-
-
Pronouns
she/her
TNP Nation
Former English Colony
Discord
Erastide
New UN Resolution on the floor. Voting ends Friday, so get your votes in by Thursday evening. Remember to state your UN if you're new to the voting.

Remittances and Tiny Deposits

A resolution to reduce barriers to free trade and commerce.
Category: Free Trade
Strength: Mild
Proposed by: Love and esterel

Description: The United Nations,

-A- NOTING that remittances can be substantial sources of revenue for many families in the world, allowing for greater access to healthcare, education, small business development, savings through tiny deposits or otherwise and community projects,

-B- REGRETTING that remittance services are sometimes not easily available or charge high commissions,

-C- DESIRING that more people with low income, in particular in economically developing nations, have access to secured tiny deposits and micro-insurance, in order to save money for education, access to land or other property or to be protected from basic life risk, fire, property/cattle/crops damage, weather risk or other basic risks,

-D- NOTING that remittances, secured tiny deposits and micro-insurance contribute substantially to the development of economically developing nations,

-E- DEFINING, for the purposes of this document:

* "Remittance" as a sum of money sent to people, accredited non-profit organizations or local community projects from a migrant worker,

* "Secured tiny deposit" as a recorded and uncharged small sum of money entrusted to an organization/bank/administration, which the account holder can add to or withdraw from, with a zero credit limit, and on which interest may be credited,

* "Micro-insurance" as the coverage by a contract binding a party to indemnify another against basic life risk, fire, property/cattle/crops damage, weather risk or other basic risks, in return for a small paid premium:

-1- URGES members to secure easy access to fast, low-charge/rate remittance services including free confirmation of the transfer, such as through increasing the availability of internet services and through international cooperation between post-offices and banks;

-2- PERMITS members to reasonably limit the transfer of currency, through restriction of remittance amounts, in the event of financial crises, and to take steps to reappropriate forged currency;

-3- RECOMMENDS members monitor, in cooperation with others nations, these international money transfers for eventual fiscal fraud, human and arms trafficking or other criminal activities;

-4- URGES members to increase access to tiny deposits and basic life risk, fire, property/cattle/crops damage, weather risk or other basic risk micro-insurances to people with low income, by encouraging non-profit organizations, banks, insurance companies or government agencies to offer these services;

-5- URGES members to set transparency standards relative to the management and origin of the funds and to the amount of indemnities, in order to avoid abuses, and to guarantee the security of tiny deposits and micro-insurances, in the event of bankruptcy of a legitimate organization offering such services.

Co-authored by Kirisubo

This resolution is currently up for vote in the UN.

Please post your views and stance on this resolution below. Note, however, that you must have a UN nation in The North Pacific, or on active NPA duty, in order for the Delegate to count your vote.

Anyone care to explain the proposal to me. It is quite confusing and I really see no point to it. :huh:
It's basically so that immigrants who go to new countries can share their (hopefully better) life with others back at home. A real life example is Cuba, in fact Cubans are so dependant of remittances from immigrants in the US that the American dollar bill is more common than the Cuban peso.

Seems like extra work for my country's part.

Direct from the Capital:

The House of Citizens, after taking a vote of its members, does hereby officially disapprove of the resolution "Remittances and Tiny Deposits."  King Henry VI has certified his agreement to this decision so the current stance of the nation is AGAINST this resolution.

rex7vj.gif

Seal of the King of Ator
testat31ym.gif

Seal of the House of Citizens

FOR

I'm sure the hundreds of starving families will understand how much of a bother it would be for your country to acknowledge them Ator.

FOR

I'm sure the hundreds of starving families will understand how much of a bother it would be for your country to acknowledge them Ator.
Starving people in *Ator People ??? That is taken care of by various programs already set up on the national level in my country as well as provincial level. These people do not need outside help and we do not intend on creating extra red tape to allow this.

FOR

Starving people in *Ator People ??? That is taken care of by various programs already set up on the national level in my country as well as provincial level. These people do not need outside help and we do not intend on creating extra red tape to allow this.
I meant the migrant workers family living in other countries looking for a better life in Ator People and it was tongue in cheek.

