-
-
Pronouns
she/her
TNP Nation
Former English Colony
Discord
Erastide
New UN Resolution, get your votes in by Thursday evening, voting ends on Friday.
Jolt thread is here.

Forced Banishment Ban

A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.
Category: Human Rights
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Waterana

Description: Alarmed that some nations use the removal of citizenship and/or permanent banishment of citizens from their home nation as punishment for various crimes/actions.

Defining banishment as the forcible permanent expulsion of a citizen from the nation of his/her birth or naturalisation by judicial or government order.

Defining exile as the forcible or voluntary permanent or temporary expulsion of a citizen from the nation of his/her birth or naturalisation by judicial or government order.

Defining citizenship as the fundamental and legal right of a person to permanently reside in a nation by virtue of birth within that nation, having dual citizenship of that nation and at least one other, or by an immigrant obtaining permanent citizen status under that nation’s law.

Noting such a punishment forces other nations to accept and care for these criminals. This forces those receiving nations to put their own people at risk, and to deal with the problems that the home nation is using forced banishment to avoid, whether they have the resources available to do so or not.

Believing that all a nation’s criminals should be dealt with within their own native nations borders if the crime/action was committed within that nation.

Believing a punishment that forces both dangerous and non-dangerous criminals to seek refuge in other states is grossly unfair and unjust to the international community.

Mandates the following

1. No nation may use forced permanent or temporary banishment from their home nation, as a punishment for any reason against a native born, dual or naturalised citizen.

2. No nation may forcibly remove the citizenship of any native born, dual or naturalised citizen for any reason.

3. No nation may use deceptive means to force native born, dual or naturalised citizens to agree voluntarily to permanent banishment from their home nation. Such methods include but are not limited to threatening the victim’s family and giving a choice between banishment and death.

4. No nation may change the citizenship status of native born, dual or naturalised citizens in any way to circumvent the above laws.

Any native born, dual or naturalised citizen may at any time give free and uncoerced agreement to voluntary go into permanent or temporary exile from their home nation if they so choose. In these cases, the victim must be allowed to take any personal possessions he/she wishes to take, and family/friends must be allowed to accompany him/her without restrictions. Voluntary banishment or exile must not include removal of citizenship unless the victim gives free and uncoerced consent.

In the case of voluntary banishment or exile, the home nation must find another nation willing to accept the criminal, with full knowledge of his/her background and crimes, before the victim is permitted to leave the home nation.

This resolution is currently up for vote in the UN.

Please post your views and stance on this resolution below. Note, however, that you must have a UN nation in The North Pacific, or on active NPA duty, in order for the Delegate to count your vote.

If this passes, the nation Bar Tea will, for a price, accept all your criminals, their friends and family members who wish to go into exile. :bat:

Great Bights Mum votes AGAINST.

Forced Banishment Ban

A resolution to improve worldwide human and civil rights.
Category: Human Rights
Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Waterana
Hmm. One of my old students at the Lem U. Better be good...

Alarmed that some nations use the removal of citizenship and/or permanent banishment of citizens from their home nation as punishment for various crimes/actions.

In order to keep them from voting and such? Depending on the crime, I personally don't find this that alarming.

Defining banishment as the forcible permanent expulsion of a citizen from the nation of his/her birth or naturalisation by judicial or government order.

Defining exile as the forcible or voluntary permanent or temporary expulsion of a citizen from the nation of his/her birth or naturalisation by judicial or government order.

Eh? By this definition, exile can also be banishment, which I suppose isn't too confusing, as they both mean basically the same thing... I guess this is ok. I ended up answering my own questions, so it should work.

Defining citizenship as the fundamental and legal right of a person to permanently reside in a nation by virtue of birth within that nation, having dual citizenship of that nation and at least one other, or by an immigrant obtaining permanent citizen status under that nation’s law.

Citizenship does not mean you have the right to live in a nation. It means you have the right to be protected by that nation's laws, as I understand the term. You can permanently live in a nation and not be a citizen. In the US, I think it's some stupid term like "Temporary Permanent Resident" or something (figure that one out)... one of my relatives is French, and had to apply... point is, this definition is wrong.

Noting such a punishment forces other nations to accept and care for these criminals. This forces those receiving nations to put their own people at risk, and to deal with the problems that the home nation is using forced banishment to avoid, whether they have the resources available to do so or not.

Only if you actuyally banish them, as discussed above.

Believing that all a nation’s criminals should be dealt with within their own native nations borders if the crime/action was committed within that nation.

"Unless the crime is to be legally tried based on another UN Resolution" or something should be added to that... and again, this is only a problem if you actually ban/exile/whatever them.

Believing a punishment that forces both dangerous and non-dangerous criminals to seek refuge in other states is grossly unfair and unjust to the international community.

See above.

Mandates the following

1. No nation may use forced permanent or temporary banishment from their home nation, as a punishment for any reason against a native born, dual or naturalised citizen.

Acceptable.

2. No nation may forcibly remove the citizenship of any native born, dual or naturalised citizen for any reason.

Eh heh - heck no. If we got the guy on election fraud or soemthing, I want to be able to get rid of his right to vote.

3. No nation may use deceptive means to force native born, dual or naturalised citizens to agree voluntarily to permanent banishment from their home nation. Such methods include but are not limited to threatening the victim’s family and giving a choice between banishment and death.

Acceptable.

4. No nation may change the citizenship status of native born, dual or naturalised citizens in any way to circumvent the above laws.

There goes Plan B...

Any native born, dual or naturalised citizen may at any time give free and uncoerced agreement to voluntary go into permanent or temporary exile from their home nation if they so choose. In these cases, the victim must be allowed to take any personal possessions he/she wishes to take, and family/friends must be allowed to accompany him/her without restrictions. Voluntary banishment or exile must not include removal of citizenship unless the victim gives free and uncoerced consent.

Duh....

In the case of voluntary banishment or exile, the home nation must find another nation willing to accept the criminal, with full knowledge of his/her background and crimes, before the victim is permitted to leave the home nation.

If they want to leave of their own accord, they can buy the plane tickets.

I don't think so. Format's ok, but that ain't what matters.

AGAINST.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the UN Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back