Pallaith for Delegate VI: There and Back Again

Pallaith

TNPer
-
-
-
-
We live in unprecedented times. The game is in flux, our region is in flux. Twists and turns around every corner. And in the middle of all that, we find ourselves with the first RON election for Delegate in almost a decade. TNP faces the prospect of an election featuring two former delegates, one who served only two years ago. As before, it is not lost on me how significant that is, because TNP prides itself on being a region of opportunity and a chance for newcomers to leave their mark. It will always be that. But TNP also has a responsibility, to its citizens and to the wider world. We must not lose sight of that. I cannot sit on the sidelines when the stakes of this election are as high as they are. That is why I have put myself forward yet again to serve as your delegate.

Obviously I had not planned to do this originally, just as most of you had not planned to reopen nominations and start this process over again. We had a very strong candidate who unfortunately could no longer put himself forward for service to this region. This is a shame, because Comfed has been steadfast and loyal to this region and has helped steer it through quite tumultuous times and has been invaluable as a voice abroad and a voice of reason within. He will be sorely missed, and we are worse off for no longer being able to call on his aid. I know a lot of people responded to his platform and believed in the vision he had for this region. I cannot promise to adopt that platform in full, because I did not plan it, nor did I have in mind precisely what he did. But I believe that it serves as a fountain of potential, the last piece of advice he can offer us for the foreseeable future, and I would be happy to bring it into the fold of our government programs. But this campaign will be about my vision and plans for the months ahead, and why I believe they are what this region needs at this important time.

TNP is still trying to complete work that began a year ago and is pursuing a course that was started over a year before that. We have been challenged by changes and setbacks with friends and enemies alike, have forged new bonds, tried different things than would have been thought possible in our history. The last time I was delegate we forged new alliances, strengthened old ones, and responded to a new state of gameplay that persists to this day. In the time since I served as delegate, this region has been pressured, extorted, forsaken by supposed friends, and ultimately attacked by the same enemies we have stood against since the day a former delegate shared his musings on alignment. We recognized the reality we found ourselves in, one that meant we were at war with other regions in this game for the first time in a very long time. That war has not ended, and our enemies are very much still intent on seeing our downfall.

In prosecuting this war, we have had to carefully balance competing interests and lingering wounds left by some of the very same allies who are essential in this fight, because of what happened last year that led to the resignation of a previous delegate. We have had to contend with competing interests and differences in opinion for how to handle matters of war and peace, and along the way we have lost allies over some of those differences.

Some have lost faith or have begun to question if this journey we are on is worth completing. The one thing all candidates in this race have in common is that we recognize this journey must be completed, and that we cannot abandon it. Naturally we all have different ideas about how to do that. These are mine:

This is the most important area today, and one I am confident I can handle. I was the delegate who established our alliances through the PPO and the MGC. These are just as crucial to our interests and response to ongoing conflict in this game as they were when I first established them. In the years since, our relationship with our allies in the New Pacific Order and The West Pacific have blossomed in ways that sometimes still surprise me. They survived the dissolution on their end of membership in the MGC, and though they are not part of that alliance, we collectively continue to have strong communication with TNP’s other allies in Europeia, Balder, and The League. Those latter three make up the other signatories of the MGC, and while our relationship has been tested in the years since I last left the delegacy, they have held together and especially in the case of The League, have gotten better. I know them well, and we have mutual respect and trust for each other. No other candidate can say the same, and working with them will continue to be essential in the days ahead, to help protect our vulnerable allies, to augment our forces when facing our enemies on the battlefield, to enhance our interests in the World Assembly and organize and advocate for the principles and values we wish to see remain strong and viable in the world around us.

Looking ahead, we need to continue to galvanize the world against the regions who have continually attacked not only us but our friends and neighbors, who have ridiculed us and the democratic values we hold dear. I believe we have started to see some major strides in that area thanks to the effort of our FA team, and our alliances have begun to partner with some very crucial regions that form the core of most of the rest of the game outside our clustered GCR and top frontier networks. TNP has had a good relationship with the United Regions Alliance, but historically hasn’t gotten on as well with the Augustin Alliance.

In the wake of the F&S update these groups have only grown in prominence, not only in the World Assembly but as significant regions that have maintained significant size when so many regions have been forcibly adjusted by the game’s new mechanics. We have seen them awaken to the reality of the current gamestate, have seen our enemies overplay their hand with them. As with our allies who are also part of the FOCUS alliance, we have seen a well-known truth play out, that truly meaningful and lasting diplomatic relationships cannot be won with threats and violence. Further cooperation and partnership with these regions is essential to our work in almost every area, so making sure our diplomatic ties are strong and robust will go a long way toward achieving our goals.

The other candidates, including the departed Comfed, are rightfully concerned with the state of our FA staff. Like other areas, it has suffered in interest and engagement, and this is even more acute in FA because it is already so hard to train and utilize staff for more than just presenting information to other regions. I wish that we had the capability to do more in this area, but so much requires study and exposure to historical and current interactions between regions and some ability to engage as a diplomat would. Busy work doesn’t achieve this, and ambassadors have no realistic means to serve even as a bridge between the FA minister and the region they are assigned to. This is an old archaic practice that does not serve us and is a constant black hole to feed. It will not continue.

