Last days before the Fall

Tardine

Registered
TNP Nation
Tardine
Discord
Exotic Butters#1535
Ayo folks, this thread is set in the last years of the first Tardineanni Empire (627-999AD). After fighting against the other noble families, it was the Jukavich's turn to rule Tardine. The Jukavich's were the smallest noble family on the empire and weren't allowed to rule until now. By the year 984, Emperor Vladim Paher died without leaving a sucessor, leading to a civil war between the noble families until 987, when the young emperor Godjan assumed the throne, as his parents had died in the war, leaving him as sucessor.

Godjan Jukavich (954-999AD) was now the supreme ruler of the Tardineanni lands, despite it being only a shadow of what the Trantorian Empire was before. These days were being very hard to the government, after several barbarian incursions, which drained their power to the point that now the empire was nearing its collapse. Along with all that intern drama, there was now a new enemy to fight against. A bunch of Prydanian Vikings arrived near the capital city (Vezuria) with many weapons and the desire to destroy. Whether or not they would survive this new hardship was up to Godjan. Will he have the strength to face them? Or will he let the empire die due to his mistakes?

OOC: this thread is meant to worldbuild how the first empire of Tardine fell and how the nobility worked back then. It's set up with @Prydania (thanks for letting me use the Prydanian Vikings :D)

Reactions: Nev
Godjan had a terrible nightmare. He couldn't remember it yet, however, he knew it was something bad. The Tardineanni Emperor suddenly woke up as he tried to regain his senses. Every day, he had these nightmares, so often that it was routine by now. However, today was an uncommon day. He noticed from the greyish, tempestuous sky, that something was wrong. It was raining outside, something uncommon this time of the year. It was a sign of bad omen too, as the Strefandor followers believed.

As the rain slowed to a stop, though, Godjan Jukavic knew he needed to fulfill his royal duties for the day. His coronation only was a few weeks ago and he was still busy dealing with angry nobles and ungrateful peasants. So he shook his head, trying to make these strange thoughts disappear and readied himself for the daily duties. "I need to show them I'm ready to rule.", he murmured as he left the room. The guards outside bowed to him as he passed by, not giving them a second glance. After all, the young man trusted his soldiers.

The air was strangely cold, unmoving, as if the Watcher himself was holding his breath. Godjan shuddered at this thought. "Better say it's because of the rain", he mumbled under his breath. One of the young servants saw him mumbling with a lost look and asked:

"Is something the matter, my Lord?". Godjan's eyes twitched as he heard that. "Didn't someone teach you proper manners?", he said as the servant made a startled sound. "I- I am-", the servant tried to speak but was cut mid phrase by the Emperor. "I am the Emperor. You should treat me as such."

"Please, spare me, I have a wife and-", Godjan raised his hand as all the servants stopped what they were doing to watch. "Shut up", he pointed an accusing finger to the servant. "You should've known that it's improper for a servant to talk to the Emperor without proper manners."

"My dear Lord!", the man screamed as he bowed down crying. "I am sorry", the man said as his head touched the ground, the highest form of humiliation.

Godjan smiled and said: "For you recognize your sin, I shall spare your life." the man's face was still on the ground, fearful of the Emperor's wrath. "However!", this time, the servant actually looked up, as if looking at the Emperor's face would lessen his anger. "You shall be imprisoned and never again set foot in my palace."

"Thank you, my Lord.", said the servant as the guards nearby took him to the prison. Only then the Emperor noticed all the servants gathered on the dark corridor and shouted: "What are you all doing here?", he looked at their faces as they recoiled in fear, "Do all of you want to be imprisoned with him?"

With that, all servants hurriedly left the corridor and the Emperor resumed his walk towards the throne room. "Your Highness!", said someone who was running towards Godjan. He was at the throne room's door but stopped dead in his tracks as he recognized the voice of his Advisor, Akhon Pharreus. He would never call out to the Emperor or run in the palace's corridors if it wasn't something very important, let alone shout out. Something very wrong was going on, and the young man got goosebumps all over.

"Whatever it is, just tell me now, Akhon." the Emperor looked at the other man's face with a wary look. "Don't spare me of the pungent details." Akhon nodded sadly. "It's the worst nightmare made true, Your Highness."

"What? What could be so bad you don't want to say out loud? Just tell me already!", Godjan shouted at the man, briefly losing his composure. The Advisor waited for a few moments until the Emperor calmed down and said a single word.

"Sea-rats."

The Emperor simply stared at him blankly. "Invaders, Your Highness.". Godjan's eyes widened in surprise. "Countless ships containing unknown invaders... We are in a tight spot, Your Highness."

Feeling the pressure of the situation, Godjan fell to his knees. Akhon quickly rushed to his side and helped him up as he tried to recompose himself. It truly was the worst nightmare made true, and only the Watcher could save them now.​

Back