Embassy of Lazarus

Thanks for reopening the embassy, guys! :)

The Lazarene Gazette: 30th August 2009
Emerald7.jpg

Inactivity! Oh No!
Across the Emerald City, a somber, cold wind blows, winding down the empty city streets, curling around the desolate buildings, and hovering in long-abandoned doorways. Lazarus is quiet tonight, and a traveling visitor couldn't help but glance nervously over his shoulder at the silence stalking him as he wanders through the dark and lonely alleyways.

Yet if he listened carefully and had enough courage to approach the most derelict section of Lazarus in the center of the city, he would find the muted sounds of laughter and song seeping from the cracks in the cobblestone pavement and various dirty basement windows. For the Emerald City is not dead, but slumbers quietly, dreaming of the days when its citizens frolicked freely above ground and chattered loudly enough to keep the darkness at bay. In the city's underground, the tired but cheerful citizens of Lazarus keep to themselves and hope for the day when the Emerald City wakes up and is full of life again.

The Glorious Return of Aisli
However! Thankfully and miraculously enough, a veteran Lazarene has returned to the Emerald City, bringing a splash of much-needed vitality and sparkle to the region. After a year-long absence, Aisli, former High Chamber member and flirt extraordinaire, has burst through the gates of the city with the same mischievous and flippant air as before she left.

I was privileged enough to intrude upon Aisli’s busy schedule and have her sit down for an interview.

Hey Aisli! How the hell have ya been?
Aisli: Oh, you know, not too bad. Busy. Yourself?

The same, the same. So, are you excited to be back in Lazarus?
Aisli: Of course! I love Lazarus and always have. Lazarus is my home region, yo. It doesn’t get any better than good old Laz. I mean, you can’t beat the green. Isn’t it lovely and so cheerful?

Totally. Okay, so tell me, what have you been doing the past year? Is there a particular reason why you abruptly left NationStates?
Aisli: Um…not really. I didn’t get into a fight or anything with anybody. Real life just got ridiculously crazy, and my priorities had to change so I could get things under control. But now, now life is way easier, and I have plenty of time to pop into the world of NationStates. Yay!  I am sorry for abandoning all my fellow Lazarenes and NSers last year with no warning, though.  That wasn’t too cool of me…

Don’t worry about it, I’m sure they’re just glad that you’re back. So, got any plans? I know you used to be a fairly active member of the High Chamber…
Aisli: Well, I wasn’t planning on participating in the government this time around, or at least for awhile, but…well…we don’t have an Advocate of Foreign Enticement. And I used to be the Advocate of Foreign Enticement. So I’m thinking that, well, maybe, probably, I’ll run for that after all. You know. As a service to the region and all.

Sweet! That’s pretty awesome! And, finally, I have to say, in case you weren’t aware, that you’re really quite beautiful. It’s almost shocking how gorgeous you are.
Aisli: Awww, that’s so sweet! You don’t have to say that! I mean, I know I’m easy on the eyes and all, but you’re not too bad yourself, lady.

Sexy Lazarene Political News
The Council of Emerald City, although severely diminished in size from its former glory days, is still actively discussing several issues, all with the goal of increasing regional activity and revamping the structure of the government into something sexier and more exciting.

The biggest issue up for debate comes courtesy of Pope Lexus X: a proposal for a new constitution. The most significant change features a Senate instead of a Council. The details are still being hashed out, but it’s definitely an interesting (and sexy) idea!

There have also been several measures taken to combat inactivity among High Chamber members. Basically our new motto is, if you don’t stay active, you’re out!

27yps82.jpg

Lazarenes rejoice as Aisli returns to the Emerald City

Written by Aisli, Viscountess of Lazarus

Welcome back! I must say I rather prefer the elegence of the Lazarene Council to any proposed Senate idea which stinks of normality.

A Quick Update for June 2010...

We've just completed an election. Our new cabinet is as follows:

The Draugr: Harmoneia

Gatekeeper: Spectacor

Coryphaeus: Aisli

Cerberus: Dyr Nasad

The results were just announced this morning.

