-
-
Pronouns
she/her
TNP Nation
Former English Colony
Discord
Erastide
Voting ends Monday the 24th, make sure to get your votes in and give me your UN if I don't know it yet.

UN Counterterrorism Initiative
A resolution to improve world security by boosting police and military budgets.
Category: International Security
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Cluichstani UN Mission

Description: BELIEVING that the deliberate killing and maiming of innocent civilians by terrorists is a despicable and heinous crime;

CONVINCED that terrorism that is conducted, instigated, supported or aided across national borders is a valid and critical concern of the international community;

FURTHER CONVINCED that concerted international action is required to stem this menace, and;

BELIEVING that terrorism conducted by or on behalf of recognized governments is a complex issue best addressed by separate legislation related to the laws of war,

The United Nations

1. DEFINES, for the purposes of this resolution, terrorism as the use or threatened use of violence by persons or organizations other than national governments for the purpose of achieving political, religious or ideological goals by primarily and deliberately targeting members of the civilian population;

2. DEFINES, for the purposes of this resolution, a civilian as a person who is (1) not a member of a military, paramilitary or law-enforcement organization of a nation, or (2) a member of such an organization, but not under arms or performing military duties or functions;

3. DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution, international terrorism as terrorism that is conducted, instigated, aided, or abetted by persons or groups from outside the borders of the nation in which it takes place;

4. CONDEMNS all acts of international terrorism;

5. DECLARES that every state has a duty to refrain from organizing, assisting or participating in international terrorism or acquiescing in activities within its territory which further such acts.

6. MANDATES that all member states shall:

A. Criminalize and suppress the financing, solicitation of, planning, preparation for, aiding, and perpetration of international terrorism;

B. Freeze, without unnecessary delay, funds and other assets of persons who commit, conspire to commit, or demonstrably intend to commit or facilitate the commission of international terrorist acts, of entities owned or controlled directly or indirectly by such persons, and of persons and entities acting on behalf of or at their direction in this regard. Nations shall develop legal mechanisms to ensure that proper due process is provided in such cases where appropriate, but shall ensure that action is taken quickly enough to prevent removal of liquid assets from their jurisdictions.

C. Refrain from providing any form of support, active or passive, to entities or persons participating in international terrorism;

D. Deny, to the best of their ability, safe haven or refuge to those who finance, organize, support or engage in international terrorism;

E. Afford one another the greatest practicable assistance in connection with criminal investigations and legal proceedings related to international terrorism.

7. URGES all member states to cooperate in suppressing international terrorism and in taking action against it though administrative and judicial means and the exchange of intelligence, especially regarding the actions and movements of international terrorists, the use of forged or falsified travel documents, the use of communications technologies by international terrorists, and traffic in arms, explosives, or other sensitive materials – particularly weapons of mass destruction – by international terrorists.

8. SUPPORTS the commitment to address significant causes of terrorism, such as poverty, inadequate education, etc.

This resolution is currently up for vote in the UN.

Please post your views and stance on this resolution below. Note, however, that you must have a UN nation in The North Pacific, or on active NPA duty, in order for the Delegate to count your vote.

Against.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

1. DEFINES, for the purposes of this resolution, terrorism as the use or threatened use of violence by persons or organizations other than national governments for the purpose of achieving political, religious or ideological goals by primarily and deliberately targeting members of the civilian population

Not all oppressors wear uniforms.

Ok guys, let's come to our senses before someone gets hurt.

First off, here's the resolution:
Description: BELIEVING that the deliberate killing and maiming of innocent civilians by terrorists is a despicable and heinous crime;

CONVINCED that terrorism that is conducted, instigated, supported or aided across national borders is a valid and critical concern of the international community;

FURTHER CONVINCED that concerted international action is required to stem this menace, and;

BELIEVING that terrorism conducted by or on behalf of recognized governments is a complex issue best addressed by separate legislation related to the laws of war,

The United Nations

1. DEFINES, for the purposes of this resolution, terrorism as the use or threatened use of violence by persons or organizations other than national governments for the purpose of achieving political, religious or ideological goals by primarily and deliberately targeting members of the civilian population;

2. DEFINES, for the purposes of this resolution, a civilian as a person who is (1) not a member of a military, paramilitary or law-enforcement organization of a nation, or (2) a member of such an organization, but not under arms or performing military duties or functions;

3. DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution, international terrorism as terrorism that is conducted, instigated, aided, or abetted by persons or groups from outside the borders of the nation in which it takes place;

4. CONDEMNS all acts of international terrorism;

5. DECLARES that every state has a duty to refrain from organizing, assisting or participating in international terrorism or acquiescing in activities within its territory which further such acts.

