At Vote: Repeal "Fair Sentencing Act"

Great Bights Mum

Grande Dame
-
-
-
-
The resolution quoted below is currently up for vote in the UN.

Please post your views and stance on this resolution. Note, however, that you must have a UN nation in The North Pacific, or on active NPA duty, in order for the Delegate to count your vote.

The voting on the forum will close on Thurs., Dec. 28, 2006 at 11:59pm GMT.

The Resolution at Vote:

Repeal "Fair Sentencing Act"
A proposal to repeal a previously passed resolution

Category: Repeal
Resolution: #180
Proposed by: Imperfectia

Description: UN Resolution #180: Fair Sentencing Act (Category: The Furtherment of Democracy; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: The United Nations,

AFFIRMING that due to different circumstances different criminals may warrant different sentences for the same crime and such each case should be judged individually, and;

COMMENDING UN#180 in its attempts to encourage member states to provide oversight to their judicial systems to examine trial and sentencing practices, however;

CONCERNED that the second article gives nations the license to use capital punishment too freely;

CONCERNED that individual states may use capital punishment for ANY offense they so choose including, but not limited to shoplifting, illegal drug possession, trespassing, and adultery;

BELIEVING that an internationally recognized standard practice regarding the use of capital punishment is in every member nation’s best interest in order to keep the peace;

HEREBY repeals UN #180, “Fair Sentencing Act”

The original resolution and regional vote can be found here.

The vote is 0/3. I have cast my vote against the repeal.

Prior to my vote, the repeal had a narrow margin of approval. Now it does not appear it will pass.

One vote DOES mean a lot.

Back