Moving forward, I will rely on the existing FA team that already handles the bigger issues and will accept applications to join this body. These applications will be far more extensive and intensive than any we have previously seen, a true test of an applicant’s mettle. Most will not be accepted. Those that are, will need to demonstrate not only a baseline of knowledge but an ability to learn and engage as a diplomat should. They will have a seat at the table and learn through observing and contributing to that area, and from there further advancement will depend on the skill and the ability they demonstrate. Promoting to higher FA positions has always been historically difficult, but if we focus on the essentials and bring on promising talent from the start, hopefully we’ll do a better job of identifying and fostering that talent.

Closely related to FA, especially these days, the WA has always been near and dear to my heart. While our ministry continues to operate like a well-oiled machine, it is always in need of talented individuals who can learn how everything works and know how to get more mileage out of it. As I have always said, our WA vote is a crucial resource, one that goes a long way to advancing our interests, but also in supporting and trading with other regions. We do not always utilize it as much as we can, and we do not use our expertise and skill in crafting resolutions and navigating them as a part of the service and benefit partnering with TNP can provide to other regions who may be interested. We have also established WA cooperation in several treaties and have not utilized it as much as we could have. This is especially important in the Security Council chamber, where diplomacy and FA concerns largely drive our participation. TNP has been a strong partner to our allies in this area, and we can expect the same from our allies, but this does not have to be so spotty in the case of the General Assembly. We have always put a premium on well-crafted and reasonable resolutions in this body and have relied on WA watchers and scholars to take the lead in identifying and understanding what is unfolding in the GA and the resolutions. We can better utilize institutions like WALL or our FA blocs to secure greater cooperation in GA votes, matters that almost never have FA implications or strong feelings one way or the other, so that our networks can also be of use to potential allies or groups wishing to partner with us.

And in an age where the GA’s consistency and quality are in question, and its leadership shrinks inward and becomes an insular echo chamber, we have an even greater opportunity to barter with other regions in how to handle resolutions. It is sad to see what has become of the WA in recent years, but if it too has been reduced to petty politics and performative motions, we must not shy away from utilizing it and maximizing its benefit as an extension of TNP’s largesse and ability to enhance the interests of those who wish to engage with it.

It has historically been the case that TNP’s vote is decided by its WA residents in the forum, and the delegate deviates from that vote only rarely and with good reason. Considering the sanctions that were deployed in consultation with the MGC, we have seen the voting thread become less important even in the GA votes due to the presence of sanctioned authors. The WA procedure will not change, and I believe the region should continue to exercise its right to express its opinion and preference on all votes, but I will acknowledge that this reality can sometimes feel like a burden to those who just want to engage on the issues. The WA is another avenue for us to pursue our interests and as one of the authors of the sanctions I intend to continue to honor them. The GA is not immune from the consequences that exist in all other areas of the game, and its proponents have chosen to stubbornly platform and engage with some of our enemies and their collaborators, sometimes seemingly out of spite. As has happened in many areas of this game, our stand against the worst lurking in the raider sphere has revealed the true nature and priorities of many WA players, and it is ugly.

Since I began playing this game, the WA has been a core part of what interested me and is a segment of the game I have cared to study and protect. TNP’s respect for it, and the value it saw in it, was unique among the GCRs, as was TNP’s influence and focus on it. I sometimes scarcely recognize what has become of it. Its problems are too numerous to list here and are irrelevant to this platform. But they existed before the sanctions and persist with or without them, and I for one can no longer turn a blind eye to them. I wish to have a less transactional relationship with respect to the WA and will continue to support and foster high quality and thoughtful work in that institution. But we must play with the cards we are dealt, and I am afraid a harsher line and more pragmatic approach toward dealing with the WA is required for the times we live in.

Those who know me know that when it comes to the military aspect of this game, I have neither the interest nor the background in R/D to navigate it as easily as other areas. I have also done this job many times before and have been a witness and part of discussions related to military aspects of this game. Over time I have learned the basics, the history, and a thing or two about how it works, particularly in TNP. It shifts a lot and has changed dramatically as FA relationships have changed. And since I last served as delegate, the potential applications of military gameplay have ceased being theoretical as it relates to our own security. We have enemies who have invaded our home just as they have invaded the homes of our allies. This is personal in the most personal way possible. We faced reality, we called our people to act, and we got to work. Over time as the wound scarred and fresh conflict was not ongoing, passions cooled and the force we brought to bear shrank back. This is inevitable and means that long term our army hasn’t had an easy driver of recruitment. Failure to retain the gains and provide a continued reason for the soldiers to pay attention and get involved have caused us to slip back to a place we have seen before.

