Pallaith 4 Delegate

Pallaith

TNPer
-
-
-
-
Here we are again. Once again, I am asking for your vote for Delegate of The North Pacific. In my defense, it’s been over three years! Nevertheless, I will tackle the elephant in the room head on: I have done this job three times before, and since my third term as delegate was completed, we went on to elect the legendary McMasterdonia an additional three times. Between the two of us, we served 40% of the delegate terms since the start of 2019. Before that, we did not have a former delegate return to office since summer 2015. I appreciate TNP’s proud history of providing opportunity to burgeoning new talent. As I have said on numerous occasions, I could not have been delegate in the first place without it. So, I know that seeking this office is no small matter. Just as I did over three years ago, I am putting myself forward because I believe that the state of the game, and the region, demands experienced leadership. Not only that, we are coming off a very solid 8 month period where our outgoing delegate has served as a leader not just to our community, but to the game at large. I was part of that government, and I want to keep that good work going.

TNP is being tested in ways it hasn’t been in a long time. Our commitment to our friends and allies, our independence, our democratic values, and our sincerity in defending and fighting for them, are all being challenged. For years our allies have known that when the chips are down, we will have their back. The world has always known how seriously we abide by our principles, and how strongly we advocate for them. Today we are asked to answer these challenges, and we must rise to meet them, and remind the world that our commitments matter, that we firmly believe in our ideals, and that when our allies need us, we will be there. We will respond in kind and ensure that there are consequences when anyone seeks to mess with our friends and our interests. Our army is refocusing its efforts both at home and abroad, strengthening its numbers while reorganizing itself in some very fundamental ways. The number of nations in the game has once again increased, but we cannot take that for granted and must be a beacon for them. Among their number we will find members of the new generation of talent that will continue to make TNP thrive and provide innovation and creativity that will make NationStates a better game. The balance of power in the world of R/D is shifting every day, and we can no longer sit contently in the middle of its respective sides. We are forced to confront actors who do not respect us pursuing our own interests and relationships if they respect us at all. We have new opportunities to befriend and expand on positive relationships with those we have previously disagreed, and in engaging with them, we have an opportunity to impart our own vision in the rapidly changing gamestate. The game does not stop just because we must elect a new delegate. These things will continue to matter and demand we adapt or be swept aside. I am confident my experience, my relationships, and my awareness of these events will make a difference in how our region navigates these exciting and potentially perilous times.

Looking outward is important, especially now, but a delegate must also be able to respond to the situation at home. You’ve seen me run for numerous offices over the years and serve in many capacities. I am happy to discuss any of those roles if requested, but I will focus on my time as delegate first and foremost, for obvious reasons. I wrote the book on optimistic diplomacy. I have always strived to bring TNP closer with the rest of the game world, if not through formal diplomatic relationships then with greater participation and involvement with the events of the day. And in my past terms as delegate, we saw a thawing of relationships with old enemies like the NPO, and uneasy neighbors like TWP and Osiris. My effort in putting together Uppercut and going on to get a NAP with Osiris was the culmination of that philosophy in that first time as delegate. Establishing the WA Symposium (which went on to be run two more times) in my third term was the most inclusive and substantive interregional project we had done in years. I’ve also worked to improve connections between the offsite and onsite communities. I established the Gameside Advocates, which every delegate after me has continued and expanded upon. I advanced legislation that modernized the regional officers and our ability to enforce admin bans gameside. We put together the handbook, encouraged more WA participation in votes and for endorsements, and started the card giveaway and lottery programs which persist to this day.

I am proud of what we accomplished during my last times as delegate and would love the opportunity to accomplish more great things with the awesome talent we have in this region today. Now is the time to build on the momentum we have gained under MadJack’s tenure. Naturally, I have some ideas for how we can do that.

As I said, these are challenging times. The days ahead will demand the strongest presence we have shown in the game in a long time. We must be prepared to speak out and speak often, and with actions to back up our words. We will rely even more on cooperation with our allies, but also forge stronger relationships with our neighbors. There is an opportunity to build on the shift in our outlook on R/D with defender regions that did not exist prior to MadJack’s delegacy. I wholeheartedly support the approach MadJack has taken and would like to see us build on it by strengthening our ties with defender regions. Many of our allies are established members of this sphere or work closely with them, so engaging with them would be no different from focusing on strengthening our relationships with existing allies. But doing so in this area would give us new areas of common ground we could not capitalize on before and could lead to fruitful partnerships with regions they work well with, such as fellow democracy Thaecia.