We nearly had a Delegate challenge, but that seems to have morphed into a spirited discussion on policy and the need to amend our Mandate.

Otherwise, things are just fine in the region.

Lazarus
Mid-July 2010​

Following a post-election activity surge, the region has slowed down considerably. With several players on holiday, and other RL issues popping up, it's been rather quiet in Lazarus.

We did manage to revise our Mandate (Constitution). Discussions have been on-going as to whether to make further changes, primarily to split the duties of the Activity Commissioner, formerly the Coryphaeus, in half, as they are currently expected to maintain activity within the region and on the forum, recruit, and generate all regional publications.

In the interim, our Interior Commissioner, formerly the Draugr, appointed a Deputy tasked with recruitment for the Activity Commissioner. Athanasius was the nation given this new assignment. Alas, a few days after the appointment was made, Athanasius announced on the forums of Europeia that he was quitting NS.

In Foreign Affairs, headed by the Exterior Commissioner, formerly the Gatekeeper, we have opened or exchanged embassies with Global Right Alliance, Kingdom of Ireland, The Dominion, and Region, Inc. We have also reopened our embassy with the Founderless Regions Alliance after a several year lapse in relations.

In Real Life news, Congratulations to our Delegate, Viktoria Gryfynn, who got engaged! We wish her and her intended a life time of happiness together.

Also, the first weekend in August will see a mini-Lazarus meet-up as Viktoria Gryfynn, Plots, and FreeSatania are planning to get together in the Stuttgart area. Exact date and time were still to be determined.

And that's what's happening in the Land of Restored Nations.

Lazarus
August 2010​

Lazarus' summer (or winter for the non-northern hemispherians out there) slump has continued. We have elections coming up shortly, and the hope is that will help jolt the region out of its slumber.

Lazarus RL mini-meet-up

Our Delegate, Viktoria Gryfynn, met up with Plots and FreeSatania at FS's house in Germany at the beginning of the month. By all accounts, a good time was had by all, though the promised pictures have not yet been shared.

Forum changes

Our General Discussion area was recently renamed. It was decided that the rest of the forum areas should also be renamed, and discussions have begun on what those new names should be.

Foreign Relations

Only one new embassy was opened in the month of August. We exchanged embassies with the Republic of Ireland. The region of Renaissance recently requested an embassy, and that request is currently pending.

All in all, it was a quiet month in the region of the returned.

Laz.jpg

The Lazarene Gazette - Oct 13th, 2010

The Lazarene Siesta
siesta1_main.jpg

A seaside romance, and a bed that demands to be slept in
When you are looking at your computer screen, watching that dvd, collecting friends on Facebook, following on Twitter, wasting your life away on You Tube, finishing that nasty paper or reading a fine book, it is at these times that your bed calls to you. It calls out your name, begging you to come under the covers, to feel the soft and warm fabrics and fine textures upon your body, your lover...caressing...and for reasons unknown I can't continue. Blame the terms of service. :scratch:

This too is the fate of Lazarus, as we post, then go back into the casual routine of real life or likewise move to other more active forums, this makes it problematic for someone like me who loses track of who actually runs the place, but maybe it just adds to the mystery or the nostalgia, ghost towns, especially with ghosts including are cool places to be, unless you get all scared and freaked out by collapsing buildings, or rusted iron which could likely put you in hospital or worse.

But that's the great part of being in Lazarus, everyone regardless of race, ethnicity or religious or political beliefs, ends up right here, no bullet or wound in Nationstates can kill you, the mods just bring you back to life, a shame that doesn't correspond to real life, in which case we could raise a massive army of mutant zombies, and bring all of Nationstates to its knees, in a terrifying late night offensive, and make them all our Zombie slaves, or in the very least make someone give us a decent cup of tea or coffee. :tea:

Elections, too many elections! Where's my dictator for life?