But in many ways, it is worse than previous times. Our army is not a cohesive, close-knit group. They are part time soldiers because they only ever have something to do military-wise part of the time. Players who devote their time to updating and waging war in this game develop a skill that not everyone can learn and commit time on a regular basis that others have the luxury to spend in a different way. At times it demands a lot of them and the nature of this war means that we ask them to face off against significant numbers and energy that they alone cannot hope to match. The NPA was the most skilled and the most robust military at one time, but that has not been true for a long time. And in a game state where we cannot work with pretty much anyone on the raiding side of the game, and when the defender side is incapable of winning, there is only one solution.

The NPA must take the lead and rely on itself. It must rediscover what once made it great, it must be able to go on operations regularly, and win them, and in winning them galvanize more to join it. It must rebuild the bonds it once had, the players must be able to be secure in their identity as soldiers and find a home within their greater home that keeps them coming back and refining their skills. Its officers must lead the way and provide opportunities for soldiers to participate, it must be regular, and it must create a foundation for more experienced players to have people to impart their knowledge and give them a reason to participate. Older generals cannot sit in armchairs with no soldiers to advise or train. And up and coming soldiers will seek out places where they can hone their skills and continue to participate in the game in the way they are most comfortable, even if it is not in the NPA.

It's not hard to identify the issue and what needs to be worked on. The problem is how to do so. I can observe and study the issue, but the only thing that has ever worked in the past is finding the right people to staff the defense ministry and the high command. People who know this area and can act on that knowledge need the space and leave to do so. And they need to be able to pursue leads and find opportunities that will bring good results, not only victory on the battlefield but attracting talent and encouraging it to stay with us. I recognize this is not an area where I have much technical expertise or natural skill, and depending on what is needed we may not be able to comfortably fit the NPA into a box that perfectly fits with our FA without some awkward push or pull. This is a natural consequence of being an Independent region in a game state where we’re positioned mostly in alignment with defenders. There are principles we will continue to abide by, there are things we will continue to be unable to do because of FA realities, but our army will not do anyone any good, including our defender allies, if it has no one to update, and no one who has the skills to engage.

I have always been impressed with the talent and commitment of our soldiers. We need to do right by them and give them a chance to do what they do best. This means finding opportunities for them to practice occupying and capturing other regions, and we cannot wait for those regions to be extensions of or possessions of our enemies or their associates. To that end it is my intention to find a general who can find and lead offensive operations, with the goal of training and recruiting talent for our army. Another general will find and lead defensive operations, and each general will take point in coordinating with other regions and organizations in operations of the nature they are assigned to. Our soldiers should know how to do everything required in each type of operation, and there should be operations of every type to entice and engage the soldiers who may prefer one or the other. They should be frequent and consistent – the NPA should never wonder when it will next have an opportunity to participate, and with these shared experiences, and ideally victories, they should rebuild the camaraderie and sense of community needed for the NPA to maintain an identity beyond the few hours of each update.

Recruiting soldiers is not just about sending TGs and posting dispatches. It is not just about calling on pilers to a war-related occupation. People need to see that we have a military, it has to have a shape and players who represent it, it has to have an identity, and a place people want to visit and explore in greater depth, it needs to have wins and accolades so people feel it’s worth pursuing, and provides awards that actually have weight. I cannot take the lead here, but my Minister of Defense will need to. The hardest part will be getting the initial investment of participants to make the operations and the wins possible, but once they start happening, I anticipate a snowball effect that will make subsequent pushes and retention easier. Finding the right command team to see this through will be crucial, which means I’ll have my work cut out for me establishing the high command and minister that will make this possible. This likely means recruiting old talent to come out one more time and set the stage, or relying even more on the fact the NPA is now no longer a one-org institution.

This is another area where I do not have a natural affinity or skill, and yet it is consistently an area where I have seen much success and tried much experimentation. Culture is heavily dependent on ambitious and imaginative leaders who can inspire the talent of other players and showcase that creativity to the region and the world. And yet, most of the time in TNP it is just the place where sparsely attended music get togethers, picture contests and polls get repeated ad-nauseum. These days it’s also popular to talk about chess, because one summer a few players really got into chess and played in a tournament. People saw what happened and had the right idea, but the wrong execution. It wasn’t about chess; it was about a few players with a common interest exploring it and inviting others to try. This can be repeated any number of times, assuming you find something that more than a few people are interested in. You can release a poll or ask around to try to figure out what to pitch, or you can just start doing something.

Culture should stop focusing on a rigid schedule of the same activity and dispatch its staff to start whatever activities they happen to be in the mood for and invite others to participate. Chances are many of these invitations will go unanswered, or only attract a few individuals. This is fine. Even scattered activity that only involves a few people is worthy of notice. If it happens often enough, people will know there are people available to interact with, and the region is a place that accommodates such action. Culture will inevitably find a particularly salient or popular activity and repeat it if the interest is there. Most importantly, these will not be NS things, and don’t require a festival. Festivals can be fun, but too often the concept of a festival is considered first and something substantial is fabricated around it. Instead, organizers should have a clear idea of the kinds of activities they want, the kind of theming they can throw together effortlessly, and package it into a cohesive event that can be pitched to other regions. Passionate people doing what they love and what they know will be a better showcase.