We are at odds with the primary raider regions these days, no point in pretending otherwise. In the past we had fruitful cooperation with the likes of TBH and LWU, and I believe that can be true someday in the future. I will never close the door to diplomacy if both parties can come together in good faith and find common ground. That being said, the raider sphere is largely united and defiant in their recent activities and operations, and it is difficult to see how working with them will be possible in the foreseeable future. I really do not see this as being a result of us undergoing a change so much as us aligning ourselves outwardly with what has been happening within, just as the On Alignment statement asserted at the start of MadJack’s second term. But I will not promise to reverse course or try to reset relations, especially after what has transpired in the last few months. Some of our closest allies who share our ideology have been doing much the same. We must adapt when the state of the game changes.

I am well-known for my interest and knowledge in this area, and perhaps more importantly, my ability to cast votes in the WA more or less immediately as they go to vote. You can rely on this again. Having just become a WA author myself, I have hands-on experience and rapport with authors that can help us keep alive our ongoing goal to foster more WA author talent in our own region and also in the regions that make up WALL. We will also utilize this area as another front in our diplomatic and defensive operations, whether as a sanction or as a means to enhance our relationships with other regions. I have always believed that our tools can aid the passage and enhancement of resolutions written by players in a wide variety of regions and can serve as an incentive for better formal and informal relationships with their respective regions. I have also watched the ministry’s gameside vote pilot project with interest. I hope to expand it and eventually develop it into another piece in our WA voting policy, so that more voices can be heard and greater engagement with our residents on WA voting and membership more generally will result.

WALL has seen major inroads in the past few months, and it is commonplace for us to work together on IFVs and respond to every vote that comes up for queue. This is more communication and engagement than I have seen in a long time, and I expect that trend to continue. I will continue to keep an eye out for potential new partners who can join our group, though I must caution that this is unlikely to happen any time soon. Expanding blocs in general just isn’t as easy as it looks, especially for WALL given our adherence to the independence of each signatory’s WA vote. But we do not need to admit new partners to WALL – there is room for informal coordination and if it goes well, it can serve as a base where eventual admission to WALL can be the end result. The first time I was delegate I tried to get second tier of WALL membership to lead into eventual full membership, but it was impossible to manage because until some common ground and history exists, there is not enough to unite the signatory regions behind a new member. We have to start small, and local, using our workshops, guides, and promotion tools for authors and regions, so that our respective regions develop trust, a common understanding, and enough rapport that we can seriously consider them a partner in WALL. Even if they never join, this experience will enhance our diplomacy and be another area where we produce results and benefit in the game that people outside our region can enjoy too.

The NPA is growing again and must continue to do so. Reforms have borne fruit and I will continue them all. When we announced our shift in alignment, I anticipated a boost in our numbers from both returning players and new players who would consider the NPA to be a good home for them when it wasn’t before. That did not play out quite how I imagined, so I will see what I can do to make it a reality. Recruitment is always talked about in these elections, but I believe we finally have a team in place with vision and ideas to make it happen, and I want to set them up to succeed. I will let the experts decide which ops are viable and what our capabilities are, but I want to see some full-throated defensive ops in the future, ones that NPA can lead or do alone rather than tag along. We were always able to do that with raiding, and if we can do it with defending then hopefully we can showcase to the world what we’re capable of and win over new soldiers in the process.

It is important to remember, however, that TNP is not a defender region. Raiding will still happen, as outlined in our recent alignment statement. We will be judicious with its use and only deploy it when it serves our interests, not for casual purposeless operations. But against fascists, against those who make themselves our enemies through war, as a tool to disrupt their WA policy goals through the use of quorum raiding, or to sanction some act taken against us through a simple delegate tip or tag raid, we will absolutely utilize raids. Should our allies engage in a raid for similar reasons, they can count on our support if it is requested. Raiding is a tool that we will deploy as deemed necessary and appropriate. As I said earlier, this does not preclude us from possibly working with raider regions in the future. With those who engage largely in the most destructive forms of raiding, there will likely never be a bond, but with those who are more restrained, and who respect the boundaries we expect from any potential partner, there is room for cooperation down the road. I will not allow any of our fine soldiers to participate in destructive or purposeless raiding, and I will continue to insist on the one army policy that we have held firmly all these years.

I will also note that I expect a swift transition should I win, so the NPA can rest assured that they will be able to get right back to doing what they do best before long, rather than park here and keep their endorsements on me while they wait for the transition to be completed.

I have always believed that Home Affairs is one of the most important engines that keeps our community going. Engines need maintenance. We have to retool and revisit old methods and patterns to make sure we continue to produce the best results. Home Affairs lets promising newcomers show us what they can do, whether it be their organization of tasks or the speed in which they complete them. I feel the time has come to bring Home Affairs back to the basics, to rely on experience to remind the staff what tricks have worked best before, and ore importantly, how to coordinate with the other ministries. Since this is a ministry that promotes everything we do in this region, and tries to replenish our numbers, and since replenishing our numbers is directly relevant to what I aim to do his term, it’s crucial that Home Affairs is aware of every project, every initiative, and has the space to get the word out and highlight those things. I’m not saying anything new, delegates before have envisioned just the same. But it's easy for Home Affairs to run on autopilot, to generate lists and send out TGs, in the absence of anything pressing or when the other ministries are too busy to plan together. In general, I hope to foster grater communication between members of the cabinet, and really lean on them to be equal parts of the decisions we make. I hope that this will make it easier for Home Affairs to add its value to whatever project the other ministers work on.

