Recruitment Ads?

Hersfold

TNPer
In order to attract a few more RA members for our elections, I just went on a small recruitment drive throughout the feeders.

Want a region where your vote will count? Want a region where you can
have loads of fun? Want a region where you can feel at home?

Come to The North Pacific! Our elections are being held in just a few days, and
now is the perfect time to join up and have your voice be heard! If you're
interested in getting active, you can run for a seat on the Security Council. We've
got a huge OOC section on our forums, and our region is very friendly to everyone
they meet. Come on over and see for yourself!
http://s13.invisionfree.com/TNP

The United Federation of Hersfold
Minister of Immigration and Internal Affairs
Election Commissioner, May 2006
Forum Administrator, The North Pacific Regional Forums

That's the whole thing there - nothing too long, it's under our 15 line limit... but already I've recieved a bit of an argument against it:
From The Pacific:
Helvetiklande:
That's not even right. Feeders shouldn't recruit from other feeders. You'd think the Northerners would remember that we're comrades in this fight against spam. Sheesh.
The TAO Lands:
Is there no honor left in TNP?
My response:
Hm?

Feeder recruiting isn't illegal - and my job is to attract new members to our region and forum. You'll notice I kept my ad reasonably short - under 15 lines, which is what our region requests of recruiters. You won't get another ad today, as per the rules. I'm not sure what there really is to complain about.

The United Federation of Hersfold
Minister of IMMIGRATION and Internal Affairs, The North Pacific

Do you think we should be able to recruit freely as a region, as long as we obey the NS rules? Or should we keep to ourselves and be content with the new nations we recieve?

It's easier for them to poo-poo your initiative than to work at building up their own regions. Nice job, Hers! :clap:

I'd be willing to help with an in-region forum recruitment campaign, if you'd like to give me an assignment.

:lol:

TWP had a discussion about recruiting from other feeders before, they had settled on none. Tis perfectly legal, whether it's right or not... meh. Feeders all have different styles, some people may not be able to get into the other gov'ts while they'd like ours.

I think they're all just worried about getting banned from the Pacific. They want to look as loyal as possible.

I'd be willing to help with an in-region forum recruitment campaign, if you'd like to give me an assignment.
I did have experience with annother region going out and sending about a "every other week" telegram message to the residents so they knew what was happening in the region (in terms of governance). In fact some residents of that region are here now. I will let them explain more if they wish to. Personally I found it to be more inclusive of the entire region and helped bring out the meta-gaming aspect of the game.

Sorry, GBM, I didn't see this earlier. If you're willing to do this, please be my guest. We're allowed to spam up our RMB as much as we bloody well want to, and we can use every ad we can get. Not only does it shove off the recruiters, it helps us get more members. I hope.

Try to stay under the 15-line thing, but if you go over, it probably isn't a huge deal.

Alhoma, your idea sounds good as well, and I might start doing a sort of regional report in some of my recruitment ads elsewhere. Not too frequently, but often enough to let people know what's going on.

Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning...

16 minutes ago: The Emperor of BlackAdder goes Forth ejected The United Federation of Hersfold from the region.

They seem to be taking a rather active role against recruiters today. Funny, I thought I'd gotten out safely.

He's only doing what so many around here advocate (yourself included Hersfold) - banning adspammers. It's more than a little hypocritical to get upset about it.

He's only doing what so many around here advocate (yourself included Hersfold) - banning adspammers. It's more than a little hypocritical to get upset about it.
Adspam?

So the threshold for adspam is 1? I think that is a bit reactionary even for what I have experienced from The Pacific.

There were complaints lodged before the ejection. Hersfold quoted them above while seeming confused as to why anyone would be offended. I'm not sure why this was a suprise. Considering the endless topics around here on the subject, I amazed we'd engage in this sort of thing. The 15-line, couple of warnings thing is something we arbitraily set up here. Why do we think anyone else gives a damn about our rules with regards to their RMB?

There were complaints lodged before the ejection. Hersfold quoted them above while seeming confused as to why anyone would be offended. I'm not sure why this was a suprise. Considering the endless topics around here on the subject, I amazed we'd engage in this sort of thing. The 15-line, couple of warnings thing is something we arbitraily set up here. Why do we think anyone else gives a damn about our rules with regards to their RMB?
I love you Blackshear. :worship:

I also agree with Blackshear totally. I'm amazed that this was even considered to be honest. And anyway, what's the point? I think most of us are aware that RMB ads are not a very good way of recruiting and we have thousands of potential nations in our region who we should be trying to get on the forum rather than posting adspam in other feeders.

