy, and

b) all participants are consenting adults.

4. FORBIDS governments, their agents and agencies from interfering with, conducting surveillance on, or investigating the private, consensual sexual activities of adults, subject to the exemptions below.

5. EXEMPTS from clause 4:

a. Obtaining evidence for determination of paternity,

b. Collecting information for epidemiological investigations,

c. Criminal or civil investigative activity where probable cause has been established requiring such information, and

d. Actions in situations where there is probable cause that death or serious bodily harm will result without immediate intervention.

What? No discussion? No debate as to what specifically does and does not fall under the definitions? No extreme and/or graphic examples?

I'm kind of with GBM on this. I came here thinking that I would have to defend my proposal, but I find two Aye's and one against, with no explanation as to why they are against. No, I'm not complaining, far from it.

AYE.

I think this is a good proposal. It's pretty well written and is specific on the guidelines it covers. Seems fair to me.

Thank you for voting. The count was 8/1 in favor, so I have voted for the resolution.

Congratulations to Karmicaria! You finally won over this tough crowd. ;)

Thank you! I'm glad that I could manage that. I hope that you don't mind if I visit here a little more often.

I like you guys. :tb4:

Actually, following some of the posts in this topic, would you (and by you, I mean GBM :D) mind if I occasional contribute to these debates? I no longer have a UN nation in TNP so wouldn't have a vote, but I used to enjoy arguing about these things...

Back