I will remark on the Gameside Advocates here. Obviously, I will continue to utilize them. They have changed a great deal from how they were utilized when I started them, but under MadJack we saw a return to form, GA’s that were essential in spreading the word and informing the gameside community of what was happening on the forum or in our various events and activities. They did the promotion, and sometimes even the recruiting. With HA TGs added to that, it could be a potent weapon. But I fear the two sides have become quite disconnected. Gameside Advocates have a lot of independence, which was by design, but it’s gotten to the point where they’re in a completely different orbit. We need to see unity and coordination between the GA’s and the HA leadership. I do not want to miss a single opportunity to keep the RMB informed of what we’re up to, I want them to hear important news from us, and I want the GA’s doing in person the same kind of invitations and recruitment that HA does from afar with TGs. If it’s feasible for GA’s to mentor people on the RMB, we will do that too.

This is an area that has always gone well for me in the past, but it is where I am possibly taking the boldest action I ever have when it comes to organizing my government. Now more than ever we need to build our bench of talent and find ways for members of our community to get involved, to provide valuable content to the wider world. The trouble is, over the past few years, as we have experimented and built out these ministries to showcase our creativity and provide output for the game to enjoy, we have stretched ourselves too thin. Too often our staffs in these ministries have relied on one or two (if we’re lucky) people to try to carry the weight of the ministry on their backs. It is unfair to ask that much of someone, and to try to keep plates spinning for the sake of keeping busy. TNP is renowned and sometimes ridiculed for its bureaucracy. I hate to see that bureaucracy be empty and hollow when the reason it exists is to facilitate a complex, bustling engine of activity and product. We must curb that excess from time to time, and this strikes me as one of the times this is necessary. I love the work our Radio and Comms ministries have done over the years. Comms was an early success when I was first delegate, and I believed in what it could do even when it was frequently cited as being worthy of the chopping block. But we do not have the manpower or the spark to keep these things going as they are now.

I acknowledge this may be one of the biggest swings I take if elected, but I would continue what MadJack started when he consolidated comms and radio into Media. I would move the various projects that make up the Ministry of Media and place them squarely in Culture. There is a lot to be said for specialization, and when you have the interest and the numbers doing the work, these specialized areas absolutely need their own space and significant role in government. But neither our radio nor our publication projects have had much to show as of late. That looks bad, but I believe it looks worse when these are singular ministries given a whole term to produce. There is significantly less pressure for these projects, and less of an issue with their delay, if they are part of the larger Culture ministry. Culture is an important part of a region’s identity, and perhaps one reason TNP isn’t often lauded for its culture is because we are too stratified. Another is that too often the people involved in our Culture ministry don’t always seem to know what to tackle, and while we have utilized frequent weekly events and planned festivals as in past years, their creative aspirations and abilities often go unrealized because the team they are on does not always need to make use of them.

Imagine a Culture ministry that includes our radio and print publications, with access to the full Culture staff, on Culture time, to contribute their splashes of color or design to the final product being crated by the technical and writing wizards who write the articles or record and host the radio shows. We have staff members who, if they were all working together, could generate more content and make it better. There is a stigma about being part of too many ministries, and sometimes the hyperfocus on one aspect alienates people. A united, beefy Culture ministry could allow staff to participate in small doses in more projects, could align better with schedules, such as when one ministry wanted to highlight something in the middle of a cultural event. Communication is easier when there are fewer places for the message to be lost. And this more muscular, substantial Culture ministry is one that could go toe to toe with other regions and show how crucial these areas are to who we are and how TNP expresses itself. That is the Culture ministry I want to put forward.

The coming term also affords us a chance to celebrate and remember, on Manumission Day and on Democracy Day. We started the Democracy Day distribution of free constitutions in my first term, and we will do it again. I also hope to leverage our games server again and organize local events through Culture, with the assistance of the Gameside Advocates. This was part of the original effort the GA’s did in my first term, and largely fell by the wayside while they focused more on enforcing rules in the RMB. That is important, as is their messaging in general, but we need to use their connections to the gameside community to drive more engagement in fun and games that brings both communities together.

