Crackheads try to take over TNP!

The Free Land of Gossamer Cornweb
Received: 22 hours ago

Greetings great and kind nation,

I come to you today with a strange request. I would like to ask for your United Nations endorsement. As I am sure you can see, I have not yet endorsed your great nation. This is because I have been asked not to endorse anymore nations.

Why? I am sure you ask. My high endorsement count is considered by some, to be worrying. These are the same people who ignore you if you try to speak up, by threatening ejection if you challenge them in anyway.

Therefore, I ask for your endorsement, and give you my word that I will endorse you back when I can do so without fear of being ejected from my home. Please also know that I only have the best of intentions and seek nothing but good causes.

Thank you very much for your time, and your cooperation, and I greatly look forward to hearing back from you and working with you as well as the rest of the region in the future.

Best wishes,
The kind and peaceful people of Gossamer Cornweb.

Eject him or what?

Another threat:

The Republic of Naked Innocence
Received: 8 hours ago

Fellow nation of The North Pacific,

I seek to make alliances and to strenghten our region. As such, I have offered you my United Nations endorsement and hope that you will give me yours in return.

I hope that your nation continues to grow and prosper, and I look forward to being able to work together with you in the future :)

Forever yours,
Naked Innocence

I wouldn't have minded this so much if he didn't have 270 friggin' endorsements!

That first one is pretty bold, considering Gossamer Cornweb told me she would stop gathering endorsements. You know, I just hate being lied to.

Worth bearing in mind that we have recently had a spike both in numbers of new nations in our region and in numbers of UN nations. Any anomaly like that always makes me doubly twitchy.

An invasion in the offing?

At this point, it would be very interesting to know when the ultimatum runs out...

ZS is still within the ultimatum set by the Security Council. And is still getting closer, possibly though no fault of her own, but the fact remains that she's a security threat when she's less than 40 endorsements away.

For those who haven't seen yet, GC is no longer in TNP. She has now moved to "The New Social Order" and has been there (as of this posting) for 114 minutes. Does we know if she caught an update, or is she planning to endo-surf?

Endosurfing:

Due to the large size of Nationstates, the update determining the new delegates and rankings for each region are not synchronous, but a batch job running once a day, going through regions one at a time.

With skill and luck, one can move between regions during the update, always remaining in a region that isn't updated (or is already updated). This way, the endorsements that should vanish (since the nation is in a different region) are only rendered invisible, but not deleted. When the nation returns to the region, the endorsements reappear.

That's called endosurfing, or update-surfing. Stars of Sky used it quite effectively in last year's revolution. Very dangerous, if used expertly.

-------------------------------------------------

How to detect if Gossamer Cornweb has lost her endorsements:

If you know you gave her an endorsement: Move to the region she is in currently. Then look at her nation page. If your endorsement is listed (even though you haven't endorsed her in the new region), she has avoided the update. If it isn't, the update has cleaned off her endorsements.

No, I mean when Pixie removed her from the ban list, but she didn't return and instead surfed the update for some time. You will remember that after Insane Power resigned, she returned and took the delegacy (after the regional update made Lungwallabad delegate for a day).

But, of course, she had to wait until the tyrant was already deposed before she could return. I would have to say Lungwallabad's tactic was more efficient.

But, of course, she had to wait until the tyrant was already deposed before she could return. I would have to say Lungwallabad's tactic was more efficient.
*shrug* No one has 20/20 foresight. SoS didn't want to risk being banned again, so she surfed. More effort required, and her fears may have been unfounded but whatever.

Remember, kids: There are oftentimes more than one way to approach something! :D

*shrug* No one has 20/20 foresight. SoS didn't want to risk being banned again, so she surfed. More effort required, and her fears may have been unfounded but whatever.
I'm not trying to argue, though. I love the whole "run away and stick your tongue out at the dictator saying 'NA-na-na-na-boo-boo! You can't catch me! :lol: " but I don't think it is especially effective in unseating the said dictator.

I'm not trying to argue, though. I love the whole "run away and stick your tongue out at the dictator saying 'NA-na-na-na-boo-boo! You can't catch me! :lol: " but I don't think it is especially effective in unseating the said dictator.
Yeah, endo-surfing purely for the sake of retaining what endos you have is pretty pointless. The danger lies in the hypothetical situation of the nation surfing through regions where it slowly picks up endos from nations that then move to the target area. And then, we reach the problem of trying to move a large number of UN nations into a region unseen. Of course, you could get all those UN nations to stagger resigning from the UN before moving in and reapplying for the UN after a staying in the region a bit. At that point, the operational security required in such a hypothetical situation would be unattainable and the level of execution perfect.

The above rambling courtesy of MO's crazy brain during one particularly boring bio seminar.

I still have Gossamer's endorsers of this morning, before she left the region. Any of these would show up on her endorsement list if the nation were to move to her current region - if she is endosurfing.

So if your nation is in this list, perhaps try this. You can return immediately afterwards, just look at GC's nation page first to see if your endorsement shows up. :unsure:

Of course, this doesn't work if The New Social Order is password-protected.

Back