-
-
-
Pronouns
It
TNP Nation
Simone_Republic
[Very rough draft - I am still considering other aspects]

This is an import of the Ramsay Convention (Convention on Wetlands of International Importance especially as Waterfowl Habitat) which is with UNESCO. China, Russia and the US are all members, but it is slightly different from GAR#413 (Wetland Protection Protocol) as it is more about ecological tourism and development, and not per se about wetlands protection. It is also not overlapping with #465.

I want to add a bit to supplement GAR#413 though.

About wetlands

There are significant updates to modern language (as this was drafted in 1971 and our understanding of the environment obviously having considerably improved since that time). It calls upon contracting parties to recognize the interdependence of humans and the environment (and ecosystems in general) as well as the ecological functions of wetlands, such as wildlife habitat, nutrient cycling, and flood control.

This is an international issue for numerous reasons:

1. Many wetlands cross national boundaries (much of continental Europe for example, as well as Latin America, ASEAN)
2. The preservation of wetlands ultimately benefits all members of planet Earth (ignoring the sci-fi "we live on Mars" scenarios for the moment)
3. Migratory birds rely heavily on wetlands and birds don't recognize national boundaries (I consider birds important for the ecosystem, bird droppings not necessarily, especially on my car since I park outdoors)

[box]The World Assembly,
Recognizing the interdependence between sapient species and their associated ecosystems, and ecological functions of wetlands, such as wildlife habitat, nutrient cycling, and flood control;
Further Recognizing wetlands as vital for survivial of numerous sapient species across the multiverse as productive environments that create biological diversity and provide the water and productivity upon which countless species of plants and animals depend for survival as compete ecosystems;
Hereby defines wetlands as areas of marsh, swamp, peatland or other lands with water, whether seasonal or permanent,
Hereby requires, for member states with wetlands (and where wetlands are relevant to their sapient species), to designate a competent authority under the member state's authority to regulate wetlands, and for the said authority to:

1. designate suitable wetlands significant to the ecology, zoology, botany, or other natural environment factors of the member state, clearly delineated on maps, for inclusion in a "list of protected wetlands", and to make publicly available such information on protected wetlands as it deems appropriate;
  2. regulate and promote:
    • the observation, conservation and prudent management of wetlands;
    • the protection of migratory stocks of birds and waterfowl;
    • the sustainable development of any ecological tourism;
    • such other matters concerning the protected wetlands as it deems appropriate;

[*]consult with other competent authorities of bordering member states in case member states share a land or sea border with an aim towards coordinating on the conservation of wetlands and shared species near shared borders.

[Ecological tourism aspects that I still need to think about]

[/box]

Last edited:
Back