Chief Justice and Associates Justices!!

Poltsamaa

TNPer
Nominations are now open for the offices of Chief Justice and 2 Associate Justices!! Please refer to the constitution for the job descriptions!!

Currently serving Justices are eligible to continue in that office should they wish to do so!! Once nominations have been received, the Cabinet will select those they think most appropriate for confirmation by referendum as epr the Constitution!! Nominations will close in 48-72 hours depending on response!!

Is this the proper location for that notice? At any rate, here's the constitutional article relating to the nomination proceedure for reference purposes:

Section 2. Chief Justice and Associate Justices.

A - The Chief Justice shall be the head of the Judiciary of The North Pacific Regional Government. The Chief Justice is responsible for oversight of all judiciary activities in the Region, civil, criminal, or otherwise, including hearings on Regional security issues and ejections from the Region.
B - The Chief Justice and the Associate Justices shall serve a term of six months. The Chief Justice and the Associate Justices shall be registered voters who shall hold no other office during their tenure as judges.
C - The term of office of the Chief Justice and Associate Justices shall begin on the first day of the months of August and February. Nominations and referendums for the full term shall take place during the months of July and January. The Chief Justice and the Associate Justices shall be nominated by the Prime Minister with the advice and consent of the Cabinet, and during the interim period between the creation of a vacancy in the office of Chief Justice or an Associate Justice and the confirmation and installation of a successor to that office, the nominee shall serve as an acting judicial officer on the Court of The North Pacific and have the authority to exercise the duties and responsibilities of the office.
D - The appointment must thereafter be approved at a referendum, which shall extend for seven days, of the registered voters of The North Pacific, with the participation of a quorum, by at least a 50 per cent vote in favor of a motion for confirmation. The nomination and referendum election shall be conducted as expeditiously as practicable. If the motion for confirmation fails to receive such approval, then the appointee is not confirmed to serve as a judicial officer, and the Prime Minister shall promptly propose another nominee, with the advice and consent of the Cabinet, who shall act as a judicial officer, subject to approval of a motion for confirmation in a referendum by the registered voters of the Region.

Roman, Acting MoJ

The Court is independent of the Ministry of Justice, so it probably would be better had this thread been placed in either the Cabinet, Prime Minister, or Court subforums.

As this is not really a nominative process per se, this is simply a notice that I will happily serve another term, if the Cabinet should find it fitting.

As this is not really a nominative process per se, this is simply a notice that I will happily serve another term, if the Cabinet should find it fitting.
You have my cabinet vote and support, as always!

R

So, would anyone else be interested in being an associate justice? Or should we re-elect Thyatira, just because?

If nobody else steps up then Byardkuria will be our new Chief Justice and we'll have to fill the Associate Justice positions at a later date!! Not much point reappointing Thyatira when they are have not been active in their first term!!

I am, at the moment, the longest continously serving officeholder (without a break in terms of service in office) in TNP. I served as Minister of Justice beginning in April, and then immediately serving as Chief Justice when the Court was created in July. At the end of this Court term, I would have served for ten consecutive months.

It is time for a break. I chose to retire in part because I knew full well that the incumbent Prime Minister would never, ever, agree to my re-appointment for whatever reason. But even if that were not the case, ten consecutive months is a long time, and batterues need to be re-charged.

(And don't think it is just TNP. My UN has served as Vice Delegate, acting Delegate, or Delegate for the International Democratic Union for six months, and my UN is retiring from that obligation as well.

I'm not leaving the region; I am remaining as a registered voter and a Regional Assembly member, and I plan on standing for a third term on the Security Council. But I think I need a break from judicial office -- 10 months is a long time.

Did your magic 8-Ball tell you that?!

If you want to retire do so, but don't piss and moan about it being my fault for something I have not done!!

I think you must be nominated for most if not all positions, whether by those in office (cabinet ministers and prime ministers) I'm a little blurry in.

