Football

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
A revival of the thread from S2 where we can talk about football. Bear in mind that when I say football, I mean the game played with a spherical ball, not the other game.

on that topic....

2-1 to Barcelona! 10 man Arsenal vs 12 man Barca. But questions about the refereeing masked another question.

Why did Wenger continue to play four at the back when he only had 10 men and he was a goal down in the last minutes of a cup final?

Is "hoof the ball to Henry" going to be his only tactic until 2010?

Arsenal were probably, on balance, the better side, yes. But they gave Barca too much respect. they held back when they should have charged the artillery.

I’m with Arsene Wenger, the best manager our club has ever had, when he says this team is young and can go on to do great things. A word for him: brilliant. People might criticise him for selling/not replacing Vieira this season, but he had faith in this team when few others did, and they took us to the final of the greatest club competition in the world. For all their billions, Chelsea haven’t managed that. I’m so proud for him, and for Arsenal Football Club to have him as manager.

Best Manager? What about Herbert Chapman, manager in the '30s?

Led Arsenal to total league dominance in the 30s, and successfully lobbied to have Gillespie Road Tube Station's name changed to "Arsenal" - making it the only rail station named after a football club. He revolutionised tactics and training, and Arsenal won the first division five times.

Those were the days - when clubs had other things named after THEM, not named their things after other companies. What is the new Arsenal Stadium called again? "McDonalds Stadium"? "Spud-U-Like Stadium"?

It's Ashburton Grove, for all I care.

And, yeah, Chapman's up there, but the modern game is infinitely more intricate and challenging than the game was back then.

Thierry Henry is already clear that next season he will come to play for Barcelona. The footballing figurehead of Arsenal knows that the moment has arrived to leave London to join a team that has just been proclaimed champions of Europe and plays high-carat football. At Arsenal, on the other hand, he knows the possibilities of lifting trophies are far less. - Diario Sport, 5/19/06

I always refer to Arsenal as my home. I have been welcomed with open arms, the love I receive here - sometimes from non-Arsenal fans - is something I can't forget about. I've never played in Spain and never will. This is my last contract. - Thierry Henry, 5/19/06

So all the speculation can be put to rest. Thierry will sign a 4 year deal keeping him at the club until 2010. And you know what? Every single sports paper in Spain can go fuck themselves. For months they've been publishing stories fed to them by FC Barcelona about how inevitable it was that Thierry would join them. About how he's bought a house there. About how he doesn't rate his teammates. About how if Arsenal won the Champions League he would leave because he's got nothing else to win there and if Arsenal lost he'd leave because it's a sign of how poor we are. About how he's signed pre-contract agreements.

They present fiction as fact and it has come back to bite them on the ass. Their assurances to their readers that it was little more than a formality that Henry would sign make them look stupid and ill-informed. No doubt they'll spin the whole thing and make it look like they were right all along but he who laughs last, and all that. And we're laughing last, Gooners.

Ludovic Giuly. Go fuck yourself you little dwarf cunt. All season long we've had to listen to this no-mark 60 minute footballer telling us he knew what Henry was going to do. Ronaldinho, you can talk to Thierry as much as you like but you'll never play with him and you'll never be as good as him. And Barcelona's management must be sick because they wanted Henry to replace Eto'o who in public they say they want to keep but privately they can't wait to get rid of.

FC Barcelona blog - most of all I hope everyone now sees you for the piece of shit, Google ad snatching, ill-informed, sourceless, badly written load of muppety bollocks that you are. No links from me as you crop up on the Arsenal Newsnow feed like sores on a leper. Get fucked.

Maybe it's small minded of me to crow about this... Obviously I am delighted for Arsenal that he's staying because it means we keep the best player in the world but as well as that I'm delighted because I can chuck it back in my friend's faces. On Wednesday, I saw a young Barcelona fan walk past a camera with a Barcelona shirt with "Henry 14" on the back. Money well spent, you little twat.

Anyway, gloating over, it's just fantastic news for everyone. Arsene Wenger said:

I believe this season has created a special bond inside the team and there is much more to come. Wednesday night reinforced that feeling among the players and if you want to continue that progression it would rely on Thierry's decision. It is basically an insurance for the future.

While I liked this quote from Thierry:

In the last four or five months I have looked at the performances of kids like Cesc Fabregas, Emmanuel Eboue, Mathieu Flamini and Abou Diaby. I understand that people look to me to show them the way, but at the same time I look to the young kids to help me on the pitch. There is huge potential there and I want to be a part of that.