In the past I have expanded the scope of culture by having it handle the things that were properly done in the traditional Communications ministry. Consolidation is not a popular concept, but the burden of a ministry is such that when it does not exist one does not notice as much the lack of its typical trappings, but when it does its gaps and holes are plainly visible and reek of failure and disappointment. Culture is the place meant to show the world what TNP’s community is about, what makes it unique and interesting. Our publications, our radio shows, our regional updates are more than just news dumps, they are opportunities to be facets of our region’s identity, and the best way to illustrate it. This campaign featured debate over deadlines and the best way to approach regular publications. I believe that the problem was not the existence of deadlines, it was the existence of authors and an interest in completing the work. When a product is ordered and expected to be delivered, there is attention paid to its content, but the content is designed to fit a mold.

Every time communications has previously focused on consistent and regular publication, and making sure it produced more, it relied less on unique content that drove a release and focused on cookie cutter and regular contributions that allowed a consistent product. Like with the activities, the communications side must start with a concept or an idea from someone who wants to realize it and build around it. When a publication becomes possible, it should be published. Otherwise, it should not be. Given the fluctuation of authors and the time constraints that often get in the way, it is unreasonable and unrealistic to devote a ministry to something that may take an entire term to be released. I believe we should continue to produce these releases, and we should continue to produce radio shows. But they need to be part of the natural output of our full culture team, and they cannot be the most significant or devoted projects that we sacrifice months to produce.

My plan is to treat our communications and radio output like how the gameside advocates work within Home Affairs. That is, communications and radio will consist of interested staff who work on these projects, ultimately overseen by Culture, but that staff will not itself be a separate ministry. Two Culture deputies will be chosen to head the written and the radio projects respectively, and other cultural projects will be encouraged to have a similar split. More than any ministry, culture needs to explore its passions, and the staff need to be able to pursue the projects that interest them. It does not make sense to hand down from on high a required project that all staffers must somehow devote brainpower and creativity to, when they may have no interest in it. The more of these groups working on concrete projects that consist of things inspiring them, the easier it will be for our region to have something worth showcasing to itself and to others.

If every other area in this government is working as intended, then Home Affairs should have an easy job. It would only have to point to our work and accomplishments, promise an opportunity for players to get in on the action, and show them where they need to go to take part. Much has been said about how overdone our telegrams are, and how HA’s traditional lists just don’t get the mileage they used to. It can be annoying to get lots of telegrams, but the important thing is whether those telegrams have anything worth selling. We can quibble about how to sell what we have to offer, but the real problem is whether those telegrams point to opportunities to just send telegrams and talk about things in the abstract, or if they can entice people. If we can entice them, we don’t just need to rely on telegrams. In fact, if we have more direct or personal or engaging ways to sell our region’s activities and opportunities, we can send fewer telegrams and reduce the negative returns. I would rather not give up on lists entirely, but we can afford to utilize them less if we have viable alternatives. This also helps with our mentoring efforts, as it is easier to help someone succeed in finding their way in the region if we have actual things to show them. I believe that HA has historically been a crucial engine in TNP to fuel our other ministries, but it seems to me that the other ministries actually feed into HA’s job and make it possible to do it better.

Gameside Advocates are a natural fit for Home Affairs because they are our telegrams and our informational dispatches in living form. This is why we must move away from automated messages and rely on unique and live posting from actual players. The GAs are the ones who are on the ground talking to our gameside residents, people who may become our future offsite players if they knew what was to be discovered. They will facilitate Culture’s projects and activities by being part of the mouthpieces that find participants. They will help recruit for the NPA by explaining and showcasing ongoing operations or ones that we successfully completed. They can talk about WA votes and what we’re currently voting on, or why we went the way we did. They can answer the basic questions or explain what it is that makes TNP work the way it does. Ideally, they are selling TNP with every engagement post they provide. And sometimes, simply by posting, they are themselves the thing that keeps people sold on TNP.

The RMB and our gameside areas are themselves sufficient enough to represent our community and serve as the starting and ending point of activity for many players. But for that to be true, of course, it must be regulated and managed. Gameside Advocates have always been looking out for troublemakers and problematic players and are our front line of moderation. This is constantly needed and can never be neglected, and it is always a struggle to resist falling into a routine and only doing this. But the job requires more. As the delegate who put the GAs into motion over 7 years ago, I know what they can be, and what they must be. They are HA in living form and must redouble their efforts to be the bridge and the source of illumination for our players that connect to every other aspect of our government and community.

I think it is high time we recognized the simple fact that when properly utilized, the Gameside Advocates are what HA must be and what it was when it worked best. They have always been part of it, but apart from it. I think we have probably had this backwards. Lists and sporadic communications shouldn’t be the primary purpose of this ministry. The work the GAs has been doing should be the primary purpose, with occasional assistance from lists or communications along the traditional lines. We need to flip this division on its head.

