Govindia

I have taken the rather un-controversial step of warning Govindia for his continued aggressive questioning (harassment) of Eluvatar for personal info even after he was essentially warned by two administrators.

The post for which the warning was issued
The thread

Per our moderation policies, and in accordance with his previous warn level, I have suspended Govindia's ability to post for 3 days, and set him up for a week of mod preview when his posting privilege is restored.

I agree with your actions, DD.

I made the same request of Gov in the Tim for Delegate thread here

He proceeded to argue the same point in response to my verbal warning.

So, at this point, I would not be opposed to raising the warning level another 20%. I think that would make him banned, no? Before we take the next step, I would like to see some consensus from the team.

The following PM has been sent to Govindia:

Your warn level has been increased to 80%, which entails a 3 day post suspension and then a moderator review of your posts for the following week. I will not appeal to you in terms of basic decency or social graces, as you seem to possess neither, or choose not to use them. For the future, if an admin explicitly states they will warn you if you continue a certain behavior then you can expect to be warned.

You have the right to appeal this moderation action if you so choose.

DD

I don't believe there is much else that needs to be done, unless eluvatar would like those posts split out, in which case he already has the ability to do so.

I had to consult the mod warning guidelines to issue the warning so I know that another increase in his warning level would warrant a 1 week posting suspension and indefinite moderator preview. That would essentially be a ban for Govindia because he doesn't seem to post when he is on mod preview. I am open to a discussion of further corrective action because Govindia as a member is disruptive to this forum and causes inappropriate behavior in response to his own.

I agree with the raise due to the Eluvatar thread.

Obviously can't contribute to a ruling in the thread about me, but it's getting bloody annoying. I've messaged him on IRC already to inform him that this involves RL details that I have no plans to release. I've done the same exact thing in the thread.. multiple times, if I'm not mistaken. Consider this a request to moderation for action, if he doesn't knock it off.

Democratic Donkeys:
The following PM has been sent to Govindia:

Your warn level has been increased to 80%, which entails a 3 day post suspension and then a moderator review of your posts for the following week. I will not appeal to you in terms of basic decency or social graces, as you seem to possess neither, or choose not to use them. For the future, if an admin explicitly states they will warn you if you continue a certain behavior then you can expect to be warned.

You have the right to appeal this moderation action if you so choose.

DD

I don't believe there is much else that needs to be done, unless eluvatar would like those posts split out, in which case he already has the ability to do so.
They're certainly on the topic of my absence, so I don't expect I'll be splitting them off.

I have no objection.

However, before any further increase in the warn level to 100%, we should discuss it here first because that gets very close to a permanent ban (which the guidelines state is the step after 100%.)

The fact that there were multiple statements in multiple threads by multiple admins more than support the increase to 80%.

There's a report in the Report CP that I will go ahead and close since it appears to be from the same threads cited by DD and GBM.

i would suggest that this thread is the appeal.

Tell him the decision has been reviewed and upheld by the moderation and admin team.

Democratic Donkeys:
I am open to a discussion of further corrective action because Govindia as a member is disruptive to this forum and causes inappropriate behavior in response to his own.
In regards to this, I have to agree. Just in the past few months, I have noticed his insatiable need to start problems in the forums, causing other people to also cause problems, resulting in mass chaos. I am also open to discussion on that matter.

I'm rather surprised we have not banned him completely from the boards. I don't recall IP or Cathyy getting this much forgiveness and leeway before they were banned.

So are we going with a rejection of his appeal based on the support of the decision by the rest of the mod and admin team or are we using the appeal as an opportunity to discuss an outright banning? More than a few have offered an initial support of an outright ban and I would like to hear how others feel about that course of action. It seems to be a conversation we all will admit would happen at some point, why not now?

We should just let him know his appeal was rejected.

With the re-opening of the Madjack v Govindia case by the new AG, I predict neither is going to be able to refrain from further TOS violations. So, I am pretty sure the ban hammer is looming on the horizon.

I have sent him this PM:

dear govindia,

the entire admin/mod team has reviewed the recent warning given to you by Democratic Donkeys, and have concluded that the warning was both correct and proportionate.