And that's the thing, there is huge potential. We can all see it and it will be easier to realize that with Henry at the club. I know some people got a little frustrated by how long the situation dragged on but there isn't an Arsenal fan alive who won't have been delighted by the news. Even players and pundits with loyalties to other teams are happy to see him stay.

There was the danger of losing a lot of experience this summer. We know Dennis is going and Pires is still more than likely to leave while Sol Campbell's future is still very much a grey area. The Intertron talks a lot about Ashley Cole definitely moving but maybe Henry staying will change that. From what I'm told he's much more likely to stay with the club than leave at this moment in time and a fit and right in the head Ashley Cole makes us a stronger team.

Arsene said yesterday he wants to add one or two players of "great calibre" to the team this summer. As usual that remark will be pored over by all Arsenal fans. Like many of you I think we need more than one or two but as I've said time and time again what Arsene says about transfers and what he does about transfers are very often two different things.

One thing is for sure though - having Thierry Henry at the club will help us attract the quality and the experience that we need to compliment the potential of the young players.

And there you go. The players will head off the World Cup and it's now officially off-season. This, along with the resurrection of this thread, means I have to try and produce some manner of an Arsenal blog every day (or so) without very much Arsenal news. Here's hoping for plenty of transfer speculation, if not I'll have to get creative and Christ knows where that will take us.

Ok, well let’s start the morning with some good news. Late last evening our old chum Myles posted a story about Sol Campbell being sold to Fenerbache for €12m. As yet the story has yet to be confirmed by the mainstream media - although the Mirror seem to have just fleshed out the ANR story - with only sketchy reports from websites in Turkish. If we get that much money for him it’s a ridiculously good piece of transfer business but there is some suggestion that it’s more likely to be a free transfer with the €12m figure quoted being Campbell's wages for the duration of the reported three year deal.

Either way we get shot of his massive pay packet and his massive arse. I won’t be sorry to see him go one bit. More on this when it breaks.

Johann Cruyff insults Thierry Henry:

He has taken a decision in the heat of the moment when you should make them with a lot of consideration.

If he really thinks that Thierry hasn't thought time and time again about his future then he's even more stupid than his pigeon Spanish suggests. It's ludicrous to think Henry made his decision based on what happened on Wednesday. No matter what the Spanish press say, no matter what Cruyff says, no matter what stupid blog cunts who try and gain an audience by writing in a language foreign to 99% of the club's supporters say we all know Thierry has thought long and hard about what to do. Time to stop insulting his, and our, intelligence with this claptrap.

With Robert Pires still likely to join Villarreal he could be joined by former Gunner Steve Sidwell who is an unlikely target for the Spanish side. Yes, it’s a very slow day today.

Just willing to point out that World Cup is beginning in less than 3 weeks. I'll be rooting for Netherlands and some others, because Finland didn't qualify this time (like it ever had!). I guess it'll take 8 to 20 years before our team will be seen playing in those games.
Do you have any favourites apart from your own national teams? What teams make you feel :ill: ? Who will :winner: at the end?

The following bunny strip shows my opinion of football:
250506.gif

Ha. Ha. Ha. Funny. Stuff. Oh. Stop. I. Can't. Quit. Laughing.

England B sucked it up the other night against Belarus, I hope their match against Hungary is better tonight.

He he... Balls of Mass Stupidity...

*wonders who we should invade to find them*

And if the mood of the English press is anything to go by, if Rooneys foot isn't healed, not only will we never win the world cup ever, the world will actually implode as well...

Not that I care (about the world cup I mean, I might miss the world if it implodes), bunny hit the nail on the head...

Well, with Rooney and Mickey Owen hurt, it seems to me that Sven maybe should have taken, I dunno, maybe Shaun Wright-fucking-Phillips!!

Terible mistake leaving him out, IMO.

So is that kid Theo Walcott any good? He is just 17 but already on the World Cup roster. I just read that he hasn't played a single league match so far in his team Arsenal, but now he came in as a substitute at 65 minutes for this friendly match against Hungary.

FC Wizard, a fantasy team for the World Cup.

