At Vote: Repeal "Public Domain"

Great Bights Mum

Grande Dame
-
-
-
-
The resolution quoted below is currently up for vote in the UN.

Please post your views and stance on this resolution. Note, however, that you must have a UN nation in The North Pacific, or on active NPA duty, in order for the Delegate to count your vote.

The voting on the forum will close on Mon., Nov. 13, 2006 at 11:59pm GMT.

The Resolution at Vote:

Repeal "Public Domain"
A proposal to repeal a previously passed resolution

Category: Repeal
Resolution: #60
Proposed by: Safalra

Description: UN Resolution #60: Public Domain (Category: Free Trade; Strength: Strong) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: The General Assembly,

Noting the passage of United Nations Resolution #60, 'Public Domain',

Acknowledging that the establishment of the public domain and mechanisms to place a work into the public domain are important parts of copyright law,

Unconvinced of the case for requiring that member States place their government works into the public domain, when the use of liberal licences provide similar social benefits,

Deeply concerned that the resolution places freeware and shareware works into the public domain, when traditionally these licences allow authors to maintain copyright while permitting free distribution of their works,

Condemning the hardship the resolution has caused for shareware authors who had relied for their income on works published prior to the passage of the resolution,

Noting that clause 5 of United Nations Resolution #163, 'UN Copyright Convention', make the other provisions of the resolution redundant,

1. Repeals United Nations Resolution #60, 'Public Domain';

2. Urges delegates to consider existing definitions and usage when defining terms in future resolutions.

The text of the resolution this would repeal is as follows:
UNITED NATIONS RESOLUTION #60

Public Domain
A resolution to reduce barriers to free trade and commerce.

Category: Free Trade
Strength: Strong
Proposed by: Our own laziness

Description: UN nations resolve to establish a public domain. If something is "in the public domain" then anyone can copy it or use it in any way they wish. The author has none of the exclusive rights that apply to a copyrighted work.

Works pass into the public domain when:
(1) the term of copyright for the work has expired
(2) the author failed to satisfy statutory formalities to perfect the copyright
(3) it is a work of a UN Government
(4) it is deemed "freeware" or "shareware"

Votes For: 8,694
Votes Against: 6,706

Implemented: Mon May 31 2004

I vote for this repeal.

Note: The original Resolution was before my time and I would have voted against it had I been here. There is simply no point for it to exist and is rather poorly written.

Another bl**dy repeal....although I don't quite get the point of the original resolution or the repeal.....
I'm holding back on voting till I see a point.....

I agree with the repeal's point about things that are "freeware" or "shareware" -- usually, when things are given public license to use the author retains some rights. I also think the section of the original resolution about improperly submitted copyright applications is pointless.

Unterwasserseestaat votes FOR this repeal.

:yes:

Resolution 60's provisions for a public domain are covered in Resolution 163, and the freeware/shareware issue should never have been allowed.

FOR

edit - the spacebar is big for a reason.

Back