I am pleased that this ministry is still able to stand on its own. I hope that the talent we have there can continue to sustain itself in the upcoming term. It’s certainly not on death watch, but it’s easy to see how cards can shrink and warrant the same fate as Comms and Radio. I see the next term as the latest in the series of tests the cards ministry has undergone, and I am confident that we can pass that test by strengthening the activities and programs that exist now. Should the staff shrink further and these programs slow down in a significant way, we can look at a similar move to Comms and Radio. I do not believe that is called for quite yet. And even if that were to happen, not much would change since the Cards Guild would continue to exist and have an independence much like that of the gameside advocates.

TNP was a pioneer in utilizing cards for rewards and incentives to boost regional activity and continues to possess a great deal of knowledge about that aspect of NationStates thanks to our dedicated cards experts. We are still quite resource-rich in this area, and must continue to wisely deploy those resources, but there is still room for innovation. I believe we can increase the use of our cards pool for prizes in regional events, and as a way to foster trade and goodwill with other regions. I hope to evaluate the state of our cards inventory and explore ways we can shake up the usual lotteries and giveaway program so that we can offer value to other regions the same way we utilize our WA vote and author support. Just as we can boost relationships in the WA or with defender regions, I hope TNP can be a friendly face and a crucial member of the cards community, as we were in the early days of the cards subculture. The cards symposium is great, but there is still untapped potential for cultural collaboration and smaller impromptu get togethers with the other cards players.

Finally, I wanted to say a note about legislative action. Delegates in TNP have a spotty track record of putting RA votes on their list of priorities. I am one of the delegates who has advanced legislation, but it was typically a very specific thing in response to a sudden development, or a change that directly helped me execute my duties to the region. MadJack ran twice with major legislative goals on is agenda, and he saw them through. I was the public face of them in the RA and worked on the drafts as the debates went on and pushed them through to vote, but it was a team effort and those bills, the FoIA and Citizenship reform bills, were broad changes that the government as a whole wanted to see passed. I believe that as powerful as the Delegate is, the RA can move mountains. It’s something we often do not appreciate enough, but I see no reason why the Delegate should not have the imagination or the passion to find real policy issues that can be addressed by the RA and make the region work better for everyone.

I am coming into this election as the most recent Chief Justice on TNP’s Court and I know well that we have a lot of work to do in our legal system to fine tune and improve it. As the person who brought the AGORA Act to the finish line, the (in)famous bill that abolished the office of the Attorney General, I am not blind to the growing pains we have had navigating our prosecutor system and the perceived challenges to filing r4rs with the Court. When the AG was abolished, we lost the universal standing that came from the office and allowed general question to be brought to the Court when there was otherwise no one to file an r4r who was also directly impacted by the question. I believe that we can find a solution to the most chronic problems that come from our lack of an AG, with very little actually changed. A bar exam or static pool of prosecutors has been bounced around a few times. Others have proposed reinstituting universal standing in some way. The first major legislative push I would like to make as Delegate is a bill that will tackle both things. We will professionalize and stabilize our prosecutors, while establishing a form of universal standing. It is only fitting that as one of the people considered to be responsible for breaking a few eggs for this metaphorical omelet, I be the one leading the charge to fix the mess.

I know change is exciting, and that TNP proudly forges ahead and typically does this with fresh blood in subsequent election cycles. NationStates is offering a lot of change and opportunities for new ways to engage with this game right now, and we don’t just need someone with a vision of how to navigate that. We need someone who has navigated choppy waters before steering the ship to make sure we get to our destination. I believe TNP has already changed a lot to meet this moment, and we’re only just starting to realize the new dynamics at play in NS and which players will define the game for the foreseeable future. We must continue to be part of those dynamics. Now is not the time to sneer at the state of gameplay, or to cynically write off its worst actors. We must reckon with it, embrace it, and leave our mark on it. I know I can do that, and I believe that many of you know I can do that too. Just as you trusted me to lead this region back then, in a similar but less pressing moment than the one we find ourselves in now, I ask for your trust again, and for your vote in this election. Thank you in advance for your support, and if you have any questions or comments, let me know and I will gladly respond.

I notice a lack of the Ministry of Media in your explanation of ministries. What are your plans with it, and what is your oppinion of the merge of Communications and Radio?

I notice a lack of the Ministry of Media in your explanation of ministries. What are your plans with it, and what is your oppinion of the merge of Communications and Radio?
I do not plan to have a Ministry of Media. I propose bringing the projects, personnel, and infrastructure of Media fully into Culture. I felt the merge made sense when it happened and this is just the logical extension of that. I think we’re past the point where anyone would argue that Comms still ought to be its own ministry given the lack of people and output it’s had since its final iteration, and this past term showed that it continued to struggle in that environment when it was one half of a ministry. Radio obviously fared better this term, but it operates on the backs of a couple people who have to do everything and don’t have much support around them. I want to change that.