#1 GK G.Buffon, Italy
#22 GK P.Cech, Czech Republic

#2 CD J.Terry, England
#3 CD Lucio, Brazil
#12 CD A.Nesta, Italy
#13 CD K.Toure, Ivory Coast
#4 RD Zambrotta, Italy
#14 RD G.Neville, England
#5 LD E.Eboue, Ivory Coast
#15 LD G.Van Bronckhorst, Netherlands

#6 M Emerson, Brazil
#10 M J.R. Riquelme, Argentina
#16 M P.Cocu, Netherlands
#20 M F.Lampard, England
#23 M Z.Zidane, France
#7 RW C.Ronaldo, Portugal
#17 RW P.Nedved, Czech Republic
#8 Lw Ronaldinho, Brazil
#18 LW L.Figo, Portugal

#9 F T.Henry, France
#11 F Z.Ibrahimovic, Sweden
#19 F D.Drogba, Ivory Coast
#21 F M.Klose, Germany

FC Wizard, a fantasy team for the World Cup.

#1 GK G.Buffon, Italy

#2 CD J.Terry, England
#3 CD Lucio, Brazil
#12 CD A.Nesta, Italy
#4 RD Zambrotta, Italy
#5 LD E.Eboue, Ivory Coast
#15 LD G.Van Bronckhorst, Netherlands

#6 M Emerson, Brazil
#20 M F.Lampard, England
#23 M Z.Zidane, France
#8 Lw Ronaldinho, Brazil
#18 LW L.Figo, Portugal

#9 F T.Henry, France
#21 F M.Klose, Germany
Fixed your post.

Here it is, my changes in bold.

#1 GK E. Van der Sar, Netherlands

#2 CD J.Terry, England
#3 CD Lucio, Brazil
#12 CD A.Nesta, Italy
#4 RD Zambrotta, Italy
#22 LD O. Onyewu, USA
#3 LD A. Cole, England

#4 M P. Vieira, France
#20 M F.Lampard, England
#23 M Z.Zidane, France
#8 Lw Ronaldinho, Brazil
#18 LW L.Figo, Portugal

#9 F T.Henry, France
#7 F A. Shevchenko, Ukraine

What an awful mock of football it was last night. Both teams played ugly, ref tried to hang on at the pace of events and everyone on the pitch whined about every call the ref made. Sportsmanlike behaviour? 16 rather fair cautions, 4 just expulsions. Hope England takes care of the Portuguese in their next game, it'd sure be better for the sport.

I was quite happy with the result. Hideous Step-Overy Cunt was injured, and Robin van Persie gets a nice long rest. Here's hoping Spain and France both lose.

That's wha I'm hoping for so all my Arsenal lads can get a nice long rest.

Senderos might need surgery on his shoulder. That's why I hate the World Cup.

Actually I consider Spain one of the few teams around that could have a chance against Brasil. Brasil tops my list of my least-favourite teams, so I can't share your wish. France's game seems to be fruitless again, maybe those boys are of more use back in Premier.

Go Ghana.

And Spain have one hell of a side.

Is it just my biased opinion, or is Cesc really, really, REALLY that damn good?

The Issue
The fierce debate on footballer hunting in OPArsenal has been brought to your attention after vociferous supporters of both sides of the argument stormed your parliament.

The Debate
"Footballer hunting is a cruel and horrible 'sport' for the wealthy," says Al McAlpin of the 'Protect Anything Cute and Furry Society'. "How can you possibly justify it? Oh, they witter on about 'tradition' and 'pest control' and other such nonsense, but really we all know it's because these sadists love to torture poor, innocent animals! Hunting must be banned!"
[Accept]

"Banning footballer hunting would be the end for centuries of tradition!" wails esteemed aristocrat Hope Nagasawa from atop his steed. "The thrill of the chase, the baying of the hounds, the footballer scooting through the undergrowth - it would be a travesty! We provide much needed stimulus to the local tourism, and you can't deny that footballers are pests - killing farmers' livestock for example! I propose that footballer hunting be encouraged, for the cultural - and economic - benefit of the nation!"
[Accept]

"Well, you know what I think?" asks Chastity du Pont, while helping to assemble a small trebuchet. "I reckon that the real issue about this sport is the cruelty aspect, and no-one can deny that sending a pack of dogs to tear apart a poor, innocent footballer is cruel. I reckon we should just ban hunting with hounds and only allow kinder and more instantly lethal methods like guns, tranquillisers, and cruise missiles."
[Accept]

"I'm firmly against the slaughter of dumb animals," says Klaus Nagasawa, while feeding an infant footballer with a milk bottle. "It would be best if the animals didn't die, and hunters could still do what they love to do - how about instead of shooting them or sending vicious canines after them, the hunter runs up to his quarry and gives it a symbolic 'tap' with his hand? Now isn't that much nicer for everyone?"
[Accept]

I love it when I get this issue. I wish I could hunt certain footballers...

Back