-
Deputy Speaker
-
-
-
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Regional Assembly Rules (Amendment) Bill:
1. The following shall be added to "Section 2. Voting" of the Regional Assembly Rules:
6. The Speaker may withdraw a proposal from consideration during a vote at the request of the proposer.

This bill is intended to amend the Regional Assembly Rules to allow a proposer to withdraw a proposal whilst it's at vote if some fatal flaw is discovered at that point rather than going through the rigmarole of a vote and then either resubmitting it or amending it at a later date. I think making it an amendment to the RA Rules, which have the power of a law as they were adopted by a vote of the RA, rather than encouraging the Speaker to amend the Standing Procedures is a better path to go.

Happy to hear suggestions on wording etc.

Last edited:
Full support. I had asked if a proponent had the option to remove a bill from vote while it is being voted on, and there was uncertainty if that was possible. I personally would recommend that the RA approve such measure.

As a wording suggestion, I would suggest explicitly empowering the Speaker to do withdraw bills from the floor, and - more importantly, I think - clarifying whether it's at their discretion or if the Speaker must do this whenever the author petitions.

Would prefer that the wording be more explicit starting the Speaker should always do this when requested

Last edited:
As a wording suggestion, I would suggest explicitly empowering the Speaker to do withdraw bills from the floor, and - more importantly, I think - clarifying whether it's at their discretion or if the Speaker must do this whenever the author petitions.
Perhaps then something like:
6. The Speaker may withdraw a proposal from consideration during a vote at the request of the proposer.
Would prefer that the wording be more explicit starting the Speaker should always do this when requested
I'm not inclined to restrict the Speaker to always doing this and would prefer to allow the Speaker the leeway to use their judgement on such matters.

I support the new version allowing the proposer to request but giving the discretion to the Speaker.

I have updated the draft with the changed wording.

Gonna give this today for any further feedback before moving into formal debate.

I move this for a vote, and request a truncated formal debate period of three days.

I move this for a vote, and request a truncated formal debate period of three days.
Motion recognised and request granted. This will be in formal debate for 3 days, after which a vote will be scheduled.

Formal debate is over. A vote has been scheduled to begin at (time=1723212000).

Back