I’m hoping that as one of a variety of options an expanded Culture ministry has, with the possible participation of players who don’t usually work on TNL or radio, contributing their little piece to the final product, we’ll have a better output and people like you won’t have to carry so much on your own. I very much want the work to continue but I think we have to continue it in a more strategic way. We have to use the talent we have where we have it. Until TNL and our radio broadcasts become a more regular occurrence and diversify their content and have more hands on deck to make that a reality, we have to rely on staff where it exists. Culture has staff that’s able to jump into a bunch of things, but they also struggle sometimes to generate new content and continue innovating. We have content that we want to make with almost no one to make it, and the people who can have their own set of talents that have limitations. I want to bring these elements together so that we have artists, editors, writers, presenters, various people who maybe are good at one thing and can fill the niches the other talents can’t pull off, so that we get shows and publications that fire on all cylinders. I can’t magically make people interested in this work or show up out of the blue, but I can try to get our existing staff to pool their resources and see if we get some awesome results out of it.

I’m sure there’s some concern that eliminating the ministries means that these projects will be an afterthought or will barely be touched. I will remind you that Comms was nearly a dead ministry when I first became delegate, and we didn’t even have a radio ministry. Those were two areas I focused a lot of attention on and have always believed are valuable and worth developing. I want to keep them alive. It shouldn’t matter where they are or if they have a seal, if we have people who want to do this stuff, and we help make it possible for them to do it, that’s what counts. And if Culture is overwhelmed with the work and it’s too much to juggle, then I’m confident we can spin off the ministries again.

ngl thats a pretty good vision for culture, aka the only thing i really care about in tnp elections, so ill vote for ya lol

ngl thats a pretty good vision for culture, aka the only thing i really care about in tnp elections, so ill vote for ya lol
Lol, never change Syrixia. xD

Last edited:
With the most experience among your fellow Delegate candidates coming into this election, I'm sure you have been witness to many different renditions of the current FA/WA/GP landscape. Given that we are currently in a very transformative time both in NationStates and TNP with our alignment and outward policy, how do you see our external facing ministries (FA, WA, Def) working together to advance our goals on an interregional scale and why do you think you are the best candidate to lead us right now?

I'll write more at a later time, but I wanted to say I appreciate you leaving more than a cursory two sentences for Home Affairs. A lot of the time folks say, "Oh HA is uh... Fine, probably," without any regard for its potential or the truth of how it is actually operating.

With the most experience among your fellow Delegate candidates coming into this election, I'm sure you have been witness to many different renditions of the current FA/WA/GP landscape. Given that we are currently in a very transformative time both in NationStates and TNP with our alignment and outward policy, how do you see our external facing ministries (FA, WA, Def) working together to advance our goals on an interregional scale and why do you think you are the best candidate to lead us right now?

WA and NPA are extensions of our foreign policy. They march to the tune FA is singing. It’s always been this way. Both areas do enough that they often deal with votes or operations that aren’t directly tied to moves in FA, but even then they are, and should be, consistent with our overall philosophy. We staked a big claim on ideology in this term with On Alignment, and we’re still seeing how it pays off. Anything we do with our military and WA work will inevitably keep that in mind. It’s all in the platform.

I have a strength in FA and WA. I know my experience there is superior to the other candidates, I’ve done both of those jobs twice and in different eras. I’ve been involved in the decisions on deploying the NPA for quorum raiding and the campaigns for aligning WA voting and resolutions with FA priorities. I have connected these particular dots before, my opponents have not. And I should know better than they do how these areas intertwine. I’ve worked a lot to keep synergy among the various ministries, because they should all be complementing each other when working toward achieving the region’s goals during the delegate’s term. I’ve done that three times before.

I'll write more at a later time, but I wanted to say I appreciate you leaving more than a cursory two sentences for Home Affairs. A lot of the time folks say, "Oh HA is uh... Fine, probably," without any regard for its potential or the truth of how it is actually operating.

While I understand why people would respond that way, because HA is always the little engine that could, there are always ways to dig deeper. I remember a time when staff eagerly gobbled up lists and the ministry could get them done in a few days. And then the next list would come. Even in terms of doing the lists, they have been done more frequently and with much stronger participation. That ebbs and flows with the number of staff, of course. Lists have been the default and people have expressed doubts in the past about them, but we’ve always pushed for their use, and I personally believe they achieve results.

But that’s not all HA does. Or at least, it shouldn’t be. Communication is the area that always needs attention, that if done well will make every ministry work better. It’s not enough for HA to be the ministry that gets the word out to the region, it’s also got to communicate with the other ministries. More than any other ministry, HA has to cooperate with the others, because that’s how it knows the lists to send and when, that’s how it knows where to direct new recruits, that’s how it knows what things to highlight and feature in press releases and dispatches.