The Lead Gameside Advocate has often been the HA minister, and for good reason. The HA minister should run a ministry that is as ingrained gameside as it is anywhere else, because its purpose is to inform and maximize participation from our gameside community. Going forward I do not want to see these things divided, I want to see an HA ministry that is fully focused on advocacy and involvement that is on the ground as much as possible. Instead of two distant halves talking to each other but largely ignoring each other, there should be no separate halves at all. The existing Gameside Advocates space in our Discord will still exist as the nexus of moderation concerns, but the HA space in our executive Discord will be utilized by the same people to coordinate their communication and informational work. There will be no more Gameside Advocates, because our HA ministry will consist only of Gameside Advocates. Its membership will still consist of offsite individuals but will also feature primarily gameside-active individuals as it does now. The Lead Gameside Advocate will be the HA minister. I believe this shift is long overdue and will greatly enhance the efficacy of both former halves of the HA ministry.

To briefly cover lingering aspects of the current administration not highlighted here, obviously radio will cease to be a separate ministry, just as communications will not be, given my culture plans. The university will continue to be handled as it has been, but without a cabinet position. The Cards Guild will continue to operate as a semi-autonomous project managed by card enthusiasts, loosely under the auspices of the Culture ministry. It will not have a dedicated deputy overseeing it, as its operation will be outside the direct purview of the Culture minister, but for categorization purposes it will be organized under Culture. I will continue to work with our tech guild to find permanent and workable solutions to the void left by the collapse of r3n’s infrastructure. I hope to find a replacement for the old WADP and automated telegram and dispatch programs we once relied upon, so this project cannot fall by the wayside again. Successful re-implementation of these tools not only makes HA and WA’s jobs easier in maximizing their efficacy, it would make more reliable regional recruitment possible, and help us scale up our endorsements in a time when they are tougher than ever to get.

I believe the work we started in 2022 and have been continuing ever since is important and will play a role in the shape of NS for years to come. It is not finished. I believe that we need to continue to innovate and find solutions to problems that plague us and will pose a challenge in completing our delicate work abroad, and that we cannot afford to make any mistakes as we do that. I offer my experience, my knowledge of these events, my relationships with our allies and other key players, and my firsthand knowledge of ongoing projects and work that can continue with me at the helm. In a world where our borders can be trespassed and our security is uncertain, I offer my endorsements and influence in the game, and a fast transition so that we do not have to worry about outside interference and endless delays. We do need to try new things, and we need a new approach. I offer continuity to no small extent, but I have always prided myself on trying to forge new paths in this game. I did that the last time I was Delegate, and I will do it again. I hope you can see my vision and agree that it is the best way to move forward in these trying times. And if you do see it that way, I hope you will give me your vote.

This seems like a comprehensive analysis of the state of our region, but somewhat light on action steps. I will perhaps have specific questions later.

Full support.
Thanks, appreciated.

This seems like a comprehensive analysis of the state of our region, but somewhat light on action steps. I will perhaps have specific questions later.
I’m glad you think so. I can’t say I agree with your characterization as it relates to action, but I possibly look forward to your possible questions.

"...because TNP prides itself on being a region of opportunity and a chance for newcomers to leave their mark."

Are neither Dreadton nor Picairn suitable candidates for the office in your mind?

The consolidation of Radio and Communications into Culture is an interseing idea. I'm not opposed to it and I think it could be a very good solution to put some more spark and joy into the ministeries. Something I did gather from that interview with Europia is TNP hasn't done a great job at defining its culture (at least I don't know what it is or am too familar with it to identify it) and I think allowing those two ministeries to work under Culture to show off and expand TNP cultural footprint would serve the region well.

Yes I know I can't vote, I just wanted to say that I think this is a good idea.

"...because TNP prides itself on being a region of opportunity and a chance for newcomers to leave their mark."

Are neither Dreadton nor Picairn suitable candidates for the office in your mind?

I feel that the moment requires a more experienced candidate and I would put myself forward as the most experienced candidate in this race. I would not say they are unsuitable for the role period, but I would not call this a suitable time.

Full support. Your experience and leadership is exactly what our region needs right now.

Thank you for saying so, happy to have your support.

The consolidation of Radio and Communications into Culture is an interseing idea. I'm not opposed to it and I think it could be a very good solution to put some more spark and joy into the ministeries. Something I did gather from that interview with Europia is TNP hasn't done a great job at defining its culture (at least I don't know what it is or am too familar with it to identify it) and I think allowing those two ministeries to work under Culture to show off and expand TNP cultural footprint would serve the region well.

Yes I know I can't vote, I just wanted to say that I think this is a good idea.

It means a lot coming from you, because I know how important that aspect of our region's work was to you, and I would also like to see it succeed. I think this will be the best way to achieve that. Thanks for reaching out, and sorry you won't be able to cast a vote on this one!

I like your plan for HA and the going forward with the revision of the GA's and the return of the LGA role to the MoHA.

Full support.

I'll say Ghost, we have not always seen eye to eye politically or philosophically NS or not, but I can't deny that you are right for this time in our region's history. Your strengths aren't your flashiness or attention grabbing. You have always been a reliable and responsible candidate that did everything behind the scenes necessary to get the job done big or small. You've been in and out of the court and SC as well which gives you invaluable experience from every end of our government to do the Delegacy justice. I see you as an FA and diplomacy man first and foremost which is so essential to this ongoing war of ours. I think it also worth considering that you have a commanding position with your endorsement count as an SCer making the idea of a transition more tenable and protected from shenanigans of bad actors.

