The North Pacific vs NorthArdenyan

Hello

I don't mean to be a bother, but it has been about a week since recommendations from the defence and the prosecution have been submitted. Will the Court adjourn soon to draft a judgement?

Hello

I don't mean to be a bother, but it has been about a week since recommendations from the defence and the prosecution have been submitted. Will the Court adjourn soon to draft a judgement?
I do apologize, I forgot to do so officially - the Court has been discussing such judgement/sentencing since roughly a day or so after both recommendations were submitted.

I do apologize, I forgot to do so officially - the Court has been discussing such judgement/sentencing since roughly a day or so after both recommendations were submitted.
May the court announce their choices sooner?

May the court announce their choices sooner?
May you be Patient.. maybe you should be in a justice position so you understand what it feels like to go through the whole process and having a little bug interrupting the process.. maybe you should refrain and work on you're patience..

court_seal.png

Sentencing Order of the Court of the North Pacific
Opinion drafted by @Lord Dominator, joined by @Eluvatar & @Wymondham

The Court took into consideration the relevant clauses of the Legal Code:
Section 1.13: Gross Misconduct
27. "Gross Misconduct" is defined as the violation of an individual's legally mandated sworn oath, either willfully or through negligence.
Chapter 2: Penal Code
10. Gross Misconduct will be punished by removal from office and the suspension of voting rights for whatever finite duration the Court sees fit.
The Court took into consideration the sentencing recommendation by the Defense:
Defence's Sentencing Recommendation and Explanation
The defendant's actions in submitting a false filing for judicial review were regrettable. They did attempt to make a mockery of the Court in so doing for their personal entertainment. This is not conduct befitting of a citizen of The North Pacific, which is why the defendant has pled guilty as an act of repentance. However, the defence feels that the Court must take into account the following mitigating circumstances in deciding a sentence:
  • NorthArdenyan has never committed a crime before, and until they committed the offence in question they were a citizen in good standing of TNP;
  • The false filing did not seriously harm the reputation of the Court or Dreadton, as its intent was to entertain the defendant rather than damage the standing of any other person;
  • The defendant is relatively new to the region, and deserves the opportunity to learn the standard of the TNP community;
As such, the defence recommends a two month restriction on voting and standing for office, with the sentence beginning when they first apply for citizenship, or upon the date of the sentence's issuance, whichever is later. This means that the defendant will not be permitted to vote in the first two elections during which they are a citizen after the trial concludes. This is a penalty that is appropriate in showing the defendant that The North Pacific does not take disrespect of its institutions lightly, but is also not overly harsh towards a defendant who is a relative newcomer and deserves a second chance at becoming a citizen in good standing once again.
The Court took into consideration the sentencing recommendation by the Prosecution:
The Prosecution has little more to add that the record does not already established.

The Defendant voluntarily joined the region and accepted that he was subjected to our laws. He knowingly and willingly committed an offense. While his behavior since his indictment leaves much to be desired, he has avoided any further criminal actions. He has shown some willingness to accept the results of his actions. It is my belief that a larger penalty then the one proposed here would not contribute to justice but further feed misbehavior for the defendant. With the plea, I believe we have struck a balance in preserving the rule of law and justice.

The Court Finds As Follows:
As the defendant has pled guilty to the charge of Gross Misconduct, the defined punishment of which is loss of office and loss of voting rights for a finite period. As the defendant holds no office, no removal from office is possible. The prosecution and defense have jointly recommended a suspension of voting rights of two months, in consideration of the severity of the crime and the defendant's prior history in the region. This is slightly shorter than other recent punishments of Gross Misconduct, however the Court is inclined to agree with the joint recommendation in light of the given circumstances.

Therefor; @Sawenia is to have their voting rights suspended in The North Pacific for a period of two months. Assembly Speaker @AraFuttio and the Election Commission will be informed of this verdict and instructed to implement it.

This decision will stand unless overturned by an appeal. The Court hereby closes the case of The North Pacific v. NorthArdenyan.

Thank You For The Court for its ruling and @Comfed for defending me

Back