Greetings TNP,

First, I would like to thanks the Former English Colony who proposed me nicely to post on your regional forum.

I’m the author of the resolution at vote and I wanted to discuss it with you if you want to, to bring some arguments and to answer your question and comments if you have some.

I must also admit that I cannot do that on every regional board, but your region voting power is obviously convincing

Our proposal is only mild and don’t mandate any nations to do anything, it’s just a commitment, a tribune to some aspect of microfinance (microcredit is already the topic of resolution #117)

Remittances sent by migrant workers to their family home is a growing phenomena which bring money to many low-income people in developing nations. But these services are too often too much expensive.
And it’s a problem as this money is often hard-win money by these migrant workers and rare revenue for their family home.

There are some easy ways to make them cheaper: as the use of internet and more cooperation between banks and post-offices.
May I suggest you an interesting article on this topic:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/4423383.stm

Also in the world, lots of low-income people save money for access to property, taxi, rickshaw, cattle, future education, small business creation; but they don’t have access to bank account and this process is then risky for them. Savings may be stolen, burned, lost.
Many would like to save or save more if they have access to a bank account.

Savings, has been an important factor for the economic development in many Asian nations, as Japan, Korea and Taiwan for example

Thanks for your time

So essentially this should see UN nations (hmmm, now why say that, what does the N in UN stand for again??? :offtopic: ) working together to enable the greater good?

FOR

We have already voted against by TG, but would like to illustrate why we are opposed to this resolution.

We are concerned about the implications this resolution would have on the international banking sector. We are of the view that mandating the recommendations set out in this resolution would put at risk the health of the financial sector as well as dampen the investment climate such that clients (i.e. everyone who has an account in a bank) will see lesser returns on their savings and investments.

As such, we urge the residents of the North Pacific to remain steadfastly opposed to this resolution.

Steve Perry, GCRC,
President.

We are of the view that mandating the recommendations set out in this resolution would put at risk the health of the financial sector as well as dampen the investment climate such that clients (i.e. everyone who has an account in a bank) will see lesser returns on their savings and investments.
Eh? Care to explain how?

Points 3 and 5 of this resolution will actually work towards strengthening the international finance sector. And, furthermore, investments only actually work if there are more people with money to invest. Something which, again, this resolution should provide for.

And the whole purpose of the United Nations is to create better standards of life in larger freedom as well as to ensure the promotion of the economic and social advancement of all peoples.

I really don't like it when people say that any resolution interferes with a nation's personal affairs. If they don't like it, they shouldn't be in the UN; if they are in the UN, they should recognize community responsibility. :mad:

We are of the view that mandating the recommendations set out in this resolution would put at risk the health of the financial sector as well as dampen the investment climate such that clients (i.e. everyone who has an account in a bank) will see lesser returns on their savings and investments.
Eh? Care to explain how?

Points 3 and 5 of this resolution will actually work towards strengthening the international finance sector. And, furthermore, investments only actually work if there are more people with money to invest. Something which, again, this resolution should provide for.
Only insofar as to provide measures of transparency; after that, it is asking the international financial sector to incur high levels of risk by providing these "tiny" deposits. What happens when banks become high-risk players? They quickly lose their credibility, savings see lesser returns over the long-term, threatening everyone's investments.

I find the goals of this resolution laudable, but would not recommend implementing them at the expense of the security of your savings and mine. Nations need to tackle the real causes of poverty, which are lack of job opportunities and skills training, and reject yet another social engineering experiment by Love and esterel.

Steve Perry, GCRC,
President.

And the whole purpose of the United Nations is to create better standards of life in larger freedom as well as to ensure the promotion of the economic and social advancement of all peoples.

I really don't like it when people say that any resolution interferes with a nation's personal affairs. If they don't like it, they shouldn't be in the UN; if they are in the UN, they should recognize community responsibility. :mad:
:agree: :clap:

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the UN Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back