I know you are to humble to say this so I'll do the honors. You have poured your blood, sweat, and tears along with your heart into the continued success of the North Pacific all without the need for glory or complements from the people you serve. What we need in this region is assured stability. It's my understanding that Kasch was in many ways taking nods from your style of governance, and we see how excellently that worked out for TNP. I want a long storied voice of the region to guide us closer to the end of our current ordeals. There will be a time very soon when new voices can rise up and make TNP into something for a new era, but now requires the experience and dedication that has kept TNP distinct from all the other GCRs. For some reason experience has become a negative to modern politic, but I for one value and respect those who have built up the region and have stayed loyal to her for many years. This single voter believes in you and that you are the needed delegate for this time. With all this in mind, and for what very little it's worth, I give you the official Wondorsement. God be with you, Ghost.

I'll say Ghost, we have not always seen eye to eye politically or philosophically NS or not, but I can't deny that you are right for this time in our region's history. Your strengths aren't your flashiness or attention grabbing. You have always been a reliable and responsible candidate that did everything behind the scenes necessary to get the job done big or small. You've been in and out of the court and SC as well which gives you invaluable experience from every end of our government to do the Delegacy justice. I see you as an FA and diplomacy man first and foremost which is so essential to this ongoing war of ours. I think it also worth considering that you have a commanding position with your endorsement count as an SCer making the idea of a transition more tenable and protected from shenanigans of bad actors.

I know you are to humble to say this so I'll do the honors. You have poured your blood, sweat, and tears along with your heart into the continued success of the North Pacific all without the need for glory or complements from the people you serve. What we need in this region is assured stability. It's my understanding that Kasch was in many ways taking nods from your style of governance, and we see how excellently that worked out for TNP. I want a long storied voice of the region to guide us closer to the end of our current ordeals. There will be a time very soon when new voices can rise up and make TNP into something for a new era, but now requires the experience and dedication that has kept TNP distinct from all the other GCRs. For some reason experience has become a negative to modern politic, but I for one value and respect those who have built up the region and have stayed loyal to her for many years. This single voter believes in you and that you are the needed delegate for this time. With all this in mind, and for what very little it's worth, I give you the official Wondorsement. God be with you, Ghost.
Wondo, that’s probably the nicest endorsement I’ve ever received. Thank you.

I’m glad you think so. I can’t say I agree with your characterization as it relates to action, but I possibly look forward to your possible questions.
This won't matter much to many people considering most have already voted, but here are my more detailed thoughts/questions:

You wrote quite a length thesis on both WA and Defence, but I struggle to identify any actions that would actually be taken. In the WA section, you wrote in the end that "I am afraid a harsher line and more pragmatic approach toward dealing with the WA is required for the times we live in", which on principle is probably something that I'd agree with, but without any elaboration I don't actually know what this approach actually means. In Defence, you articulated a vision and said that identifying the right people to command the NPA will be the most crucial task, which I agree with, but that cannot be all. I recognise that you are not an expert on the NPA or R/D and that it can be difficult to lay out the specifics, but surely there has to be something else? Given the issue as you've identified is mostly about culture, I don't think it requires much R/D knowledge to come up with a plan or at least the start of a plan.

In terms of culture, the plan seems to be essentially "we'll let people do whatever they want", which...is understandable, but then what is even the point of the ministry existing? Giving people more free rein is a good thing when it comes to culture, but there must be a plan on how to capture and foster new ideas. I also question the wisdom behind folding communications back into culture, given that last time this happened it basically accelerated the death of the publications. Decreasing the prominence of the portfolio and essentially saying to its remaining staff "it's all up to you guys now" will not make results appear. And partially relying on formula to keep things going is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as there is useful information provided. There are plenty of interesting things that can be written about, and similar to what I said about culture, I think the ministry needs to play a role in capturing and fostering them.

I recognise that many of the issues we face as a region have no simple solutions and promised solutions are often just bandaids trying to conceal the underlying problems, so I am grateful for your analysis of these issues, but I am disappointed with the lack of substance in this platform.

Last edited:
This won't matter much to many people considering most have already voted, but here are my more detailed thoughts/questions:

You wrote quite a length thesis on both WA and Defence, but I struggle to identify any actions that would actually be taken. In the WA section, you wrote in the end that "I am afraid a harsher line and more pragmatic approach toward dealing with the WA is required for the times we live in", which on principle is probably something that I'd agree with, but without any elaboration I don't actually know what this approach actually means. In Defence, you articulated a vision and said that identifying the right people to command the NPA will be the most crucial task, which I agree with, but that cannot be all. I recognise that you are not an expert on the NPA or R/D and that it can be difficult to lay out the specifics, but surely there has to be something else? Given the issue as you've identified is mostly about culture, I don't think it requires much R/D knowledge to come up with a plan or at least the start of a plan.

