Word Power

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
OK. Here is a thread for words you know (or uncover) that others might not know.

Who says Nationstates cannot be educational?

Here's one I came across in a newspaper, and had to look up:

skiamachy - Pretending to fight, mock fighting.

"But Mum, we weren't fighting. We were engaging in skiamachy."

paizogony__________________Making out, engaging in foreplay, necking,

A useful word at last:

"Dad, can I go to Bradley's house tonight? He needs to teach me about paizogony before a test in college tomorrow"

"Of course you can, dear. Good to see you concentrating on your studies. Have the car keys."

Barathrum ________________ An insatiable person.

As in....

"my god, Bradley is such a barathrum. Last night he had me enagaging in paizogony for hours."

karezza _________________ prolonged sex without orgasm

As in:

"my god, Bradley is such a barathrum. Last night he had me enagaging in paizogony for hours, but unfortunately for me, it was just a case of karezza."

alabandical _____________ to get completely rat-arsed. So drunk that you cannot stand.

"my god, Bradley is such a barathrum. Last night he had me enagaging in paizogony for hours, but then he got so alabandical that he could not .... continue. So for me it was just a case of karezza."

I am on a roll....

aretaloger ______________________ one who boasts about their (sexual) prowess.

"my god, Bradley is such a barathrum. Last night he had me enagaging in paizogony for hours, but then he got so alabandical that he could not .... continue. So for me it was just a case of karezza. He claims to be such a stud! But really he is just an aretaloger.

ABSQUATULATE:
To make off, decamp, or abscond.

FLOCCINAUCINIHILIPILIFICATION:
The action or habit of judging something to be worthless.

COLOPHONIAN:
Relating to a colophon.
(Colophon, a weird-enough word in its own right, is the name for the inscription at the end of a book that gives facts about its publication or design.)

Houghmangandy - To have sexual intercourse with somebody you are not married to.

as in....

"my god, Bradley is such a barathrum. Last night he had me enagaging in paizogony for hours, but then he got so alabandical that he could not .... continue. So for me it was just a case of karezza. He claims to be such a stud! But really he is just an aretaloger. That is the last time I houghmangandy with HIM!"

This seemed apropos...

sesquipedalian ses-kwuh-puh-DAYL-yuhn, adjective:
1. Given to or characterized by the use of long words.
2. Long and ponderous; having many syllables.

noun:
1. A long word.

quiddler (n. ) - A person who hangs around wasting time at work and making conversation with people who are working.

No one like that here. :lol:

epicaricacy n. - taking pleasure in others' misfortune

as in....

"my god, Bradley is such a barathrum. Last night he had me enagaging in paizogony for hours, but then he got so alabandical that he could not .... continue. So for me it was just a case of karezza. He claims to be such a stud! But really he is just an aretaloger. That is the last time I houghmangandy with HIM, so next time you see him you can get a real sense of epicaricacy, because you know HE ain't getting any!"

Just really wanted an excuse to resurrect a brilliant thread.

Opprobrium

1 : something that brings disgrace
2 a : public disgrace or ill fame that follows from conduct considered grossly wrong or vicious

Poetaster

An inferior poet; a writer of poor or trashy verse; a mere versifier

Aequeosalinocalcalinoceraceoaluminosocupreovitriolic - a technical word used to describe the qualities of the waters at the spa at Bath, UK.

Or if one really wanted to be demented...