Your appeal is therefore denied.

I should alert you to the fact that your warning level is now at a level that you should be very careful to review your posts before you make them. One more warning increase and you will be on indefinite preview. After that the only penalty is a permanent ban. Take care.

This case is now closed, so I do not expect or welcome a reply to this message.

Flemingovia

Govindia has not responded to my PM to him. He seems cautious of me for some reason.

He has, however, continued to press the issue with Eluvatar by PM. This PM from Govindia to Eluvatar was reported by Elu about an hour ago:

In your acknowledgement of absence thread, I simply asked what happened. Why are you unwilling to answer sir what happened? I am simply asking for a reasonable answer to a reasonable question, and I would appreciate it if you would please answer me in the thread.

Thank you.

I am getting very tired of Govindia, so I am probably not the best person to consider this objectively.

No it is. In Balder I warned him for language I believe and I received several pm's from him in Balder and a couple here to demanding it be removed. When he gets his mind on something he will continue to pester whoever it is he thinks would give in.

When we dealt with the AC 195 account early in the year, we assessed warnings separately for abuses of the PM system that took place when posting permissions were suspended for previous violations.

If Gov has taken to using the PM system to continue the conduct he was issued warnings for, then we are permitted to assess an increased warning level for the PM system abuse.

The problem is that we can't moderator preview his PMs even at a 100% warning level, so I guess we need to open the question of an permanent IP ban.

What we did for AC195 was put him in a special group which lacked the ability to send Personal Messages.

Edit: Please don't read this as opposition to an IP ban. I'd actually prefer it. But I'd be entirely satisfied with 100% warning and/or the removal of the ability to send PMs.

I wouldn't be opposed to either option. Although it does seem like going to 100% w/ blocked PM's will just delay the inevitable.

I think the way this is going is clear. We need to discuss an outright ban. He has already insisted that he needs to talk to me on IRC. It is likely that he will continue to pester anyone involved in the decision to increase his warn level. Giving him a 100% ban with blocked PM's is just delaying the inevitable. I think we have a duty to ensure that this sort of thing stops. He has been given plenty of warnings and opportunities to change his behaviour. As such, I would be in support of a permanent IP ban.

I'm reluctant to support the banning of an individual without recourse to the judicial system, but considering Govinda's appalling history of harassment of players both in NS and IRL, in this case I would have no objections. Consider this an abstention.

With good reason, the moderation of this forum is kept seperate from the judicial process of the region.

There seem to me to be three possible courses of action:

1. Take no further action, considering that the 80% warn level is sufficient for now. Perhaps give him an unofficial caution that he should stop pestering Eluvatar and others.

2. Raise his warn level to 100%, realising that the only further step available to us is an IP ban.

3. Recognise that his behaviour here and elsewhere over many months/years warrant an IP ban now.

Personally, and being more objective about it than i was last night, I do not think options 2 or 3 are quite warranted yet. But he is getting very, very close.

He is a citizen of the United States. I do believe that English is his first language. Certainly it has not been a barrier on IRC. The only time it might be, is if he gets particularly upset.

That is normally the case for second language speakers of English who have considerable skill with the language, that their grasp of it fails them in moments of high emotion. In any case, it is little excuse for any actions taken by him.

If his posts that are awaiting moderation are flaming etc - does that warrant a further warning? It's clear he is still ignoring it.

Ideally the mod preview period gives the offender a chance to learn proper behavior. That can include a mod asking the poster to edit a post in the queue. If there is a problem with the post, we just don't approve it.

Gov's post cited above is a problem. I'm not sure it crosses the line, but it certainly stomps right on it. I'm not approving it either.

The PM he sent Elu is worthy of another 20%, because he is still badgering Elu for the same thing I warned him about. So, I think his level should be raised to 100%.

While I am of course a party to the PM, I am rather skeptical the idea of doing nothing in response to it, given that he was just recently warned for posting the question, after having been cautioned.

If we want to be mild, imposing a PM restriction instead of rather than in addition to indefinite mod preview would work.

Back