Our staff is solid but I think they would admit HA hasn’t been pulling off this cooperation in a consistent way, when it has been at all. When you have nothing else, you have the basics. We can and should be doing more, and we will. I’ve seen it done before and I’ll see it done again. HA can be a juggernaut and it doesn’t even have to do anything particularly outside of the box. It’s more like a dial that you just have to make sure you keep turning up because over time it slides back. I’m not saying it’s easy work or no big deal to do what HA does, but when all you need to do is redouble what you’re already doing, without reinventing the wheel, I see no reason not to invest the appropriate effort to do that.

Speaking as the current Minister of Media, I will admit that I'm intrigued by your plan to merge Media into Culture. Media (particularly its Radio component) thrives when there are more people, and I'll admit, this term we definitely needed extra people than we had on hand.

I am grateful to those in the RP community that lended us a hand this term, but we shouldn't require outside help in order to thrive. With Culture having eager hands ready to help out, and Media having a ton of ideas that need people to accomplish, this could end up being a good move, if executed properly.

Firstly, I rather like your Culture/Media merge plan.

Second, looking at this bit:
but I want to see some full-throated defensive ops in the future, ones that NPA can lead or do alone rather than tag along
I’m curious how you think we might go about doing this - considering that defending, as the reactive force, almost always works together through the Libcord + XKI collective. I’m just not really sure how we can “lead” such defending in a comparable manner to us leading a raid.

Firstly, I rather like your Culture/Media merge plan.

Second, looking at this bit:

I’m curious how you think we might go about doing this - considering that defending, as the reactive force, almost always works together through the Libcord + XKI collective. I’m just not really sure how we can “lead” such defending in a comparable manner to us leading a raid.
Thanks.

I don’t believe that we can only do defensive ops if we’re tagging along with Libcord. We haven’t ever been on substantial defensive runs before, so it may be the case that we can’t feasibly do it. But I’d like to try. I want the NPA to be a leader in R/D, and I don’t want them always to pile or be supplemental to other people’s ops. Maybe they can join us on ours. That’s all I’m really getting at when I say that.

As I said earlier, this does not preclude us from possibly working with raider regions in the future. With those who engage largely in the most destructive forms of raiding, there will likely never be a bond, but with those who are more restrained, and who respect the boundaries we expect from any potential partner, there is room for cooperation down the road.
Does this mean you will be open to, at least, re-establish friendly relations with TBH and LWU, should conditions be favourable?

Last edited:
Does this mean you will be open to, at least, re-establish friendly relations with TBH and LWU, should conditions be favourable?
Yes. That depends just as much on them and what they do going forward though. And I’ll say I didn’t appreciate their response to our concerns about the thorn of Stargate. So the chill that’s existed between us as of late is definitely there for a reason, but I wouldn’t say never.

Here's a question I think might be interesting, revealing, and also might just be fun to answer:

Assume for a moment that every TNPer you've worked with is around and active again. What would your dream Cabinet of TNPers you've worked with look like?

I’d ask you how you’d coup the region, but that’s an overused question. Instead, I’ll ask you this: if you were to coup the region, what do you think would be your motivation?

Here's a question I think might be interesting, revealing, and also might just be fun to answer:

Assume for a moment that every TNPer you've worked with is around and active again. What would your dream Cabinet of TNPers you've worked with look like?

Fiji doing Comms or Radio. McM doing FA or Culture. r3n doing WA or Cards. Rom doing Defense. Cretox doing WA. SillyString doing Culture. Scorch doing HA.

Whats your biggest regret in your NS career?

That's a tough one. I have a few. In the past I have cited the decision to stay out of the Lazarus civil war as one of my biggest ones, but I think it's the more personal things I regret most. I wasted so many of my early days in a stupid royalist region that wasn't a good fit, then parked in TVF without doing anything until well after its prime. When I first retired as delegate there, I let Cosmo be the delegate after me. I later launched a comeback delegate campaign in TVF that relied on former CTE players who came back because I asked them to, denying someone who deserved a chance and was more popular with the active players a chance to be delegate (she never did become delegate there). I decided to abstain in the delegate race here in 2017 and play into a largely bogus scandal rather than have Plemby's back after he gave me a chance and put me on the map. I didn't pick Praetor to be my MoFA when I first became delegate in TNP, despite all the help he gave me as I pursued the office and learned the ropes in GP, because my opponent tried to smear me with the claim that I would make that appointment, and rather than defend the choice I chose not to make it at all so he wouldn't be proven right. I listened to Raven's advice over r3n's whenever they were at odds, and chose Raven as my MoFA in my second term. I didn't do enough to fight our increasingly tarnished reputation in the fallout of NSWF, though I still don't know what I could have done differently. I tried to be friends with everyone and ended up handling a tough election between two friends of mine, Bootsie and Siwale, in a much poorer way than I should have. I opted out of running for VD in that election, when I probably should have. I served poorly in my term as MoWA under Siwale because I wanted MoFA and was frustrated I didn't get it. I betrayed Praetor's confidence in public because I felt he was unfair in an argument criticizing someone else and wanted to highlight his hypocrisy, permanently damaging a IC partnership and harming an OOC friendship we just started to repair. I failed to fully advise Tlomz when he was delegate and let him fall into avoidable problems that could have been worked out with better communication, and the government suffered as a result. I have...more than a few regrets about the May 2021 election.

