Ministry Statement

Hersfold

TNPer
In light of recent events, it appears there is need for me to make an official statement in my capacity as Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs.

The MoIIA's main responsibility is to attract new members to the regional off-site forum. In order to achieve this goal, a set of recruitment ads were posted on the Regional Message Boards of the other feeder regions and the Rejected Realms. The recent threats made by The Pacific to our government are the only complaints I have yet heard from the other regions.

It is my firm belief, that for the common good of The North Pacific, we must attract new members to our forum in whatever means available to us. Recruiting solely within our region has proven slow and tedious, and mainly involves the use of annoying telegram messages. By recruiting elsewhere, we are able to spread out to a wider audience and hopefully gain more members.

I do not intend to start any sort of war with any other region, however I would strongly encourage the members of The North Pacific not to back down to a foreign power. We are a soverign region, and have fought hard to remain so. Please do not allow that sacrifice to have been made in vain.

The United Federation of Hersfold
Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs

Why, then, I wonder- if recruitment is so vital- that you have started with it now at the end of your term? And I also wonder why you have decided to use RMB recruitment messages despite the fact that it is widely recognised as an ineffective method of recruiting.

Recruiting solely within our region has proven slow and tedious, and mainly involves the use of annoying telegram messages.
I would like to address this portion of Hersfold's statement. We have a huge region. As one who has on occasion TMd the region I can attest to the time-consuming nature of the task. However I am not convinced that it is an ineffective method of recruitment. Actually, it worked for me!

Perhaps if the MoIIA organized a team to TM the region, the job would be less daunting and more productive. I think it's worth a shot.

Any sort of message, be it via TM or RMB post can be perceived as annoying by those who are not receptive to it. If we have to run the risk of being annoying, it's probably better to irk individual nations than to irritate entire regional governments.

Want to try it?

I really think the logic in this decision is flawed.
For one thing, what makes you think that nations recruited from other feeders will be any more active on the forum then the ones in the TNP? Anyone who would have been interested in any feeder participation probably would have participated in the feeder they started in. Taking into account the relatively few number of players that actually join any feeder forum, how many of these actually take an active role in the forum, and actually post regularly?]
The main thing that I have a problem with is the apparant thought that an RMB message on the four other feeders and the two sinkers will have a larger yield of forum active members than TMs. I think some info is needed to back this up here, because from what Ive seen, RMB recruiters get about 10 nations a day per region? Possibly less? You can TG more than 10 nations in this region in the same time it takes to post a message on all the feeder/sinker message boards. (Depending on connection - I'm willing to test this idea) And, if it comes to it, you can always use scripted TG's, which I'm pretty sure are not illegal.
So, basically, I think ad spamming other regions is the lazy way out.

I agree with the above few statements.

Firstly, I believe it would have been wise first off to provide information regarding this to the Cabinet prior to the operation. I don't quite enjoy reading angery posts on something I just found about as well, and quite frankly I believe other Cabinet Ministers and members of this region would agree with me.

Secondly, would it not have been wiser to perhaps speak with the governments of the feeder regions prior to this operation? I am not interested in souring relations with other feeders, while we disagree with their style of government or their ways, the other feeders have similar qualities to us that should be expressed and used to create common ground, not openings for further conflict.

Great Bights Mum raises a good point. I believe that it is the Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs job to coordinate and direct the recruitment effort, just not be the recruitment effort. Saying that, a internal recruitment group should be formed under the direction of the MoIIA to recruit the over 5,000 nations we have here. This way the Minister would not find the job so daunting and not worthwhile...

This is not "backing down to a foreign power", this is ways to make our own region better.

Perhaps some kind of rules list on feeder recruitment could be drawn up, and all the feeders could be persuaded to sign it? It would prevent these painful arguments from happening in future..

If so, there are probably many things which need discussing..
There is also need to be a finger buffet, and personalised name tags.

i ove personalised name tags. if nametags are included, invite The Lexicon

[size=-1]we're practically a feeder anyway[/size]

And, if it comes to it, you can always use scripted TG's, which I'm pretty sure are not illegal.
I am sure those are the most illegal. The NS script commandments would probably read "Thou shall not TM others using thou automatic machinery"

Well, there have been a lot of changes in the Feeders since the last Summit. Perhaps it is an idea whose time has come.

Alas FL, size is not everything. I doubt if there would be much support for letting User Created regions be involved.

And, if it comes to it, you can always use scripted TG's, which I'm pretty sure are not illegal.
I am sure those are the most illegal. The NS script commandments would probably read "Thou shall not TM others using thou automatic machinery"
No, I've checked the rules, it is not illegal. If nations can update surf using scripts then scripted TG's will certainly not be illegal. Personally, I dont like them, but even they are better than RMB ads.

HC:
Why, then, I wonder- if recruitment is so vital- that you have started with it now at the end of your term? And I also wonder why you have decided to use RMB recruitment messages despite the fact that it is widely recognised as an ineffective method of recruiting.

I have made efforts to recruit throughout my term. These are simply the most obvious, because I am now making an even larger effort to attract members due to the elections. As to the ineffectiveness of the RMB messages, it must work, or else it would not be done.