DyslexicDrunkKitteh.jpg

A drunk kitteh, reveling in a drunken, after election bash at the Tiki hut
It's another election finished in Lazarus, and since its been a while since the last update on what's happening here it would be a good idea to announce our friendly bunch of squabbling would be bureaucrats, of which I am one, which draws into the blatant bias of this publication towards a single perspective. :ninja:

North Harmoneia has been elected to the World Assembly delegacy, and Viktoria Gryfynn retains a place in Cabinet as Interior Commissioner, the Exterior Commissioner is Spectacor, the previous Activity Commissioner Anstan resigned leading to a snap election, Athanasius stood unopposed to take up the position of Activity Commissioner.

November, Movember approaches

MO-vember-FAIL-20-600x400-376x250.jpg

A movember mustache creation
We are almost at that time of year, where many people from all around the world show off their mustaches in an attempt to bring cancer awareness, and a full round of supporting the health and daily issues of being a man in todays society, perhaps you are taking part and have a mustache to share with us? In which case start a topic and post it, everyone here would be interested to see it. :D
The cartoon....

jefferson-9868333710.jpg

Well that's my opening issue, hope to be back to you soon with another one next month, when I hope everyone will be ready for some changes.

Editor: Athanasius

We are almost at that time of year, where many people from all around the world show off their mustaches in an attempt to bring cancer awareness...

:o
Wow. I never knew a mustache could cause cancer.

Or....

Does cancer cause mustaches ?

Westwind:
We are almost at that time of year, where many people from all around the world show off their mustaches in an attempt to bring cancer awareness...

:o
Wow. I never knew a mustache could cause cancer.

Or....

Does cancer cause mustaches ?
I'm not sure. I'll ask Athy. :)

The Lazarene Gazette - November 30th, 2010

Merry Christmas

merrychristmase.jpg

It is that time of year again, the day that gets accountants excited, shop owners ecstatic, and credit cards overflowing, that's right it's Christmas. Every time this time of year, people young and old, of many religious or ethnic backgrounds will take part in celebration of the end of this year and beginning of hopefully a promising and happy new one.

Perhaps you will get the presents you like under your tree or get absolutely what you don't and spend your Christmas annoyed or upset, perhaps you are spending overseas on a nice vacation, or maybe you just like to stay at home with family or go to church and celebrate the life of Christ, or more than likely just enjoy the season, the snow and the sun, before getting back into things in the new year and our dull, exciting, annoying, playful lives.

Twas the Night before Christmas Poem

T'was the night before Christmas, when all thro' the forums
Not a spammer was stirring, not even a troll;
The stockings were hung by WA resolution with care,
In the hopes that St. Nicholas soon would commend there;

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of next years issues danc'd in their heads,
And Max Barry in her smashing dress, and I on my keys,
Had just addressed the issue, a first prize beaut'y

When out on the net there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from 4chan to see what was the matter.
Crash went the windows, I'd seen it was flash
Tore open the shutters and threw up like that.

The mount on the best of the new tv show
Gave the feeling of warmth to kitteh below.
When, what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But a miniature sleigh, and eight tinny reindeer.

With a little old worm, so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment it must be a cruel trick.
More rapid than google his changes came,
And he added, and removed, and called them by name!

"Now Dasher.dll! now, Dancer. dll! now, Prancer.dll! and Vixen.dll!
On, Comet.dll! On, Cupid.dll! on, on Donner.dll and Blitzen.dll!
To the top of the folder! To the top of them all!
Now copy away! Copy away! Copy away all!"

As crap movies that before the tomato fly,
When they meet with a good review, mount to the sky.
So up to the mail list the spam letter's they flew,
With the sleigh full of Toys, and St Nicholas too.

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the screen
The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
Down the firewall St Nicholas came with a bound.

He was dressed all in code, from his header to his footer,
And his files were all coated with java and flash.
A bundle of Toys he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a zip file, just opening his pack.

His eyes-how they twinkled! his dimples how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the beard of his chin was as white as the snow.

The stump of a registry he held tight in his exe,
And the black it encircled his head like an ex.
He had a broad font, a little bit silly,
That shook the screen when I clicked, like an earthquake on telly!

