[GA - PASSED] Action on Period Poverty

Status
Not open for further replies.
A. I don't believe that students at virtual schools should be deprived of the access to menstrual products enjoyed by those at physical schools.

B. Schools are not expected or required to make exact stocktakes of how many of their students/staff menstruate. They must merely have enough for everyone. There is nothing wrong with:
  1. co-educational schools dividing their population by two, then multiplying it by the number of menstrual products needed,
  2. female-only schools multiplying their population by the number of menstrual products needed, and
  3. male-only schools offering a nominal number of menstrual products just-in-case,
in order to fulfil the Article b mandate.

I don't buy any of the economic arguments, since the cost is relatively minor, and Tin does not actually specify requiring free access to anywhere specified in articles(a)(i-iv).

Specifically:
- hospitals - health care of course does not have to be free except in very specific circumstances (universal STI being one of them and I oppose free health care anyway)

- educational establishments - again, no requirement that schools are free in the first place, I am an adherent to Milton Friedman, ie school vouchers

- employers - it's just a different way to slice staff welfare, like the free gyms, snacks and whatever at workplaces

- toilets - as mentioned, Tin lives in London according to her signature so she should be aware that London City public toilets are not free, so if a toilet is charged and provides free toilet paper, the expense of free menstrual products is not comparably more expensive.

Against after hearing new comments from fellow WALL allies. In particular, this one from Europeia (quoting Maowi from discord):

The trans one I am actually more concerned about as raised by Maowi ie the point about whether would a boys' school have to ask a trans male pupil whether they menstruate/expect the pupil to inform the school, given that I am aware of controversy in the US over whether parents have a right to know via schools whether teenagers are in transition or identify with a different gender etc.

Last edited:
My WA is not in TNP, but if it were, I'd vote for this. The concerns brought up in the IFV aren't sufficient enough to vote against it, and one isn't even a concern at all.
I oppose free health care anyway
You're so weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back