TNP Nation
Kaschovia
Discord
kaschovia
moc_seal.png

A Hopeful Return
Opening Address: September 2024

Hello! (Again)

Before I say anything, I'd like to congratulate @Picairn on winning the election for Delegate, as well as @Sil Dorsett and @AraFuttio for winning their races, respectively. I am honored once again to have this opportunity, and I will make sure the continued belief in my ability to run this ministry has not been given in vain.

It was a year and four months ago that I last posted an opening address for the Ministry of Communications; I'd brought the ministry back from oblivion and shook the dust off its rusty typewriters and broken microphones. Now, almost as Communications had been teetering on the edge of consolidation into Culture, we find ourselves in this reality following the election. Naturally, as someone who has been a member of the ministry since practically the first moment I stepped foot in the North Pacific, I can't help but allow myself the usual hope and excitement. However, I've also been somewhat out of action when it comes to contributing to the ministry last term, so for all my experience in the role, I do not want anyone to expect miracles. We'll do as best we can as always and hopefully enjoy every moment of it, whether that's writing, broadcasting, editing, or just talking through our ideas as a team.

So, let's get started.

My deputies for this term are @Halsoni and @Jinkies. They've both laid strong foundations of activity in modern Communications, and I really look forward to working with them within ministry leadership. For now, Ruben will be taking the lead on organizing broadcasts through the NBS, while Jinkies focuses primarily on making sure our publications are planned and produced effectively. I believe this team has strength beyond doubt and will make sure not only that the sails are steadied but also that we are poised to charge in the right direction this term. If anyone is interested in joining the leadership team, please reach out to me and we'll have a chat. I know Ruben wanted me to make this opening address fancy, as is typical of us in Communications, but with everything that lays heavy on our plate, I must ask that you all forgive me if this is either too bland or to the point!

Stocking the Cannons

I'm staying metaphorical with my headings here (we're writers; what do you expect.) The platform of the newly-elected Delegate includes ideas on recruitment and innovation that we can definitely take on board. I will be opening some design tasks for more graphically-minded members of the ministry to sink their teeth into, especially in regards to recruitment and infographics, so keep an eye out for those! I will also be taking a more informal, chatty approach to recruitment gameside, seeking conversations with interested TNPers around the Communications ministry and writing in general, with the aim of breaking down those barriers between gameside and executive output. I also like the idea of seeking external writers, so this will be placed at the top of the list within these first few days of the term.

Singing the Sea Shanties

I do think my metaphor of a ship fits quite well with Communications at the moment. It can be really hard work writing and producing what is essentially art, especially with such high expectations for accuracy and quality, so it's crucial that we feel we're enjoying the journey this term and feel that we're being rewarded for the work we put in. I plan to reestablish the points system for Communications, but I'll be dialling back the minutia and sticking to the basics of recognizable output. That means articles, edits, and broadcasts. The term will end with an awards presentation for writers, editors, and broadcasters of the term, too. We all love trophies, don't we? And lastly, I'll also see what can be done in terms of card rewards, as well.

Seeing the Northern Lights

It was my intention during the initial revival of Communications to make the North Star our regular publication, but of course our shining jewel has been gathering a lot of dust in that time. It's perhaps one of the only things I do regret from my previous time as Minister of Communications, but I am sure everyone who's worked with me within the ministry knows just how difficult it has been to make the Northern Light a regular publication. In line with the Delegate's platform, we will endeavour to have an edition released by January; call it a Christmas present or whatever you will, but that's the goal. It'll take a lot of work, and we'll need to rethink our design approach, but I believe we can make it happen.

So, to recap the above:
  1. Recruitment will be bolstered through infographic design tasks, telegrams, informal conversations, and external outreach.
  2. Morale will be strengthened through a return of the points system, recognition for outstanding staff members, and potentially card rewards.
  3. The Northern Light will be brought back at the end of the term and an edition released.
The North Star and TNN

The planning, production, and publication of the North Star will remain roughly the same as it has been. We need a strong push at the start of this term to get back on schedule, but beyond that point we'll be smooth smailing. You will see more information about that within the next few days as I take stock of our current responsibilities and begin clearing the pipeline. In terms of the Northern Notes, I plan to use those recruitment strategies detailed above to source writers and new content. TNN should be an avenue not only for the smaller news bites that come up within the weekly activities of the region but also a mouthpiece for interesting, short-form pieces. I will begin speaking with those who answer the roll call about upcoming topics and events that could be covered, so if you want to write something a bit easier and shorter than a full TNS article, the Northern Notes is going to be best for you.

Radio and Broadcasting

Now that the Ministry of Radio has been reconsolidated back into Communications, it is my hope that we can prove more distinctively how well the two can work together under the same name. This begins with establishing momentum and recording shows as early on in the term as possible. I would like to continue what Simone started in terms of collaborating with non-TNP players on shows, but I will have to brainstorm with broadcasting staff on that. I also aim to conduct more focused conversations with our staff on recording, editing, and publishing techniques so we can lay the groundwork for future broadcasters to take on more of the responsibility for shows, whether that's hosting, recording, or editing. If you're interested in learning that side of things, let me know.

That's About It!

It goes without saying that I'm over the moon to be back in this position. We have a pretty busy few weeks ahead of us, but with enough energy and momentum, we'll be just fine. There are a lot of moving parts, and I will not pretend that everything is going to improve at the flick of a switch, but I'm going to do everything I can to leave the ministry better off by January. I will be posting a roll call imminently, so I will update this address to include that as soon as possible. I know this isn't as detailed as the revival address, but we have work to do, and that work starts today.

Thank you!

Kaschovia
Minister of Communications

Last edited:
Back