-
-
Pronouns
she/her
TNP Nation
Former English Colony
Discord
Erastide
Voting on this resolution ends on Thursday the 3rd. So get your votes in, and I'll be expecting Sarcodina sometime soon. ;)

Repeal "Metric System "
A proposal to repeal a previously passed resolution
Category: Repeal
Resolution: #24
Proposed by: Leg-ends

Description: UN Resolution #24: Metric System (Category: Free Trade; Strength: Strong) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: The United Nations,

APPRECIATING the scientific advantages and the simplistic nature of the metric system,

NOTING that the resolution imposes the costs of converting to the metric system onto all nations, regardless of economic conditions, upon their entry into the United Nations,

CONCERNED that the economic burden of converting to the metric system will offset the stated purpose of the original resolution, particularly in developing nations,

BELIEVING that Nations should have the right to choose their own forms of measurement,

OBSERVING that systems of measurement may be as much a part of a nation's culture as language,

FURTHER OBSERVING that some non-metric systems allow even simpler division by a broader array of integers, and may therefore be considered preferable in certain applications,

CONSIDERING that in light of these flaws there would be no direct international benefit to the forced conversion of domestic measurement units:

REPEALS United Nations Resolution #24, "Metric System".

Co-authored by the members of ACCEL

This resolution is currently up for vote in the UN.

Please post your views and stance on this resolution below. Note, however, that you must have a UN nation in The North Pacific, or on active NPA duty, in order for the Delegate to count your vote.

Disclaimer: I have no UN nation in service of TNP.

Bullsh*t. Standardization is good for free and open trade. Plus, without multiple units of measurement, you won't wind up with this debacle. Surely, that cost a lot of money. :eyeroll:

Daimiaena wonders what are these other systems of measurement you speak of???
Daimiaena has always used metric...and assumed everyone else did likewise.....Hmm...that would explain the whole ship/dockyard fiasco last summer...we shall speak to our experts in this feild and get back to you on this....

I'll post soon :) Glad to be recognized.

Here's the original:
Description: Science has already coverted over to the far superior metric system from all other localized forms of measurement. I propose that all countries within the United Nations be converted to the Metric standard. This would include all official research, roadways, and labeling. This would breakdown barriers in sharing of research and in the international marketplace. Tourism would also be benifited from the common standard. This proposal would mainly help countries of poor economic standing, whereas the common standard would improve their ability to compete in the international market place. Science would also benifit from a unifide standard to taught in public schools, no conversions would need to be made.

Votes For: 8,629
Votes Against: 5,227

Implemented: Mon Jul 28 2003

FURTHER OBSERVING that some non-metric systems allow even simpler division by a broader array of integers, and may therefore be considered preferable in certain applications,
More complicated conversion factors does not mean simpler anything. Sorry to all nations RPing twelve-fingered aliens, but the humans of Unterwasserseestaat vote AGAINST this repeal.

Repeal this, we bodhimandans have no need of such things for measurement, there is only unity.

besides, metric is dumb, too simple, we need some more arbitrary and ridiculously cumbersome... something related to fahrenheit methinks.

Due to the simple fact that I have no idea how tall I am in centimetres, Teruchev votes in favour of this repeal.

:P

Against.

Remember the Nasa Mars Climate orbiter? No? The reason it became the "Nasa Mars Climate crah and break up into a million fragmentser" was because different sets of scientists used different units of measurement.

Against. The Murgo system of measure was absurdly complex and I shudder to think of the hide-bound idiots in my nation that would cry for it's return.

Well then, it appears we appear to have an onslaugh of metric system supporters.

Let me discount some points, and compliment some nayers on that stylish t-shirt they're wearing (smooth, really is a well done get up :yes:)

//Standardization is good for free and open trade.//
That is debatable. For example, the US is not metric, but we still trade quite well. The idea of weights being uniform definitely has some merits for trades, but the idea that really makes much of a difference is small. I mean with technology everything can be easily re-calculated rather effortlessly.

//More complicated conversion factors does not mean simpler anything. Sorry to all nations RPing twelve-fingered aliens, but the humans of Unterwasserseestaat vote AGAINST this repeal. //
It might not be that germane to your nation to allow for non-metric measurements, but it definitely helps in certain instances. Thus, why stop people from doing so? What really is the gain from forcing people to bake, drive, and trade to the same system? That appears to be stomping on a cultural right that really doesn't negatively effect the world.

//Remember the Nasa Mars Climate orbiter? No? The reason it became the "Nasa Mars Climate crah and break up into a million fragmentser" was because different sets of scientists used different units of measurement. //
Fair enough, but for most scientific matters, there is usually only the metric system. In addition, most multinational activities have the same use of measurements to ensure the activity works properly. This though doesn't make a good case for various examples that have no potential of doing something as bad as a crash of an orbiter or anything close to that for that matter. That.

//The Murgo system of measure was absurdly complex and I shudder to think of the hide-bound idiots in my nation that would cry for it's return. //
maybe for you, but what about growing tribal nations that find the metric system too complicated. Or the fact that there are many regional measuring systems that can cause mass confusion trying to make into metric. Maybe not being able to have a different system can drive a weak economy further into the hole esp. since the metric system favors advanced nations.