6. MANDATES that all member states shall:

A. Criminalize and suppress the financing, solicitation of, planning, preparation for, aiding, and perpetration of international terrorism;

B. Freeze, without unnecessary delay, funds and other assets of persons who commit, conspire to commit, or demonstrably intend to commit or facilitate the commission of international terrorist acts, of entities owned or controlled directly or indirectly by such persons, and of persons and entities acting on behalf of or at their direction in this regard. Nations shall develop legal mechanisms to ensure that proper due process is provided in such cases where appropriate, but shall ensure that action is taken quickly enough to prevent removal of liquid assets from their jurisdictions.

C. Refrain from providing any form of support, active or passive, to entities or persons participating in international terrorism;

D. Deny, to the best of their ability, safe haven or refuge to those who finance, organize, support or engage in international terrorism;

E. Afford one another the greatest practicable assistance in connection with criminal investigations and legal proceedings related to international terrorism.

7. URGES all member states to cooperate in suppressing international terrorism and in taking action against it though administrative and judicial means and the exchange of intelligence, especially regarding the actions and movements of international terrorists, the use of forged or falsified travel documents, the use of communications technologies by international terrorists, and traffic in arms, explosives, or other sensitive materials – particularly weapons of mass destruction – by international terrorists.

8. SUPPORTS the commitment to address significant causes of terrorism, such as poverty, inadequate education, etc.

Fedele:
Against.

One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

(snipped quotation)

Not all oppressors wear uniforms.
What you say about freedom fighter is true, but just what do you think a freedom fighter is? Terrorism is defined in this resolution as deliberately targetting civilians...

Also, please explain 'Not all oppressors wear uniforms,' which I don't understand. Do you mean that civilians also actively oppress?!

Ateista:
Against...

Any attempt to fight the oppressive government will be labeled as terrorism..
THE oppressive government? I think 'a' is more suitable. May I remind you that oppressive governments have always had the power to, well, oppress. They do not need this resolution as an excuse. Besides, there is an EXPLICIT definition of 'terrorism' in this resolution, so your argument doesn't really work, unless you like having your, or other nations', civilians getting clobbered.

DPIU:
Aginsit

DPIU doesnt have terrorism!
Again, let me say that this is a resolution about international terrorism. Either you don't care at all what happens to other nations, or you're not interested in a resolution that will protect your nation against terrorist acts and guarantees that other UN nations will help out...or both.

Against....

Daimiaena has no concerns for the civilians of other nations....

Our forces protect our own people sufficiently....

Daimiaena will not be dictated to by the UN or anyone else as to whom it gives refuge...

OOC: By this definition the bombing of Hiroshima would be defined as a terrorist act....

OOC: no...the bombing was personally approved by the President of the United States, and carried out by the USAF, during an active war between two nations.

As to your callousness...it will take someone better than me to convince you otherwise...

**DISCLAIMER: I have no UN nation.**

The jist of this resolution is to provide restrictions against non-uniformed, non-authorized personnel from targetting civilians and non-military targets. Therefore, Americans bombing Hiroshima, under this resolution, is NOT terrorism. Likewise, if Hamas pretty much stuck to bombing Israeli military bases, under this resolution, such an act is NOT terrorism. Furthermore, this resolution only deals with international terrorism, which allows the individual nation to make its own provisos against domestic terrorists and freedom fighters.

If there was a situation in which the said freedom fighters were expatriated, the conditions for terrorism are stringest enough to allow legitimate military and paramilitary activity. A historical example of this would be the French Resistance during WWII that was conducted on mainland Europe from primarily England. Blowing up ammo dumps would not be terrorism, but if the Resistance had targetted German or French civilians, it would.

Therefore, I wholly support this resolution.

Do you mean that civilians also actively oppress?!

You are most perceptive. If someone were to blow a hole in the side of the Enron building, I could hardly call that terrorism.

Do you mean that civilians also actively oppress?!