Gosh this feels more like confession, should have had Wondo ask this question.

I’d ask you how you’d coup the region, but that’s an overused question. Instead, I’ll ask you this: if you were to coup the region, what do you think would be your motivation?

You can do better than this.

Hopefully something practical like, an overzealous sense of justice and trying to stop some worse fate that exists, even if in my own mind.

Speaking of, and to those who have never read Ghost's 2018 piece on optimistic diplomacy here it is, do you still hold to this, based off of the previous two terms?

Yes. Maybe even more so because that stuff happened. I've often felt like the sucker when trying to operate on optimism, but I would still rather be open to unexpected positive relationships than the alternative. Being stubborn and closing the door forever is ultimately shortsighted. It is consistent with my feelings on Independence that we should be flexible and willing to change course when it is in our interest. And generally, having better relationships with other regions gives you more options and can be useful in tough times. There are times you have to draw the line, and draw it hard, and shouldn't back down just because you want to be a nice guy. Sometimes you have to insist on real, fundamental change before you can accept warmer relations with another region.

Is there any policies you will be looking into adopting from your competition?

Seems like a lot of focus was on cleaning up outdated stuff and reforming and rebuilding parts of the NPA - that's a major priority for me as well. I'm also maintaining course on a lot of stuff that the other candidates would maintain course on. Obviously I would not adopt the things I disagree with, of which there are a few.

Do you have any view on what TNP's approach should be to the Frontier/Stronghold idea, in the unlikely event of its implementation in the coming term?

Frontiers would be an extension of our current foreign and military policy. We would defend the frontiers of our allies and friends, democracies, and if needed sanction the frontiers of others, including raids, especially of any frontiers run by fascists. I imagine we would have at least one. It's hard to picture the meta but we have a good network of friends and allies and I think we could find a way to navigate it together. With defense ops being prevalent in our plans, we should have many opportunities to help other regions in those chaotic early days. We'll probably have to look out for ourselves too - any region we call our own or ally with will probably be a ripe target. It's certainly something we cannot afford to opt out of, and isn't something I think we should.

I think combining Comms into Culture is a mistake. Culture is already a big responsibility, particularly with the calendar of events that go on, as well as the searching for new ideas, graphics and incentives for activities. Depending on the Delegate, Culture can be neglected, and that can be really bad for the regional wellbeing.

I can’t really see how one Minister responsible for all of it, is going to result on higher output on the Comms side. I think the Cultural side will just suffer, with Comms having a similar level of output.

How are you going to manage this, and provide enough support to the Minister to keep both aspects afloat?

Secondly, do you think you’ll maintain a hands off style with Ministries, or are you envisaging a more hands on approach if you win this time?

I think combining Comms into Culture is a mistake. Culture is already a big responsibility, particularly with the calendar of events that go on, as well as the searching for new ideas, graphics and incentives for activities. Depending on the Delegate, Culture can be neglected, and that can be really bad for the regional wellbeing.

I can’t really see how one Minister responsible for all of it, is going to result on higher output on the Comms side. I think the Cultural side will just suffer, with Comms having a similar level of output.

How are you going to manage this, and provide enough support to the Minister to keep both aspects afloat?

Secondly, do you think you’ll maintain a hands off style with Ministries, or are you envisaging a more hands on approach if you win this time?

I appreciate you may take a different view as it relates to how I’m handling Comms and Radio. The problem we have is we lack personnel, so output in Comms and Radio has been weak. Culture has more staff available to potentially assist in the work Comms and Radio is doing. I don’t think there’s anything stopping staff from one ministry from assisting the staff in another (and obviously some staffers are in both camps), but the separation in my experience tends to isolate the various teams from each other all the same. I have seen in Comms and Radio how some staffers specialize in certain tasks and contribute to those without touching the others. With a larger staff that is already fairly good at specializing tasks they enjoy doing or are better suited for, I hope to replicate that experience with our Comms and Radio releases. My expectation is that our old Comms and Radio people will continue doing the exact things they did before, but may now have more help to potentially call on.

The obvious strategy for the Culture minister is to delegate those projects to particular deputies and let them handle them, while making sure to allocate them the talent they need to get it done. You can rest assured that I will make sure that’s what happens. Those ministries generated specific content that we could bring to our region and to NS more broadly, and they’re every bit as unique to us as a cultural event or activity that Culture puts on. It seems like a natural fit to me. As I said, the specialized ministries can absolutely be a thing provided they are producing and have the size. Right now they don’t. So we have to give them a boost because I would rather do that then have them continue on anemic and hollow, or completely gone. I can write and I can participate in radio shows. Worst case scenario, I can help make these things happen as a direct participant if we still find ourselves short on talent.

