Vote on Amendment Process

Firstly, excuse my posting in the Cabinet Meeting Room, but the following proposal hasn't seen any comments for a few days and I believe it should be passed on to the Cabinet for approval.

This is a proposal originally written by myself, changing the Constitution so that any given Constitution-changing bill is voted on in the RA first, then given to the Cabinet to review. It also includes a provision to override that veto with a 3/4 RA majority. I first proposed this way back in the day and it was rejected. I resurrected it during the last term but there was no time to give it to the Cabinet since there was a 2nd RA comment period after the proposal was resurrected.

A CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT Relating to the Modification of Existing Procedures Governing the Passage of Amendments.

BE it enacted by the nations and members of The North Pacific, Article VII, Section 2 of the Constitution shall be modified thusly --

A - The Constitution shall only be amended if a proposal receives both:
((A - Approval by a majority of the Cabinet Ministers. Cabinet Ministers shall have 15 days after the proposed amendment is selected by the Speaker for consideration to endorse approval of the proposal. This is to be followed by:))
((B)) 1 - Appoval by the Regional Assembly. A proposal for a constitutional amendment is adopted and ratified as part of this Constitution if, at a referendum of the Regional Assembly in which a quorum of members of the Regional Assembly participate, the proposal garners approval by no less than two-thirds of the votes cast during the voting period. This is to be followed by:
2 - Approval by a majority of the Cabinet Ministers. Cabinet Ministers shall have 15 days after the proposed amendment is passed by the Regional Assembly for consideration to endorse approval of the proposal. All actions by Cabinet Ministers in this regard shall be promptly posted with the Regional Assembly.
B - A proposal that fails to achieve the required majority in Regional Assembly voting will be categorized as a dead bill, governed by Article IV, Section 7.
C - Failure of any proposal to achieve the required majority amongst Cabinet Ministers will result in that proposal being returned to the Regional Assembly for a second notice and comment period. This period will be no less than 72 hours but no more than seven days.
D - During this second notice and comment period, the author of the proposal will declare whether s/he wishes to resubmit the proposal to the Cabinet or whether s/he wishes to call for a vote of the Regional Assembly to override the Cabinet rejection. Once a declaration has been made, the Speaker shall move to address the matter in a timely manner.
E - Should the author wish to resubmit the proposal, Cabinet Ministers will have no more than seven days to reconsider and vote on the proposed change. All actions by Cabinet Ministers in this regard shall be promptly posted with the Regional Assembly. The outcome of this Cabinet vote will be considered final. Proposals that are rejected at this stage are considered dead bills.
F - Should the author wish to submit the proposal to the Regional Assembly for the purposes of overriding initial Cabinet rejection of the proposal, a vote will be taken amongst Regional Assembly members. Such a proposal becomes law if a quorum of the Regional Assembly participates in the voting and the proposal garners the support of no less than three-fourths of votes cast during the voting period. Proposals that fail to reach this threshold will be considered dead bills.
G - Regional Assembly voting periods at all stages shall be seven full days.

((2) There shall be a notice and comment period within the Regional Assembly for the proposed constitutional amendment of no less than seven full days at the Regional off-site forum. The Speaker shall issue a notice of referendum on the proposed constitutional amendment as soon as practicable following approval by a majority of the Cabinet. The notice shall include the date on which voting shall commence after the seven day notice and comment period. The voting period shall be no less than seven days; the Cabinet may authorize a longer voting period to be included in the notice of referendum at the request of the Speaker of up to 14 days when circumstances warrant.))

It's about time if you ask me. Honestly, I think if this and the RA merger passes we would see a new dynamic with the RA being true forerunners of policy without any chance of meddling or indecisiveness by the cabinet.

I wholeheartedly APPROVE.

Hers, brings up a good point about language changes. Since the merger bill seems certain to pass, I will post a modified version to reflect this tomorrow so all Cabinet members can see it.

The original proposal has been edited to reflect the imminent passage of the RA/RV merger bill.

All references to RV's have been removed.

Since there was a majority of Cabinet Ministers that approved the initial version, I will leave this for a few more days in case anyone wants to register a complaint.

Back