Discord
Erastide
Voting ends Friday the 9th. :)

Repeal "Replanting Trees"

A proposal to repeal a previously passed resolution
Category: Repeal
Resolution: #23
Proposed by: Adolf Barham

Description: UN Resolution #23: Replanting Trees (Category: Environmental; Industry Affected: All Businesses) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: The United Nations,

UNDERSTANDING the good environmental intentions of resolution #23, "Replanting Trees,"

EMPHASISING that this repeal is not an attempt to make it easier for companies to deforest trees wantonly,

NOTING that trees are measured by a numbered count and not in acres making the proposal very vague and ineffectual,

FURTHERMORE NOTING that it only states that the responsibility of replanting the trees is held by the person or the enterprise who cut them down and makes no obligation for the individual or the enterprise to ensure that the replanted trees are able to grow and that there is no power to enforce that the trees are able to grow,

CONSIDERING that there may not be ample land to replant the required amount of trees available,

ALSO CONSIDERING that no reason is given as to why the trees should be replanted and that all this resolution achieves is wasting the money of each nation,

NOTING that the resolution makes no allowances for any trees cut prior to the resolution passing,

CONSIDERING that, under this resolution, it is possible to cut down small batches of trees numbering below five acres and not replant, thereby rendering the resolution virtually useless,

STATING that the resolution makes no allowances for different varieties or types of trees grown, thus allowing companies to destroy biodiversity,

NOTING that no allowances are given for the deforested area to recoup in certain nutrients after the deforestation,

DEEMING Resolution #23 to be an ineffectual and inconsiderate resolution which fails to accomplish its goals,

REPEALS Resolution #23: Replanting Trees.

Co-Authored by: Jey

This resolution is currently up for vote in the UN.

Please post your views and stance on this resolution below. Note, however, that you must have a UN nation in The North Pacific, or on active NPA duty, in order for the Delegate to count your vote.

Replanting Trees does absolutely nothing for the NSUN. It doesnt protect against deforestation, or any other environmental dangers. This must be repealed in order to potentially pass a better resolution. I vote FOR.

Former English Colony, why have you voted against already?

Replanting Trees does absolutely nothing for the NSUN. It doesnt protect against deforestation, or any other environmental dangers. This must be repealed in order to potentially pass a better resolution. I vote FOR.

Former English Colony, why have you voted against already?
Ummm... I need the name of your UN Nation in TNP before I can count your vote.

I vote usually to balance the vote before the end. However, I always end up voting as the people tell me to. I am at the service of the residents of TNP.

The people of the Commonwealth of Ceysil vote against this resolution as there is no viable replacement currently on the books. In fact, the replacement that Jey has drafted and coauthored with 666666666 is even worse than the current resolution this one intends to eventually replace, being full of loopholes and business type special interest stuff. Not only that, but it proposes to place a mere 10% of the existing forests of the region under federal control, leaving other 90% of the forests open to eventual logging and deforestation. I don't think I need to mention that, at least for my country, this would be unacceptable in the highest degree.

The proposed "replacement" can be found at Reveal and Repeal, topic #35.

Also, from a gameplay mechanics standpoint I'm not sure how the replealing of a UN resolution would affect my country's environmental status.

This one is tempting to fote for, since the original resolution is a paltry three or four lines.

However, I think that the repeal authors could have merely written another proposal in more detail and called it something else.

AGAINST.

NOTES that in order to pass a new resolution in the same catagory one must repeal the previous resolution.

CALLING ATTENTION TO the fact that some areas depend on logging as their primary source of income

RECALLING that the NSUN is a sinkhole for practically all regulations

BE IT RESOLVED BY the people of AlHoma, to repeal "Replanting Trees"

:fish: ^. :P

AGAINST

The proposed replacement seems no better, and the original, short as it is, will suffice until some can provide something better.

1) the replacement is not authored by Jey, but is authored by Adolf Barham

2) the replacement is STILL IN THE DRAFTING STAGE, and thus, like most drafts, sucks

3) This isnt about the replacement at all, but should this be repealed? It obviously should, the current resolution is terrible, and I don't even think there should be a replacement. If you do, vote for the repeal and draft a replacement yourself, and as the UN card says "stop whining".

:2c:

This is RL politics as usual only in the form the NSUN. No one thinks they can get something that is good, so they remain satisified with the mediocore status quo. Where's the idealism? If it is a crappy original resolution, then why not aim for better? To just stand behind it out of fear of another not passing is quite boring and pathetic in my most humble opinion...a well written replacement would be passed overwhelmingly.

TNP, come on.

:bat:

Like all good diplomats, Sarcodina understands the importance of keeping the locals onside... :P

I also don't see why we should feel forced to repeal a so-so resolution because of promises of a better one. Its all to easy for replacement resolutions to be worse than those they replace, and the cynic in me wonders about the number of resolutions to have been repealed with promises of better ones, when no such intention ever existed.

If resolution writers are so keen on provided better versions of current resolutions, then I don't think its too much for us to ask them to have near finished versions available so we can decide if their aim is an improvement.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the UN Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back