He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old help,
And I laughed when I saw his programmer, in spite of myself!
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And fixed all the files, then turned out not a jerk.
And laying a txt file aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the firewall his program rose!

He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I read on the file, 'ere he drove out of sight,
"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good-night!"

Best wishes for a new year!

zombie_policia-2.jpg

Best wishes from everyone in Lazarus for a great new year, and a fun time all round! :)

Editor: Athanasius

February Lazarus Update

I apologize in advance for the non-flashyness of this update, but our regular writer has been MIA for a few weeks now.

The holiday activity slowdown stretched well into the last couple of months for us, as the ever dreaded Real Life has pulled most of our members away to deal with things in that realm.

Time for elections has rolled around, and we've begun the process. Nominations opened early this morning, and we've already seen a few members return after long absences, due to a region-wide email from new admin, Spectacor.

Hopefully, the region will be able to capitalize on this change in momentum.

Hello, friends! Lazarus managed to survive the annual April Fools prank, so that means I had to write this update after all.

A Sense of "Humor"

The aforementioned prank made for some fun reading on the region's RMB. Confusion and anger predominated, but we did go nearly a day and a half without adspam. Now we have just under a year to make sure all of the nations of the region have calendars, and know how to use them!

Heading to the Polls

The early part of March was dominated by the latest election cycle. The three Cabinet positions each had only one candidate. Viktoria Gryfynn and Spectacor were re-elected as Interior and Exterior Commissioners, respectively. Silmeria became the new Activity Commissioner.

The Delegacy was also included this time around. North Harmoneia, who has been busy in real life the last few months, did not run for re-election. Drop Your Pants, The Gauntleted Fist, Daffendor, and drakomagic all put themselves forward as candidates. Daffendor and drakomagic are two long-term residents of the region who had not been involved in the forum before, and this highlighted a few problems with the most recent Constitution (passed last June).

Drop Your Pants won the election (despite a few supporters forgetting to vote), and managed to overtake Harm's endorsement count rather quickly to take the position in-game.

Hard at Work

Nearly two weeks into the reign of DYP, the government has been somewhat busy. Viktoria Gryfynn has the Council debating the details on an amendment to close the loopholes in the Constitution that came to light during the election.

With the recent inclusion of embassies in-game, a discussion has begun on the region's policy in regards to them. Embassies have been opened for The United Federation, The United States of Europe, and The United States o America. The next order of business for the foreign affairs department will be to contact regions with inactive embassies to see if they wish them to remain open.

Quiet Time in Lazarus

Well, we seem to have once again found ourselves in a bit of a lull. It's not completely quiet, but activity levels have noticeably declined from the last month or so. It probably doesn't help that our Activity Commissioner is currently away in Real Life on a fun little excursion to India.

Puppet Contest

In an effort to get the recruiters who pass through our region depositing their adspam to be a bit more chatty, Drop Your Pants proposed a contest. The region with the best ad for a given week would gain a puppet from one of the Lazarus residents for their region. So far, no ads have been deemed worthy enough to qualify.

Legislation

The Emerald Council is currently voting on a couple of Election Amendments that will close the loopholes exposed during our last election. No longer will non-Council members be allowed to run for positions, and applications for Council membership will not be considered during an election period.

The Council has also voted on and approved a revised version of our treaty with The Rejected Realms. We look forward to many more years of close relations with our sister "Sinker" region.

Foreign Relations

A number of embassies were closed at the end of the month for inactivity of at least three months. But we have also re-opened embassies for the regions of Gay and United Kingdom, while opening new embassies for Jethnea, The Dominion, and The Walbard Union.

And that's our quick little update for May!

It was quiet around here too with the election being the focus, but let's hope both TNP and Lazarus can change that!

Thanks for posting this.

Just a quick update to close out the month, and my term as Exterior Commissioner!

Lazarus Invaded!

The middle of June found the Skeleton Army descending upon the region. Our Delegate, Drop Your Pants, surrendered immediately. And while the Thighbone of Surrender was quickly taken back to their home region for display, the army stuck around for several days to host a party on the RMB. We're not entirely sure what was in the drinks they served, as several Lazarenes are still passed out in various dark corners of the region.

