Pirate hall of fame

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
privateer.jpg

Here be flemingovia. And a scurvy knave I be.

This is true mates,

Bartholomew_Roberts.png

Bartholomew Roberts

Bartholomew Roberts born John Robert (May 17, 1682 - February 10, 1722), also known as Black Bart (welsh: Barti Ddu), was one of the most notorious and successful pirates of his day.

Roberts did have certain traits that stood him apart from many other pirates, as described in the latest History Channel documentary, True Caribbean Pirates, which aired on July 9th, 2006:

He was always well-dressed.
Loathed cruelty, profanity, drunkenness & louts.
Forbade excessive gambling between his crew.
Held Sunday worship service onboard ship.
Had excellent manners.
Treated those he met with the utmost kindness and respect.
Was always clean-shaven.
Being a teetotaler, he did not imbibe alcohol.
Had excellent, beautiful handwriting.
Being a lover of music he had on-board hired musicians.
And had a standing order, that if he were to die in battle he was to be thrown into the sea.

He was never very fond of the governors of Martinique or Barbados. Robert's flag shows a small drawing of himself standing upon 2 skulls. One laybelled ABH (A Barbadian's Head) and the other laybelled AMH (A Martiniquian's Head).

As a descendent of the O'Malley clan (my grandmother being one Mary Magdalene O'Malley) I had to post this bio:

Grace%20O%20Malley.bmp

Grace O'Malley, The Pirate Queen of Ireland

One of the most famous women in Irish history is Grace O'Malley. She is also known to history as the Pirate Queen of Ireland. She lived from around c. 1530 to c.1603.

Grace was the daughter of the chief of the O'Malley clan. The O'Malleys controlled most of what is now the barony of Murrisk. The O' Malleys were a great seafaring family and taxed all those who fished off their coasts. Their leader bore the ancient Irish title of The O' Malley.

Rosemarie Colombraro wrote of her early life. She noted, "As a young child Grace yearned to join her father on the sea, but her mother resisted, saying the life of a sailor was not for young ladies. When Grace cut off her long hair in protest, her amused family nicknamed her Grainne Mhaol (Grace the Bald). It is believed her father gave in and allowed her to travel with him to Spain."

In 1546, Grace married Donal O'Flaherty. She bore him three children. During this time, she also was active in clan politics and took to pirating. When her husband was killed, she took over his castle after defeating the people who killed him. Later, she married Iron Dick Burke so she could gain control of Castle Rockfleet. She divorced Iron Dick a year later but kept his castle.

Grace O'Malley is also known for meeting Queen Elizabth I. Richard English wrote, "Grace lost none of her fire as she aged, eventually running afoul of Queen Elizabeth’s navy. She was arrested for piracy, but petitioned the Queen for leniency in such flowing and complimentary prose that something stirred in the Queen. She summoned Grace for an audience behind closed doors, at the end of which Grace and all her men were released and given property along the coast of Ireland. Elizabeth also knighted Grace’s son, Tibbott, and he became Sir Theobold Burke in 1603."

When Grace visited the Queen, she refused to bow. Wikipedia notes, "When they met at Grenwich, Grace famously refused to bow before Queen Elizabeth because she was herself a Queen, and not a subject of the Queen of England. Elizabeth apparently took to Grace, who was approximately the same age, and the two women reached sufficient agreement for Elizabeth to grant Grace's requests provided Grace's piracy against Great Britain ended."

Despite her pirating, Grace O'Malley lived to an old age. After her death, she became an Irish folk hero of almost legendary status. An upcoming musical play about her (The Pirate Queen by Alain Boublil, Claude-Michel Schönberg and John Dempsey) will debut at Chicago's Cadillac Palace Theatre in fall 2006.

Following my night out on wednesday that was freshers week and the theme was pirates! I have cut myself out of it as i think i look stupid! My two best friends though........

jenandsarahqi9.jpg

More from my night out!! Click to enlarge

Don't the boys look sweet!!!

Now you can see all my friends are mad! Even the boys! It's not just me!!!

pirate_ryan.jpg

I be in Germany for talk like a pirate day so I be missing it.....

But I be posting this for all of ye true piratey types...arrrr

Back