United States of Dictators
Discord
cayyus
sc.jpg

Commend Andusre
Category: Commendation | Target: Andusre
Proposed by: Maowi, Co-authored by: Thousand Branches | Onsite Topic

The Security Council,

Convinced that Andusre has determinedly been a force for positive change in NationStates via the extensive work they have put into creating, developing, and fostering the lively community and interregional presence of Thaecia;

Praising Andusre’s co-founding of Thaecia in January 2019, where they established a thriving population with a unique regional identity characterised by its sophisticated executive government, bicameral legislature, and highly social atmosphere;

Celebrating Andusre’s authorship of Thaecia’s first ever Legislative Resolution, devising the body known as the Electoral Commission (EC) to run regional elections; despite the resolution’s later repeal, the EC still plays an integral role in Thaecian politics and brings a great sense of excitement to every election;

Applauding Andusre’s two terms as the region’s first Prime Minister, during which they paved the way for all future administrations by:
  • creating and solidifying the framework of ministries that underpins Thaecia’s executive to this day;
  • organising regular cultural activities, such as contests and game nights, that strengthened the charisma and outreach of the community, even attracting several foreign nations to the region in the process;
  • cultivating activity on Thaecia’s Regional Message Board (RMB), which ensured that new nations received a warm welcome and sustained the region's model of official legislative and judicial business taking place on satellite regions’ RMBs;

Recognising that Andusre has become synonymous with Thaecia’s foreign affairs, their personal and effective style of diplomacy forging strong bonds between Thaecia and a wide range of regions and communities, exemplified by:
  • their negotiation of embassies with 10000 Islands (XKI) and The Rejected Realms (TRR) as Foreign Affairs Minister, both of which remain very close to Thaecia;
  • their organisation of a musical watch party event involving Thaecia, XKI, and TRR in 2021 that drew high attendance from all three regions and is set to be repeated this year, as well as the foreign affairs side of Thaecia’s similarly successful Late Nite Festival II, which brought in dozens of foreign participants from several other regions;
  • their key role in drafting or negotiating all of Thaecia’s current treaties, i.e. those with The East Pacific (TEP), Europeia, The League, and Balder, through their many terms as a Senior Diplomat, spreading harmony throughout the multiverse;

Acclaiming Andusre’s influence in the construction of Thaecia’s military, elevating it to become one of NationStates’ largest forces through the development and articulation of Thaecia’s military ideology, and bringing awareness to the prosperity that an unaligned military can bring to a region both by fostering internal activity and as a crucial means of strengthening ties with influential regions all over the military spectrum;

Further appreciating Andusre’s contributions to the vigour of NationStates’ military scene through their frequent spearheading of joint operations with Thaecia’s allies, such as the highly-attended occupation of England, antifascist activities, and joint tag and detag runs;

Revelling in the considerable growth Andusre has fostered in regional World Assembly participation, supporting new Thaecian authors and promoting WA relevancy; their work in the World Assembly culminated in their role as president, where:

• they dedicated themselves to reforming the region’s WA program, causing its activity to skyrocket and heavily increasing WA literacy and awareness among Thaecians;
  • they acted as a key advisor to the Prime Minister on executive policy and served as Commander in Chief of Thaecia’s military, making important calls on military operations;

Appreciative of Andusre’s efforts as an author of four Security Council resolutions including SC 349: Commend Marrabuk, in which they highlighted the legacy of a key figure in TEP’s internal and foreign affairs;

Wishing to enshrine a record of Andusre’s impact on NationStates in the history books as a shining example for future trailblazers to draw inspiration from;

Hereby Commends Andusre.
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

ForAgainstAbstainPresent

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps this is just me, but I do still have quite a bit of issues with the draft. Now, granted, these aren't issues Maowi can necessarily amend.

Parts of this are the whole truth and nothing but it (the last authorship clause, the FA clause, and, upon a reread, the mil clauses).

Parts of it are absurdly non-commendable even if (at least in part) true (the "Celebrating" clause, the "Revelling" clause).

Parts of it are banally mediocre (the "Applauding" clause).

I'm not sure Andy's quite gotten there just yet, and to be clear, I think he will. I think, given time, his work will truly shine to the degree that other regional founders that have those badges as themselves.

If I was voting just on the context, I'd probably be Against this.

However, I'm not. I'm voting on some of this because I genuinely like Andy. Our OOC disagreements aside, he's a fine person to work with IC and is actually awesome OOC if you're just hanging shooting the breeze. IC though, I think he is a force to be reckoned with and one whose soft power goes a lot beyond the limits of the words and accomplishments stated here. Therefore, knowing that and believing he is deserving, but knowing it doesn't do him justice, I'll split the difference.

Abstain.

Abstain. I don’t know the nominee myself. I appreciate that region building is a difficult thing and that they have put a lot of effort into that but I think I agree with Hulldom that a fair bit of what is said in this proposal does not feel all that exceptional. I think that the author has also missed a trick in not discussing the nominee’s SC work further. I wouldn’t take issue with the proposal passing but I think I agree with the sentiment that there could be a better proposal to recognise the nominee later down the line.

This proposal has received the requisite approvals to enter the formal queue. Barring it being withdrawn or marked illegal, it will proceed to a vote at Minor Update on Tuesday, May 10.

Last edited:
I think Hulldom has pretty much summarised my thoughts on this, but I'm going to vote Against. If the proposal is flawed (either because of the content or the nominee), then against is the way to go. Abstentions are for well-written and well-intentioned proposals that are made difficult by the context.

Last edited:
Hey there TNP o/ I just wanted to come in and try to explain my intention with some of the clauses that seem to be received poorly. I hope that's ok! I think context on some of these may be helpful, as there's a limit to how much I could ramble on in the proposal itself (both in characters and in readability ...).

The "celebrating" clause is not supposed to present Andy as some kind of legislative genius - I don't think his main legacy on NS has been down the "legal eagle" route. I just thought the fact that he devised the idea of an Electoral Commission was really important and a great example of his talent at creating a remarkably strong sense of self for Thaecia. I initially spent a lot of time around Thaecia's community as an ambassador to them, and then a short time as a citizen, and by far my clearest memories from those periods are about the theatre and excitement generated by the EC around election time.

About the "revelling" clause - I don't really see what's so absurd about including outstanding work in a region's WA program in a commendation. I'm pretty sure the topic features prominently in my own commendation, authored by your very own Hull :> The impression I got from talking to some Thaecians was that Andy turned what had been a somewhat dysfunctional and inconsistent WA program into something that was at the forefront of the region's attention.

I also do believe the contents of the "applauding" clause are relevant. Thaecia's cultural events have long been highly attended, engaging, and an important magnet for forming new friendships. The quality of their RMB is so important too. As far as I am aware, it is unique among regions of their size with an active offsite community to maintain such a high level of substantial discussion on the RMB, with many players who are active on their Discord also being regular posters on the RMB. Andy laid the foundations for this, with an emphasis on accessibility whether or not a player is happy to join a regional Discord server.

Sorry for the long post, as you may have gathered I'm really not good at being concise!!

This proposal has been withdrawn by its author. Accordingly, thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back