In terms of culture, the plan seems to be essentially "we'll let people do whatever they want", which...is understandable, but then what is even the point of the ministry existing? Giving people more free rein is a good thing when it comes to culture, but there must be a plan on how to capture and foster new ideas. I also question the wisdom behind folding communications back into culture, given that last time this happened it basically accelerated the death of the publications. Decreasing the prominence of the portfolio and essentially saying to its remaining staff "it's all up to you guys now" will not make results appear. And partially relying on formula to keep things going is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as there is useful information provided. There are plenty of interesting things that can be written about, and similar to what I said about culture, I think the ministry needs to play a role in capturing and fostering them.

I recognise that many of the issues we face as a region have no simple solutions and promised solutions are often just bandaids trying to conceal the underlying problems, so I am grateful for your analysis of these issues, but I am disappointed with the lack of substance in this platform.
I fear I may have been too subtle in some areas. For WA, I am saying that we must leverage our vote explicitly when working with other regions. It will become less important for us to simply be concerned with the quality of the resolutions, and FA will play a bigger part in GA resolutions. Let me give you an example. A UCR wants help with resolution so we give them tips and author assistance. They end up with a draft that reads well, but struggles to win enthusiastic support, maybe the policy is something other players disagree with or they’re not sold on the approach. We feel that the resolution is up to a good standard and could go either way on it. For reaching out to us, for starting a partnership, for possibly building more on it, we agree to support the resolution, and put our full weight behind it. We offer the same to any region that wants to make an impact in the WA and work with us. As part of improving relations we may agree to support the work of one of their authors even if in a vacuum we would be inclined to recommend against it. I’m much more willing to make deals given I don’t feel the WA is particularly healthy or strong right now, and it’s abandoned a lot of the qualities that would naturally lend themselves to encouraging hard work, well-written resolutions, and an arbitrary barometer of quality. It’s more transactional, it’s more about quantity over quality. In that environment we can afford to be more mercenary and it can enhance our game footprint.

The problem in defense is that we’ve tried just about every angle we can think of and it hasn’t worked. You’re asking me to give you the answer we’re all searching for - that’s the whole point! We’re trying to find it, if I knew what it was I’d shout it from the rooftops and we would be doing it now. I outlined a process I think would let things snowball so the NPA gets stronger and healthier. We have to change our operations so that our troops have more to do, which will keep them invested in the NPA and lending their talents here. That means quick, easily winnable operations, that means training ops just like the old days. We need to have a regular low stakes types of operations they can drill and build up confidence and success. It doesn’t just have to mean tag raiding, we can do detags and (though this is always a sticking point due to the training involved) chasing. I have said this before but it’s not as fun and we need to attract interest, so that’s more theoretical, but we have had fairly competitive detags in years past so I want to stress we have options here (and this is why I want people more experienced in both types to take point on these). But these constant low stakes ops will in turn make the NPA more attractive not only for newcomers, but for older players who are still in it but don’t participate right now. New leadership is crucial because these are people who can find opportunities for these ops and motivate the soldiers, give them a reason to feel like they’re on the same team and stick around in an NPA space. We will have to bring out an old face who knows the NPA but hasn’t been around lately, or an outsider who can bring a different energy to get the ball rolling. I feel like I am repeating myself a bit, but hopefully that version of my explanation was clearer for you. I think this makes sense and is a good blueprint for success, I’m not sure what else you’re looking for though. You said you wanted the start of a plan, that’s what I’m offering here. How is this off the mark?

Obviously anyone can do what they want right now in this region. There are private media areas and spontaneous gatherings. That’s the kind of energy I want Culture to harness, but in a controlled setting. That’s why the ministry is there. Perhaps a better way to explain this is, in the past people would spitball ideas and if it interested the minister or fit into whatever box the minister had in mind for the term, it was included; otherwise it was discarded. I want Culture to greenlight everything, save for obviously unworkable or inappropriate ideas. I want those interested parties to then launch whatever it is they’re trying to do, and see how it does. They will have advice and support from people more experienced in communication and promotion and organization. They won’t just be fending for themselves, but they’ll have an opportunity to take the lead on something with help. We’re not just trying to come up with something to do this term, we’re testing the waters to find the things that most interest and motivate our players, so that many months or even years down the road, our community’s identity will naturally take shape, and people will know what TNP is the region of.

In my opinion, if it takes us three months to publish a paper that’s supposed to at least be moderately topical or relevant to a specific moment in time, and we can’t get anyone interested in putting it together, it’s not effort worth spending. And it’s not a product worth highlighting, and it’s not an entire ministry worth existing. If the paper fizzles out in Culture, there’s many other things happening too. Comms can and should be about something more than one paper released maybe twice a term, but it hasn’t been. I’m not interested in an entire ministry dedicated to one project that isn’t bringing anything to the table. If we had a stable of authors and journalists and editors cranking out quality work on a regular basis I’d say sure, there’s a ministry. But that’s not what’s happening. I want our publications, and the people who have contributed to them and edited them are still in Culture. I think they will have the same problem whether it’s in a space with a neon sign and expectations for them to perform something to justify their existence, or whether it’s part of the Culture space. Moving this stuff to Culture didn’t magically kneecap the publications, they always depend on authors and editors, people who are about the project and want to see it come to life. That’s the same set of ingredients all cultural projects need to succeed. I disagree that the past consolidation killed the publications. The consolidation occurred because of historically weak participation and staff interest in the publications. That’s what killed them, and culture failed to foster the environment where creativity was able to be explored and perhaps a new form of the publications could be realized. We learned from that experience too, and can handle this consolidated Culture department differently so that the publications have more of a chance of recovering.