Methionylglutaminylarginytyrosylglutamylserylleucylphenylalanylalanylglutaminylleucyllysylglutamylarginyllysylglutamylglycylalanylphenylal- anyvalylprolylphenylalanylvalythreonylleucylglycylaspartylprolyglycylisoleucylglutamylglutaminylserylleucyllysylisoleucylaspartylthreonylle- ucylisoleucylglutamylalanylglycylalanylaspartylalanylleucylglutamylleucylglycylglycylisoleucylprolylphenylalanylserylaspartylprolyl- leucelalanylaspartyglycylprolythreonylisoleucylglutamiylasparaginylalanylthreonylleucylarginylalanylphenylalanylalanylglycylvalyl- theonylprolylalanylglutaminylcysteinylphenylalanygllutamylmethionylleucyalanylleucylisoleucylarginylglutaminyllysylhistidylprolyl- threonylisoleucylpriIylisoleucylglycylleucylleucylmethionyltyrosylalanylasparaginylleucylvalyphenylalanylasparaginyllysylgyycylisoleucyl- aspartylglutamylphenylalanyltyrosylalanylgutaminyllcysteinylglutamyllysylvalylglycylavlylaspartylserylvalylleucylvalylalanylaspartyl- valyprolylvalylglutaminylglutamyllserylalanyprolyphenylalanylarginylglutaminylalanylalanylleucylarginylhistidylasparaginylvaylalanylprolyl- isoleucylphenylalanylisoleucylcysteinylprolylprolylaspartylalanylaspartylaspartylaspartylleucylleucylarginyglutaminylisoleucylalanyylseryl- tyrosylglycylarginylglycyltyrosylthreonyltyrosylleucylleucylserylarginylalanylglycylvalythreonylglycylalanylglutamylasparaginy- arginylanylalanylleucylprolylleucylaspaaginylhistidylleucylvaylalanyllysylleucyllysylglutamyltyrosylasaraginylglycylphenylalanylgly- cylisoleucylalanylprolylaspartylglutaminylvalyllysylalanylalanylisoleucylaspartylalanylalanyglycylalanylalanyglycylalanylisoleucylseryl- glycyserylalanylisoleucylbalyllsylisoleucylisoleucylglutamyyylglutaminylhistidylasparaginylisoleucylglutamylprolyglutamyllysylmethionyl- leucylalanylalanylleucyllysylvalylphenylalabylvalylglutaminlylprolylmethionyllysylalanylalanylthreonylarginylserine

The scientific name for the protien compound with 267 amino acid chains "Trypthophan synthetase" (1,909 letters)

Now that would be a great nation name! :lol:

This is amazing - Flemingovia I hope your looking those words up mate :D

I'll be writing most of these down they are great.

Similar to Indiegirl:

Erythrismal - red by nature

Here's a good one...

Floccinaucinihilipilification [flok-suh-naw-suh-nahy-hil-uh-pil-uh-fi-key-shuhn]; noun

The estimation of something as valueless (encountered mainly as an example of one of the longest words in the English language);

To establish or state something that has no value.

Origin:
1735–45; < L flocc? + nauc? + nihil? + pil? all meaning “of little or no value, trifling” + -fication

Essentially the word means the act of saying something is a big load of crappy-crap-crap-crap. :P

sillybeeks

1) A mentally unstable female with a unhealthy fixation to organize sugar packets at restaurants. 2) Female that enjoys cooking and cleaning, as opposed to the modern day female. 3) Female that rejects modern day technologies such as cellphones

1) You sillybeeks, always playing with the sugar.

2) Lauren is such a sillybeeks, she made us all an entire meal and didn't ask for any help to do the dishes.

3) I couldn't get a hold of Michelle; that sillybeeks, she doesn't own a phone!

Febrile–adjective
--pertaining to or marked by fever; feverish.

Not afraid to say that when I saw this word in Crime and Punishment I had to look it up. Very rare! And a decent word

sesquipedalian
ses-kwuh-puh-DAYL-yuhn , adjective;
1. Given to or characterized by the use of long words.
2. Long and ponderous; having many syllables.
noun:
1. A long word.

fletcherize
FLECH-uh-rahyz , verb;
1. To chew (food) slowly and thoroughly.

Quotes:
"She ate half a sack of carrots, and knowing full well that she was eating forbidden fruit, she bolted them, and for her failure to Fletcherize - but speaking of Fletcherizing, did you dine aboard the train?"
-- Peter Bernard Kyne, Valley of the giants

Back