Vacations

For those of us dwelling in the Northern Hemisphere in the Real World, June means the beginning of summer. And several members of the region took advantage of the warmer weather to take some vacation time. Plots, The Gauntleted Fist, and Spectacor were all away from the region for some amount of time during the month.

And we're still waiting to see if our Activity Commissioner, Silmeria, will return to the region following her return home from a long trip to India.

Council Membership Clean-up

Our Interior Commissioner, Viktoria Gryfynn, decided to do some cleaning up of the membership in the Emerald Council. She contacted those members whose nations could no longer be found in Lazarus, which is a condition of membership, and a few individuals who did not respond after several days had their memberships revoked.

Cabinet Elections Begin

As usual, our Cabinet elections have gotten off to a bit of a late start. Nominations have just opened for the three positions: Interior Commissioner, Exterior Commissioner, and Activity Commissioner.

Foreign Affairs

The FA department was rather quiet this past month. Though there were several applications, most did not meet the requirements in the Embassy policy. Only one new embassy was opened, with the region of Jethnea. We did not have to close any embassies, though, which we consider a good thing.

The Gazette is out!

The Gazette is finally out, albeit late. Of course. Its, like, a tradition and such!

Emerald Cabinet Election

And the Emerald Cabinet elections occurred this month. One candidate ran for each position, and they were elected with ease. Gauntleted Fist took the position of Activity Commissioner, Viktoria Gryfynn took the position of Interior Commissioner, and Mahaj was resoundingly elected as the Exterior Commissioner. Well done to all, and congratulations!

Summer Lull

As always, there's been a bit of a lull in the summer. However, Lazarus's RMB is doing fine. We encourage you to drop by and have fun!

IRC Channel

Harmoneia has created an IRC channel for Lazarus. You can check it out at #lazarus on esper.net What a creative name.

Greetings TNP,

Some of you I will be meeting for the first time, as I am relatively new to this job, so I hope you will be patient with me while I get used to my new responsibilities. My name is Viktoria Gryfynn and I am the new Exterior Minister for Lazarus. I'm really excited to be doing this job, and I hope to get to know you all a little better.

This short message is to apologise most sincerely for the lack of activity in our embassy for the last few months. Our last Exterior minister Mahaj was not doing his job at all and this is the primary reason for our absence.

A proper update will be released very shortly, however I thought it most appropriate to send a message to our friends and allies as soon as possible.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,
Viktoria Gryfynn

Lazarus is pleased to present to the NationStates world...The Nationstates Amazing Race!

Want to know more? Of course you do!

Teams of players must discover the meanings behind the cryptics, trivia and riddles used to hide the name of the regions each team must go to. It's not going to be easy, and each team has a different path before them, so helping your friends is out of the question.

Contestants may compete in teams of two or as individuals. They may represent themselves as players or represent their regions. Everyone is welcome to play. Each player must sign up with a puppet nation that is easily recognizable as the person it represents. If it's a team of two, both contestants must have a puppet nation.

Players must sign up on the New Lazarus Forums and await further instruction from the host.

For more information or to ask questions, please join us at our forums at: The NationStates Amazing Race or contact our Activity Commissioner, Griffin Somerset for more information regarding the event.

Signs ups will be open for the next two weeks or until the correct number of teams have been reached. We will run the race for no less than ten teams and have room for twenty.

Ok...so it has been awhile since anything has been out of our little old region but here it is. Oh, and I am stealing this emoticon. :shifty:

Quite well. Activity has drastically improved and the LLA has performed four, going on five, successful missions in the past four updates. :)

I haven't couped yet, either, so things are going smoothly.

Drop Your Pants:
quak1234:
Hello! Your profile picture is cute!
Fits in with my nation theme. Not sure when i picked sheep as a theme but i've been using sheep flags for the last 5 years of NS.
Oh, I see. At first I was trying to figure out what sheep had to do with dropping your pants, lol.

Back