Resignations

Pallaith

TNPer
-
-
-
-
As the Advisor to the Delegate, my entire purpose is to make suggestions and offer advice, to try to provide guidance and an outlet for my experience in this game for the Delegate’s benefit. Of course it is up to the Delegate to heed that advice and to do with it what he will, and I will be the first to admit, as a former Delegate myself, the advice that is given is not always followed or in line with the Delegate’s plans. At least when advice is considered and rejected, the Delegate gives it some thought and a discussion of sorts occurs. But without engagement or a word from the Delegate, that advice simply evaporates, and when that happens it renders my role entirely pointless.

I am doing no one any favors by shouting into the void, particularly when my role as advisor creates the possibility that I will not be able to serve in my capacity as a Justice, given the occasional situation where I may be conflicted out of my duties. To have that conflict but to be equally useless in my executive role is truly a bad situation to be in, and I must put an end to it.

Additionally, I have become known as somewhat of an unofficial mouthpiece for the government when that isn’t my proper role, but to even do that job I require more communication and awareness of the Delegate’s plans and actions, something that has not been available to me for several weeks. I have experienced poor communication and I have endured poor execution on the part of the executive in the past. But I have never been this frustrated or felt this helpless. I serve the Delegate but first and foremost I serve the region, and I cannot be of service if I cannot actually contribute. I have been willing and able to contribute since I took on this assignment, but it is no longer possible for me to serve in name only. For that reason, I must resign as Advisor to the Delegate.

The struggles I have had attempting to communicate with this Delegate are struggles that most of the cabinet have endured as well. There is a vacuum not just of communication, but of leadership. Many in this region have been well aware of this since the start of this term back in May, as we saw two long and painful resolutions to our diplomatic issues with TSP, followed by inconsistent and frustrating engagement from the Delegate on sensitive internal disputes like the indictment of the other former Advisor. We in the cabinet have toiled and waited patiently, have expressed our concerns and aired our grievances, but it has amounted to nothing. We, along with the region as a whole, are well aware of the fact that the Delegate has been on a trip to Europe for most of the month, and understand his access and ability to perform his job as he typically does have been impacted. We accommodated this as much as we could, until the moment we had to discuss the prospect of declaring him absent. The Delegate heard our concerns and declared a week’s absence, an absence he ended after 4 days declaring he had more time than he thought and would be able to resume his duties. Two weeks later, we have found ourselves back in the status quo that so troubled us that we pursued that absence, and the Delegate’s assurances of his ability to act have amounted to nothing. It speaks volumes that more was accomplished and set in motion during those four days the Delegate was absent than at any other point in his trip.

We have tried to express our concerns again and again. Important projects have been delayed, foreign communication hampered, and communication within the executive, let alone the region as a while, has crawled to nearly a standstill. The leader of this region has expressed contentment with the ministers handling matters alone, and seems incapable of providing us with the support and the direction that we need in order to see through his many plans and goals for the region. I want to make clear that I, along with every member of this cabinet, serve in the roles we do because we believe in those goals and want to see them achieved. Some of us have done amazing work this term and the Delegate’s newest picks for ministers have been fantastic and inspiring to watch. Too often though it feels these successes happen in spite of the Delegate, not because of anything to do with his exercising his duties.

Deciding to walk away now, past the halfway mark, is not an easy decision. At this time we’re facing at least one more week of the same level of detachment and inaction the Delegate has provided while abroad, and it may yet change for the better when that trip concludes. But the Delegate has not been entirely gone this whole time, nor has he been entirely silent. We all know he has heard our concerns, he just has no answer for them or any ability to respond to them. Given this irreconcilable difference we have no choice but to leave this administration. We cannot properly serve in these roles when we lack confidence in the Delegate and do not support the way the executive is functioning. We have tried to do our jobs and make it better from the inside but there’s only so much we can do, and as the closest witnesses to what has happened, we cannot properly speak out and support further corrective action while continuing to serve in his cabinet. Some in the cabinet do not entirely agree, or have decided to continue to serve despite these bumps in the road. Not every ministry has been impacted the same exact way, not every minister has had the same experience communicating with the Delegate. But for those that have had the same experience, this is the only path forward that we see left for us.

It is my sincere hope that the Delegate sees this as a wake up call, should he decide or be permitted to continue to serve out his term, and takes appropriate action to get things back on track. We had such a strong start coming out of one of the hardest times in our history. We’ve been through a lot, and have had to contend with historic challenges that have shaken our understanding of who we are and what has always made us a strong and successful region. This Delegate was able to carry us through those embarrassing, demoralizing days following Hulldom’s resignation, and he laid out a compelling vision for the months ahead when he went unchallenged for Delegate in May. Our diplomatic efforts with TSP were handled well, if a bit slowly, and when they flared up again the Delegate heeded the region’s preference for how to proceed. None of that is lost on us, nor forgotten. It is unfortunate things have turned out the way they have, and that such a promising start should lead to this. I know he’s capable of better, and all of us just want him to live up to those early days. Sitting waiting and wishing won’t get the important work we need to do finished, however.

I am joined in my resignation from the cabinet by the following ministers, who will separately provide their own personal remarks related to their decision:

Chipoli, Minister of World Assembly Affairs
Kaschovia, Minister of Communications
Fregerson, Minister of Foreign Affairs

Back