At Vote: Repeal "World Heritage List"

Great Bights Mum

Grande Dame
-
-
-
-
The resolution quoted below is currently up for vote in the UN.

Please post your views and stance on this resolution. Note, however, that you must have a UN nation in The North Pacific, or on active NPA duty, in order for the Delegate to count your vote.

The voting on the forum will close on Sun., Dec. 3, 2006 at 11:59pm GMT.

The Resolution at Vote:
Repeal "World Heritage List"A proposal to repeal a previously passed resolution

Category: Repeal
Resolution: #37
Proposed by: Kivistan UN Bordello

Description: UN Resolution #37: World Heritage List (Category: Environmental; Industry Affected: Woodchipping) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: The United Nations COMMENDING the effort of UNR#37 (The World Heritage List) to protect the global environment;

DISMAYED that UNR#37 fails to stipulate how to classify locations as being of environmental significance;

DISTRAUGHT that there is no system by which the World Heritage List is to be maintained;

CONCERNED that UNR#37 does not specify what protective measures are to be taken, and by whom;

LAMENTS that UNR#37, despite its mention environmentally damaging activities, is narrowly targetted at only the woodchipping industry;

SEEKING an opportunity to pass more effective legislation in replacement;

HEREBY REPEALS UNR#37 The World Heritage List.

The text of the resolution this seeks to repeal:
UNITED NATIONS RESOLUTION #37

World Heritage List
A resolution to increase the quality of the world's environment, at the expense of industry.

Category: Environmental
Industry Affected: Woodchipping
Proposed by: Van dieman land

Description: Recognising that all nations share a common global environment;

Recognising that sites of pristine environmental significance should be protected for all people; and

Recognising that a lack of environmental protection protocols currently exists:

It is proposed that a World Heritage List be established. All UN nations may voluntarily list sites of environmental significance both internally and globally. Listed sites would be protected from logging, mining and other environmentally-damaging activities.

Votes For: 9,402
Votes Against: 7,623

Implemented: Sat Nov 15 2003

I'm torn because as a diehard protector of all things beautifull naturall and culturally I would love to say yes but the capitalist part if me wants me to vote yes and increase my economy.

So I'm going to have to be a coward on this one and Abstain.

Okay, so most of you are voting NAY, but you give no reason for this. Why are you voting against?

Is it that you would rather leave a flawed law on the books and let it continue to be abused as much as this resolution has or are you just afraid of leaving a gaping hole in the books?

Are you afraid that it won't be replaced with something sufficient enough?

I am honestly curious. I'm not trying to give anyone any grief about the way they are voting, I just want to know the reasoning for it.

Back