A feeder region's responsibility is to allow new nations to find a place to settle. According to NationStates rules, placing regional ads is legal in feeder regions and the RR as long as you only post one ad per day.

The main thing I don't like about ads is when they post the monstorously huge ones that take up half your screen. They effectively hide other ads and messages from actual members. It's not fair to us or other recruiters.

The recruitment ads sent out by me were intended to attract members to our forum so that they would sign up for the Regional Assembly in time for the elections. Last election, we did not have enough people to fill all the posts. I would very much like to not have to deal with that situation again. I realize it's too late for people to sign up and be eligible for anything other than the SC, but the more people we get, the more people will be able to run in August. And we can always use new members anyway.

The reason the complaints, and now the open threats, came as a surprise, is because a feeder region is expected to at least tolerate ads. That's what we do, despite the regulations, that's what others do. The Pacific is simply using this as an excuse to ban/eject people - claiming we're "subverting regional unity" and insulting us as they boot us out the door.

I am opposed to TG recruitment because, quite frankly, it's goddamn annoying. Today I recieved two ads via TG. I responded to the recruiters, telling them in no uncertain terms (but slightly more diplomatically than this example) that since I was already a high-ranking government member here, there was no way in hell I'd move anywhere else.

I've tried recruiting here, but honestly it doesn't seem to be doing much. I've been posting on our RMB and even TG'ing new nations for several days now, and we've only gotten 1 new member each day (according to registration stats). None of them have applied for the RA. I'm not even sure they've posted here yet. Recruitment in our region is far too slow to serve much of a purpose. The only viable option left is to go elsewhere in as unobtrusive a fashion as possible. And apparently for The Pacific, that's still too much.

During the last campaigbm Flem proposed the creation of a university here, and that was one reason why I supported his candidacy. In addition, we've had progress in developing a financial-banking system, here at these forum abeit outside of the NS game itself.

I happen to think both of these would do wonders to enhance the region's reputation and attract new players for the longer term. As to the regional ads in other feeders, it has to be on some sort of quid pro quo. If they welcome, or at least accept our use of ads on RMBs, then we have to extend to them the same courtesy. But offering things other feeders, or regions, don't have or don't do as well, will serve to attract more participation in the lonh run.

:lol:

TWP had a discussion about recruiting from other feeders before, they had settled on none. Tis perfectly legal, whether it's right or not... meh. Feeders all have different styles, some people may not be able to get into the other gov'ts while they'd like ours.
As Minister of Interior, bringing up the issue was one of the first things I did. I support Hers in this and think it was/is a good idea even if not diplomatically practical when dealing with Francoists.

I had not remembered the content of the TNP Law dealing with the Ministry of Immigration and Internal Affairs, in part because incumbents elected to the office since that time just chose to ignore that law, but apparently, the use of RMBs outside of TNP is not permitted:
TNP Law 8:
Section 2. Recruiting

The region shall have a recruitment team lead by the MIIA or a chosen subordinate. The purpose of this team is to recruit new members of the forum. These members may only operate within the region and may not advertise in any regional message board other than that of The North Pacific. The MIIA may choose a member to lead the Recruitment team and create the structure for Recruiting activities.

So I guess the question is actually moot.

Or a constitutional ammendment; that law seems a bit out dated and should be left to the judgement of the Minister of External Affairs. That is one of the problems I have with the constitution: it makes decisions for you. Ministers in TNP are simply playing the part of water running through the tubes laid out by the constitution.

God forbid someone should want to do something differently.

If someone who was highly instrumental in creating the document can't even remember all that it covers why on earth would we suppose newbs will even bother to read it?

As I've posted elsewhere TG recruitment is legal within NS provided the nation is in a Feeder region (or the RR/Lazarus).

The Lexicon, in its time must have recruited 100's of nations from The Pacific - and no I don't have the actual stats - players in The Lexicon mostly can't even remember which Feeder they were 'born' in.

However, we've had no complaints from The Pacific.

It still amuses me that they could so easily get rid of the adspam if they actually used their RMB for whatever it is that's so important, as could TNP.

thing is alot of TNPers, specially the high ranking ones here, don't even bother reading the RMB. TG recruitments are obviously annoying for old timers like us, but for new nations, I believe they'd be honored, a lot even posts on RMBs asking for regions to TG them and recruit them, just today, I spotted 3.

I have to say, I agree with Harmoneia on this. Back when I recruited, the most common response was pretty well considered and curious. New players like the fact that they are being noticed..

Back