You are most perceptive. If someone were to blow a hole in the side of the Enron building, I could hardly call that terrorism.
Well, as far as I know, the Enron Building is owned by ChevronTexaco, a gas/oil company. I don't know what you've got against them, but it would be terrorism in a lot of people's eyes, and I don't know what they've done, but the ChevronTexaco workers are still civilians. Perhaps you oppose this resolution because it mandates against passive support of terrorism, which I dare say you are showing...

Enron and Chevron have openly exploited their employees and customers not only by ruining the environment but by exploiting them for an unreasonable amount of monetary gain. This would be self defense. They would be fighting against someone who was openly oppressing and exploiting them.

The same would be true if someone went on a killing spree murdering members of crime syndicates and detonating explosives inside their homes.

Are you trying to say that mega corporations and crime syndicates do not oppress the people or are you saying they are not civilians?

Enron and Chevron have openly exploited their employees and customers not only by ruining the environment but by exploiting them for an unreasonable amount of monetary gain. This would be self defense. They would be fighting against someone who was openly oppressing and exploiting them.

The same would be true if someone went on a killing spree murdering members of crime syndicates and detonating explosives inside their homes.

Are you trying to say that mega corporations and crime syndicates do not oppress the people or are you saying they are not civilians?
They're civilians all right, but please remember that the kind of self defence you're describing is already illegal in most countries, so the resolution won't be much of a deterrent. Non-vigilantes would go to the police and/or the courts. Besides, I don't think it falls under 'political, religious or ideological goals' in the resolution.

And if it wasn't illegal...why are there still oppressive corporations and crime syndicates left? :P

The oppressive corporations and syndicates successfully exploit the people and, in effect, keep them under their control as servants locked in a cage defined by their own poverty.

If crime is illegal, why are there crime syndicates? Because the government is powerless to stop them or already corrupt. For this reason, the people must stand up for themselves or for others who are locked within the confines of the greed of a few elitists.

It is the duty of any communist or God fearing man to rise up and free his fellow man from the clutches of the devil even if that devil does not operate within his own borders. A true man, with true morals, helps his comrade regardless of whether or not doing so will benefit him or his native land.

Against

For all the reasons stated above that are against this proposal. Terrorism is all too frequently thrown around as a reason for invasion : see the US's invasion of Iraq.

Against

For all the reasons stated above that are against this proposal. Terrorism is all too frequently thrown around as a reason for invasion : see the US's invasion of Iraq.
Actually, no it's not. The communist, God fearing America was merely carrying out its duty to fellow human beings by freeing the Iraqi people from the clutches of the devil. Now don't tell me the Iraqis are so much better off while America has sacrified some of its own prosperity in doing this good deed.

Against

For all the reasons stated above that are against this proposal.  Terrorism is all too frequently thrown around as a reason for invasion : see the US's invasion of Iraq.
Actually, no it's not. The communist, God fearing America was merely carrying out its duty to fellow human beings by freeing the Iraqi people from the clutches of the devil. Now don't tell me the Iraqis are so much better off while America has sacrified some of its own prosperity in doing this good deed.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Oh my....such naievite....The american military invade for purely economical imperialist reasons...to expand americas tshirt/jeans/McDonalds/cocacola culture...

Saddam Hussien was a human being who maintained a peaceful status quo between the various warring factions in Iraq....(something the coalition haven't been able to do)....He was not and is not a Devil....though I admit he was n't very nice all the time...Not I repeat Not the Devil....

Corporate directors on the other hand who sell their souls for profit...(and the souls of their employees)....with a total disregard for the envoirnment are truly evil agents of the devil....and as such are valid targets for self defense action as described above.....

And if I was to organise action against Enron from outside the USA by this definition I am a terrorist....

The Piratic Empire of Alestrazsengradd
Received: Seconds agoMay I request an explanation as to why you would deem it wisest to vote in favor of not actively preventing and destroying present terrorism?

If you don't mind my saying so, it is rather sickening that you have so much power, and yet you don't use it to make the world a better place. This is based solely on my opinions, and as I have yet to hear your own, I apologize if I am wrong about you.

If, perhaps, you are opposed to getting into other people's business, consider that the terrorists are doing just that, and furthermore, UN countries need only respond in a non-violent manner. Surely this is acceptable?

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the UN Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back