OOC: Exploration of Smithworks

I previously lsited shy over a million but looking at a wikipedia list, that seems quite small. Maybe closer to the low 4 millions.

Fireball radius: 1.99 mi (12.5 mi²)
Maximum size of the nuclear fireball; relevance to lived effects depends on height of detonation. If it touches the ground, the amount of radioactive fallout is significantly increased.

Radiation radius (500 rem): 2.11 mi (14 mi²)
500 rem radiation dose; without medical treatment, there can be expected between 50% and 90% mortality from acute effects alone. Dying takes between several hours and several weeks.

Air blast radius (20 psi): 2.95 mi (27.4 mi²)
At 20 psi overpressure, heavily built concrete buildings are severely damaged or demolished; fatalities approach 100%.

Air blast radius (5 psi): 6.88 mi (149 mi²)
At 5 psi overpressure, most residential buildings collapse, injuries are universal, fatalities are widespread.

Thermal radiation radius (3rd degree burns): 18.1 mi (1,030 mi²)
Third degree burns extend throughout the layers of skin, and are often painless because they destroy the pain nerves. They can cause severe scarring or disablement, and can require amputation. 100% probability for 3rd degree burns at this yield is 12.8 cal/cm2.

======================

You may want something a little less powerful unless you want to have lots of damage and not too much left. Plus wide range radiation extending out from the city.

one last part while I have that...

Crater inside radius: 1,380 ft (0.22 mi²)
Crater depth: 700 ft
Crater lip radius: 0.52 mi (0.86 mi²)

Maybe she had a warhead off an ICBM in the bunker or similar? Would that sound plausible to you?

Let me ask a few questions here. It'll help to determine the damage to the city:

Was the bunker/blast above or below ground?
(Above ground means shock wave and damage. Below ground means less damage to city but still significant radiation.)
If Diana's plan was to destroy the city she would have most likely placed the nuke on ground level whether or not the bunker was under ground.

An ICBM is an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile used to deliver nukes in an oh so neighborly fashion to your least favorite nation. It's a missile that can travel across the globe and put a nuke in the middle of a city if not shot down.

how much damage do you want to this 4m person city?

Ceretis:
Let me ask a few questions here. It'll help to determine the damage to the city:

Was the bunker/blast above or below ground?
(Above ground means shock wave and damage. Below ground means less damage to city but still significant radiation.)
If Diana's plan was to destroy the city she would have most likely placed the nuke on ground level whether or not the bunker was under ground.

An ICBM is an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile used to deliver nukes in an oh so neighborly fashion to your least favorite nation. It's a missile that can travel across the globe and put a nuke in the middle of a city if not shot down.

how much damage do you want to this 4m person city?
I've already mentioned the bunker was (maybe) a mile underground, the nuke/ICBM/whateveritisnow was roughly behind the console Diana used to detonate it. As I've said, destroying the city was the missile's purpose but only in emergency situations, it should be about 40-60 years old.

Even if you popped off a 100MT bomb at ground level you'd only get 2,699,700 fatalities and 816,600 injuries. Unless everyone were standing at ground zero.

Ceretis:
Even if you popped off a 100MT bomb at ground level you'd only get 2,699,700 fatalities and 816,600 injuries. Unless everyone were standing at ground zero.
So roughly a quarter of the city dies?

Well, when you take into account the spreading/growth of cities over time, most of the people would indeed be in the inner city, with a bit less in the middle city, and just a slight fraction in the outskirts of the city.

[closes his eyes for a moment] Difficult to see. Always in motion simulations are...

1 mile underground is significant. a 10 or so MT explosion would be undercontained but severely muted. I'd have to estimate after running the math on containment and then plugging in detonation figures it may be equal to the following...

Crater inside radius: Conical

Crater depth: 1 Mile (Mostly filled)

Crater lip radius: 1,670 ft (0.31 mi²)

Air blast radius (200 psi): 0.66 mi (1.37 mi²)
Approximately the pressure felt inside of a steam boiler on a locomotive.

Fireball radius: 1.09 mi (3.73 mi²)
Maximum size of the nuclear fireball; relevance to lived effects depends on height of detonation. If it touches the ground, the amount of radioactive fallout is significantly increased.