Perhaps if the MoIIA organized a team to TM the region, the job would be less daunting and more productive. I think it's worth a shot.

I have attempted to do this - the task was delegated to my Deputy, but unfortunately there was not much interest in the matter.

For one thing, what makes you think that nations recruited from other feeders will be any more active on the forum then the ones in the TNP? Anyone who would have been interested in any feeder participation probably would have participated in the feeder they started in. Taking into account the relatively few number of players that actually join any feeder forum, how many of these actually take an active role in the forum, and actually post regularly?]
The main thing that I have a problem with is the apparant thought that an RMB message on the four other feeders and the two sinkers will have a larger yield of forum active members than TMs. I think some info is needed to back this up here, because from what Ive seen, RMB recruiters get about 10 nations a day per region? Possibly less? You can TG more than 10 nations in this region in the same time it takes to post a message on all the feeder/sinker message boards. (Depending on connection - I'm willing to test this idea) And, if it comes to it, you can always use scripted TG's, which I'm pretty sure are not illegal.

I have no reason to believe that the other recruits will be more active than our own. However, by expanding our recruitment base, we greatly increase the chance of attracting an active member. It is a very low percentage that register and remain active, but with more members joining, that amount would increase.
In my experience, TG campaigns are just as or less effective. I've been TG'ing within our region for the past several days, and for every 10 to 20 TG's I send, I get one response, that 95% of the time is along the lines of "I've already moved elsewhere" or "Piss off". With the flood control, I could post RMB messages faster. Scripted TG's are illegal - I have asked the mods about this before, and the response was a very quick "no".

Firstly, I believe it would have been wise first off to provide information regarding this to the Cabinet prior to the operation. I don't quite enjoy reading angery posts on something I just found about as well, and quite frankly I believe other Cabinet Ministers and members of this region would agree with me.

I was not aware that I had to keep everyone in the cabinet completely up-to-date about everything I was doing in relation to my office. I certaintly haven't seen anyone else doing that.

Secondly, would it not have been wiser to perhaps speak with the governments of the feeder regions prior to this operation? I am not interested in souring relations with other feeders, while we disagree with their style of government or their ways, the other feeders have similar qualities to us that should be expressed and used to create common ground, not openings for further conflict.

I had no idea that this would turn out to be a major issue. Feeders recieve hundreds of similar ads every day - one more region isn't going to affect them that much. This was not done for any sort of political motive, despite common belief, it was merely to recruit new members. I will partially address this further below.

Great Bights Mum raises a good point. I believe that it is the Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs job to coordinate and direct the recruitment effort, just not be the recruitment effort. Saying that, a internal recruitment group should be formed under the direction of the MoIIA to recruit the over 5,000 nations we have here. This way the Minister would not find the job so daunting and not worthwhile...

As said above, this was attempted, and failed.

Now then.

Having given this some thought, I have come to realize that I was mistaken in continuing to pursue this course of action with The Pacific. If they are to be truly hostile towards us for such a minor action, I cannot risk throwing our region into a war over it. I will continue to recruit in the other regions, as there has been nothing to indicate that they care, much less even noticed, the ads. I apologize to everyone for creating such an issue over this, particularly the ones I may have insulted or accused during the course of the last 24 hours. I will make an effort to contact BlackAdder and apologize for the incident, and attempt to wok out a way in which we will still be able to recruit without disrupting their region. If it is decided that this is not possible, then I will give it up. I can only hope that this gesture, intended as an act of goodwill and understanding, will help mend the recent rift between our regions.

If anyone still wants me impeached for treason, go right on ahead.

Thank you, Hers, for the mature and considered conclusion you have come to on this issue. I trust this will be received in as positive a manner as it has been offered, and a line can soon be drawn under this.

I want to know two things:

a) We're a feeder, why the hell are we recruiting from other feeders? The 5000+ nations in our region wasn't enough for you guys?

b) Hersfold & Flem: you guys aren't idiots. You know how the Pacific feel about recruiters. You knew what their reaction would be to this. Why the BLOODY HELL did you go start a diplomatic incident for very little the way to returns to the region.

Flem, I expect such an action from you, but Hersy? I thought you had comment sense and just a smidge of diplomatic savvy, son.

The point you have missed, Hers, is that you decided to tell The Pacific to go screw themselves when they told you of their laws and the punishments for breaking them!! You showed a complete lack of respect for the laws of The Pacific!!

If a recruiter posts a recruitment message on our RMB over 15 lines long, they are warned and if the reoffend, they are ejected!! How is your attitude in The Pacific any difference to the numerous recruiters thumbing their nose at our laws with regards to recruitment messages on the RMB?!

Simply dismissing your actions as minor is, in my opinion, not truly taking responsibility for your behaviour!! I truly hope The Pacific accepts your apology and we can move on!! I also hope that some of our government members learn to treat other regions as we expect to be treated!!

Our laws regarding recruitment posts on the RMB may be more lenient that those in The Pacific but that does not make their laws invalid when you enter their region!!

A true apology would address this issue..again, my opinion!!

Back