I’m really not seeing where this platform lacks substance. You seem to want to see specific concrete things to point to and check off a list, like so many campaigns before have provided. How often were those items achieved? How many were even realistic given the reality of the staff at the time or the limitations in carrying it out? We have a problem and we have to identify why that problem exists, and then identify ways to mitigate or solve that problem. That’s what I am offering. You seem to recognize that’s what matters, so from where I’m standing we seem to be on the same page.

Prefacing note that I've already voted, as I was impressed by your platform and your approach to scaling back ministries/expectations in specific areas while focusing on what you believe is important.

You explain your thought process behind recruiting for the NPA, but what are your thoughts generally on encouraging/recruiting newer players like myself to become more involved with TNP, and in that same vein, retaining players the TNP wants around and avoiding burnout? From my viewpoint, I see these forums as largely dominated by inactivity, frequent turnover of positions, or involvement that has a discouraging barrier to entry. There's also a lot of negativity that seems tolerated (see Tim Kasto comment above). I think you addressed that comment appropriately, but any thoughts on the proliferation of that behavior generally?

Prefacing note that I've already voted, as I was impressed by your platform and your approach to scaling back ministries/expectations in specific areas while focusing on what you believe is important.

You explain your thought process behind recruiting for the NPA, but what are your thoughts generally on encouraging/recruiting newer players like myself to become more involved with TNP, and in that same vein, retaining players the TNP wants around and avoiding burnout? From my viewpoint, I see these forums as largely dominated by inactivity, frequent turnover of positions, or involvement that has a discouraging barrier to entry. There's also a lot of negativity that seems tolerated (see Tim Kasto comment above). I think you addressed that comment appropriately, but any thoughts on the proliferation of that behavior generally?

The biggest concern I hear from newer players is they feel overwhelmed by the scope of what is available, they are intimidated by the region's culture and long history, and worry they cannot find a place in it, and will be swallowed up in the background. Unfortunately the only way to manage that is to dip your toe in, find some area that interests you, knock on the door and step inside and explore it. It can be hard to find ways to encourage people to do this, and invitations can often feel like empty words or come off as superficial. It's my hope that the new spin on Home Affairs will illustrate the many things players can do, and person-to-person, offer them a helping hand. This will probably start with seemingly non-NS things like the kind of projects I hope Culture will manage, and as they get more used to interacting with their neighbors in TNP, I hope those connections will make players feel more comfortable getting involved in other areas. Burnout in my view happens when we keep asking the same small group of people to carry the weight of everything on their shoulders, and they do not get a break or have any help. When we fail to motivate more players to get involved, and when we struggle to keep the ones we do have involved, engaged, that's when burnout runs rampant. We need a diversity of projects and tasks, because the same people doing the same things over and over again does get tiring, and it's also why you will see a decline in participation from the forum to the Discord.

Regarding the forum, the decline you have observed is a real thing, and it's not exclusive to TNP. It may be disheartening to hear, but TNP still has one of the more active forums in NS. Just because it's worse in other places doesn't mean that's okay. It takes discipline and more than just the scolding of a few old timer players insisting on taking things to the forum. We have to build that habit. The trouble is, as we expand relationships and connections between our players, and get them engaged in activities, I think that will naturally keep them engaged out of the forum. We have to find something enticing and engaging, something important to regional culture, that will lead people to use the forum to make use of it.

The negativity issue is often a natural extension of politics. This is a political game, there's going to be some back and forth. That does not mean it has to get truly mean or nasty, and I think our community has done a lot of work to minimize the worst of it over the years. But passions erupt and people fight, and I think moderation has mostly turned a blind eye to it. That isn't all on them though - our community cannot leave policing norms and good manners to moderation. We need to stand up for each other too, and do our part to cool the passions when they get too heated. This is something I ought to do more often than just when I have a prominent office in the region, it's something we all have a duty to do. A word on Kasto, by the way. He and I are actually friends and his posting like that is a form of teasing that he is doing. He is notorious for that sort of thing and he has pushed it too far in the past. We should remember that just because we speak and engage with our friends a certain way does not mean that other people would react the same if it was directed at them, and they may lack that kind of context. That's why even if it's someone like me, who knows him and what he's doing, we still have to remind our friends of the line and try to keep the public and private behavior in the right spheres. The community has to stand up and enforce limits and norms, these cannot be easily imposed from the outside. It's not a simple response and identifiable button you can push, it's constant vigilance and we all have to do our part. I regret that this election has sometimes caused some of our more experienced players to forget that and to fall into bad habits. We should always be striving to do better there.

Back