Radiation radius (500 rem): 1.72 mi (9.28 mi²)
500 rem radiation dose; without medical treatment, there can be expected between 50% and 90% mortality from acute effects alone. Dying takes between several hours and several weeks.

Air blast radius (20 psi): 1.79 mi (10 mi²)
At 20 psi overpressure, heavily built concrete buildings are severely damaged or demolished; fatalities approach 100%.

Air blast radius (5 psi): 4.16 mi (54.4 mi²)
At 5 psi overpressure, most residential buildings collapse, injuries are universal, fatalities are widespread.

Thermal radiation radius (3rd degree burns): 9.51 mi (284 mi²)
Third degree burns extend throughout the layers of skin, and are often painless because they destroy the pain nerves. They can cause severe scarring or disablement, and can require amputation. 100% probability for 3rd degree burns at this yield is 11.9 cal/cm2.

Estimated fatalities: 985,800
Estimated injuries: 758,180

==================

You have to remember, Inner city and Inner blast radius are two different things. You may be in the inner city, but you may be outside the primary blast radius. Most people in the core of the city would be in the primary or secondary and tertiary blast radius. Primary radius = gone in a flash. Secondary radius die in days or weeks, tertiary mostly survive, the more that live in the outer rings the less dead they will be.

Syrixia:
Well, when you take into account the spreading/growth of cities over time, most of the people would indeed be in the inner city, with a bit less in the middle city, and just a slight fraction in the outskirts of the city.
That depends. Phoenix is a desert city with lots of land, the metro area is bigger than RI and Connecticut. People spread all over, and the city center is mostly business offices.

Ceretis:
[closes his eyes for a moment] Difficult to see. Always in motion simulations are...

1 mile underground is significant. a 10 or so MT explosion would be undercontained but severely muted. I'd have to estimate after running the math on containment and then plugging in detonation figures it may be equal to the following...

Crater inside radius: Conical

Crater depth: 1 Mile (Mostly filled)

Crater lip radius: 1,670 ft (0.31 mi²)
But wouldn't that throw up a ****-ton of debris? The city would suffer less direct blast damage, but a lot of it would be buried, right?

The blast radius of the explosion was muted by about 75% and yes, there would be tons of debris falling all over the city. Basically the core would most likely face liquefaction type issues (ground temporarily acts like water) and coverage by significant debris in the core. Extending out it would decrease the total thickness of the covering debris but there would most likely still include a hail of falling debris much like rain... but with dirt, rocks, cars, etc whatever happened to be pushed up and out.

See Wikipedia article on trinitite.

When the first atomic bomb was tested in the New Mexico desert, the explosion threw up a good deal of sand. This melted from the heat of the explosion, forming a greenish radioactive glass containing fission products.

We should see something like that here, only far more ubiquitous.

So, we need to bring shovels. :)

Here's something Sadakoyama doesn't have: dogs. We don't have any domesticated animals that aren't food, so no Search and Rescue or corpse dogs. We're going to have to find trapped survivors with high power microphones and thermal imagery, which isn't very efficient. That's a good place for another country to come in and show us up a little.

Nebula:
See Wikipedia article on trinitite.

When the first atomic bomb was tested in the New Mexico desert, the explosion threw up a good deal of sand. This melted from the heat of the explosion, forming a greenish radioactive glass containing fission products.

We should see something like that here, only far more ubiquitous.
Ooh, Shiny!

First, search and rescue dogs would die from radiation poisoning;

Second, trinitite actually contains very little uranium, and is not visually similar to uranium glass (although they're both cool. :) )

You should know by now that I only use stuff that exists directly or is within reality for existence. Just look at things I post, when have I ever whipped out a pink elephant ray gun that causes mental alchemy?

SAR Roaches

There are further examples from Texas A&M as well as a research lab in South Carolina I believe who are both vocal about their research. They're not the only ones though. There are already videos of the roaches being controlled. One video even posted by Reuters.

I guess that means I should just put this back in the box. . .

Just to warn you, when the Sadakhan see those roaches your people are probably going to get dry-humped. :)

Back