If you are a leader of a nation, and your nation wants something but you don't, then that's a pretty piss poor argument. Not that I don't think Cthul Murgos is a great player that posts intelligently and well who I have the utmost respect for.

The vote currently in TNP stands at 3-7 at least on this board. I urge all UN TNP members to read the repeal and the original, and vote wisely...by that I mean in support :lol: .

Then again, there are those the duodecimal system works for....

six_fingered.jpg

After reading the original, the repeal and the arguments here, Lichtenau-Holtheim votes AGAINST this repeal.

Standardization indeed saves money in global trade. Every re-calculation takes a little time, billion re-calculations take billion little times and that costs awfully much.

CONCERNED that the economic burden of converting to the metric system will offset the stated purpose of the original resolution, particularly in developing nations,

Eventually the everyday conversion costs will exceed the one-time costs of a system change. That said, the quote above is not true.

More complicated conversion factors does not mean simpler anything. Sorry to all nations RPing twelve-fingered aliens, but the humans of Unterwasserseestaat vote AGAINST this repeal.
:rofl: :lol:

Amazing that you didn't get this sooner.

maybe for you, but what about growing tribal nations that find the metric system too complicated. Or the fact that there are many regional measuring systems that can cause mass confusion trying to make into metric. Maybe not being able to have a different system can drive a weak economy further into the hole esp. since the metric system favors advanced nations.

If you are a leader of a nation, and your nation wants something but you don't, then that's a pretty piss poor argument. Not that I don't think Cthul Murgos is a great player that posts intelligently and well who I have the utmost respect for.

Allow me.

The Murgo are a dynastic sectarian people, with 8 major families ruling 8 different Prefectures (military districts). Each had their own money, systems of measure, and until the Daiokuran occupation, was considered one of the poorest nations on earth. The Daiokurans swept in, killed the Urga King, instituted uniform minting, weights and measures, even new official languages, then left me (after the bloodbath that is a Dynastic Succession Tournament) to enforce all of it. There is no basis in saying the metric system favors more developed nations, as it is equally hard on developed and undeveloped nations alike. While the transition was difficult (though not especially expencive in comparison to other projects going on at the time), trade has indeed boomed as we can now be relied upon to consistently give due measure.

As for me ignoring my populace, the people I speak of are the other family leaders that use this very issue in a political manner. For my nation I am exceedingly liberal, and dark-age conservatives that want to drag us back to howling barbarism are most definitely in the minority. However, if I didn't fight them tooth and nail, they would eventually get their way. A consensus of the populace knows that things like the metric system have contributed greatly to the success of C'thul Murgos, and our rise as one of the region's economic powers.

Thus the only reason I would support a repeal is on the grounds of a rewrite.

Against.

Remember the Nasa Mars Climate orbiter? No? The reason it became the "Nasa Mars Climate crah and break up into a million fragmentser" was because different sets of scientists used different units of measurement.
My friend flemingovia, you are mistaken. It was not mere measurement that caused the poor robot's demise; our, ahem, intelligence gatherers, had discovered that it were really Robots in Disguise that destroyed the American's orbiter!

In any case, I vote against the repeal of the vote, if only for the fact that it makes things simpler worldwide if the units of measurement were the same. Though, I DO have the question of what the line "that some non-metric systems allow even simpler division by a broader array of integers, and may therefore be considered preferable in certain applications" refers to. Can someone enlighten me?

I've already telegramed the delegate to vote for this, but my reasoning is this:

*Ator People has always had its own, distinct version of measurement. We are able to compete well in the international market with our own form of measurement, and we believe it is our INHERENT RIGHT to measure things how our country democratically agrees. There is no need for the international community to decide this for. The UN has better things to devote its time to.

I vote against the repeal. A change with a permanent benefit is always worthwhile, even at a temporary cost. International trade and communication are much better off with a common set of units.

So we are agreed then, First we get the United States to accept the metric system, then we get them to adopt the Euro, yes?

[Izzard]Hey, get out of here with your goddamn Commie metric system! Comin' in here. Hey, see what we got? We got a metric system! We got the outlaw Josie Wales with a metric system. Yeah, yeah, he's sharp. Oh, you watch 'im. He's got those millimetres and centilitres - and millipedes. Full of insects they are, Communist insects![/Izzard]

So we are agreed then, First we get the United States to accept the metric system, then we get them to adopt the Euro, yes?
One thing at a time.

Given the direction the dollar is going, it will soon be a choice between that and the Yuan. :P

Edit: Incidentally, where does the vote currently stand? Do we find out when voting ends?

regional message board...you mean this thingy??

The Dominion of ST47 supports the decision of FEC to override the repeal and formally inquires what to do about it.

When you log into your nation in Nation States...There is a menu on the left hand side With the name of your nation....Issues.....settings and stuff........also the world.....united nations....And The North Pacific...

Click on the words The North Pacific....To go to the Regional page....

Then scroll down past the list of nations....and there's a big message board thing....that's the RMB....or Regional Message Board....

okay....

and if you want to vote on this issue just post in this thread.....yea or nay or yes or no....or positive or negative...whatever.....that's all....

Back