You also have to be a Registered Voter. I think all the elected positions (Ministers, etc.), you can just say that you want to run, nobody really has to nominate you.

And Schnauzer, Polts, calm down please. We don't need a full-scale argument to break out. (And NO, none of you has done anything illegal yet, I'm just cutting it off here, so don't jump down my throat :P)

ANYWAY, I would support Byard for Chief as well. Good luck. :)

I do not support Mr.Sniffles as an Associate Justice!!

My apologies Hersfold, but I find people's determination to blame others for their own decisions to be the sign of weakness and a feeble attempt to create a conspiracy where there is none!!

As there seems to be a bit of confusion, and for the benefit of our newest members, nominations for Court Justices (for those of you not up on the vagaries of such) work a little differently then the other offices.

The Court is selected by the Prime Minister, on the advice of the Cabinet. Those selections are then ratified by popular referendum. This having been said, it is not, in my opinion, inappropriate for the public to weigh in on the decision in public fora - whether or not the PM chooses to listen is another matter.

Incidentally, as someone needs to be keeping an eye on the clock ;) , the referendum for Court Justices begins January 24 (per the Constitution) - the judicial nominations need to be completed by that point.

We currently have!!

Chief Justice: Byardkuria
Associate Justices: vacant

I'd prefer the Associate Justice positions are left vacant rather than fill these positions with people who are not capable of operating in a justice role!!

Should suitable candidates make their interests known we can add them at a later date via the same process!!

Schnauzers has my personal thanks for the long hours he has logged and for the valuable service he has provided to this region.
GREAT JOB!!! :clap:

Poltsamaa, is there a short list of nations you would consider talented enough to fill the Associate Justice positions?

Not really!!

Anyone who has an understanding of the Constitution and the ability to look at events clearly and without bias!! You do not necessarily need to have the ability to post in legalese, just the ability to weigh up issues of the law in a manner that is fair and backed by the laws of the region!!

That being said, for the most part, Grosseschnauzer has exhibited these abilities as has Byardkuria!! Therefore, rather than have a short list, I'd prefer if interested nations put their name forward or if people with an idea of someone who might be interested would put the nations' names forward so we can follow up any potential interest in the vacant positions!!

I could suggest a few names, but realize that I have never spoken to them about the matter.

I could see both Wizard and Hersfold as Associate Justices. Wizard had has a baptism by fire with working with the Constitution the last four months; and Hersfold was deeply involved in the first revision of the Constitution last winter that was adopted in March. (I think he's been back long enought from his summer away from NS to have finally caught up with the work of the constitutional convention.

There may be other names, but those two come to mind.

Thank you for the suggestions, they seem like good candidates!! Perhaps you can ask them if they would consider taking on the role or, if they see this thread first, they could confirm or deny their interest!!

First of all, I'd like to thank the outgoing CJ for his faith in my ability to perform the role of AJ. I am honestly appreciative of that.

However, at this point I am leaning towards running for re-election as Speaker, since I served less than half of a full term before this past term. Indeed, to be honest there is some unfinished business there (including the Judicial Review request that Grosse and I have talked about -- I failed to get that out in the past couple of weeks due to being sick for a week amongst other things). I wouldn't want to abandon that project.

At the same time, I'm sorry to see the CJ leave, although he does deserve a break.

If Hers shows any interest, I would definitely support him. I believe he does have the impartiality needed for a Justice, and has that in spades, especially because of his moderator status (having to deal with administrative things from a neutral standpoint).

Thanks for the support, Schanuzer, Polts, wizard, but I think I'm in the same boat. I'm running for MoIIA this term. If I don't get elected, I might be interested, but I think it'll be too late by then. :no:

Again, thanks very much for the offer, but I think I'll have to decline for now.

I just nominated mr sniffles because he's the first one who came to mind and looks like he would be a good politic. He seems like a social person.

No problem but despite all the sidepunches from Polts (our Prime Minister) I wasn't really interested in it anyways. But thanks for the thought! :D

Back