I will acknowledge that even with that, we may indeed see the same low output. Ultimately if we don’t have the content to put out, we shouldn’t put it out. I could overestimate how much of a staff Culture itself will have, or I could underestimate how much of a push the Comms and Radio projects may get in their new environment. The Culture minister more than any others is going to need to manage a diverse staff, particularly deputies, in an effective way for this to work. It will be a challenge but I believe it’s worth undertaking. And we’re capable of deciding which projects or events take priority at any given time - we will be evaluating that as things develop so that we get done the things we need to get done. Culture isn’t something I considered to be a natural fit for me, but I’m proud of what we did with it in my previous terms. I don’t intend to miss that benchmark.

As for your other question - I know I am a self-identified delegater, but I intend to be much more hands on this time. We can’t afford to slow down or lose the momentum we have going, and we have a lot of more mundane reorganizing and reimagining to do. I want to see that the little details get done, because obviously the big picture is pretty clear these days and I’ll have plenty to do there. I think it’s fair to say in the past I had the luxury of large executive staffs and very experienced and talented people who could be left to their own devices without too much trouble. And I was happy to let them take point on their areas because that’s how I am but also because I was new on the scene relatively speaking.

I feel I have a lot to offer now without completely talking out of turn, and I need to lead because these aren’t times for us to slow down and take it easy. If I feel that urgency, and I do, then I need to set the pace and demonstrate it through my actions. Being as experienced as I am at this point, I also feel unrestrained in speaking my mind and taking big swings. Caution ruled the day for me before, but there’s no reason for me to be so cautious when the NS world is shifting as much as it is now. We have to be willing to shake things up and take risks because relying on the old status quo isn’t reliable anymore. I don’t think that’s the same as being willing to do anything and care nothing for the consequences of course. But choosing to refrain from speaking our mind on something we care about, or not involving ourselves in something that perhaps could benefit from our input, is not going to allow TNP to stay relevant and advance our interests in NSGP and the game at large.

I’m going to be around and I’m going to try to keep the ministries on the same page while operating on all cylinders. Before we blame everything on slow times or events outside our control, we better try everything we can, and that should absolutely include me personally stepping up and lifting a hand.

Very clever use 4 instead of for

I’m glad you liked that.

If you were to sum up each of the major areas in one or two sentences, how would you sum them up

I’m not doing your homework for you.

You've made some references to ministry staff being stretched thin and a few people having to carry most of the workload, but I'd like to get your opinion on why you think this problem exists. To be precise, do you think there is anything else that is contributing to this except perhaps a slower influx of nations into the region? How would your platform points help ease this problem, and are there any other ideas you are thinking of implementing towards this issue?

On a related point, you said in your introduction:

"The number of nations in the game has once again increased, but we cannot take that for granted and must be a beacon for them. Among their number we will find members of the new generation of talent that will continue to make TNP thrive and provide innovation and creativity that will make NationStates a better game. "

So I want to ask, how would your plans contribute to the cultivation of a new generation of talent, especially in those areas that are more difficult to break into, such as Foreign Affairs and the WA?

You've made some references to ministry staff being stretched thin and a few people having to carry most of the workload, but I'd like to get your opinion on why you think this problem exists. To be precise, do you think there is anything else that is contributing to this except perhaps a slower influx of nations into the region? How would your platform points help ease this problem, and are there any other ideas you are thinking of implementing towards this issue?

On a related point, you said in your introduction:

"The number of nations in the game has once again increased, but we cannot take that for granted and must be a beacon for them. Among their number we will find members of the new generation of talent that will continue to make TNP thrive and provide innovation and creativity that will make NationStates a better game. "

So I want to ask, how would your plans contribute to the cultivation of a new generation of talent, especially in those areas that are more difficult to break into, such as Foreign Affairs and the WA?

I’m not sure what the cause is, but it’s easy to see that we haven’t had too many promising and ambitious people choosing to get more involved in the region. One theory I have for that is that they’re just out of reach, and somehow not being properly connected to. That suggests a deficiency in our efforts for outreach, which may be alleviated by rethinking how we use HA. This may require more conversational approaches. This may require more RMB posting from HA and the government more generally. Certainly it will require more from myself. One thing I used to do in the past was sit in the VC on Discord and try to stir more conversation that way. You can plan and organize all sorts of things but until people are actually doing them and they become reality, they may not draw curiosity or interest from the people we want to participate.

Past ministers have found success getting involved in the communities that align with their portfolio (cards in the cards community, WA in the GA and SC circles), and directly invited players from those areas to join them in their work. Our best string of talent came from this - just waiting for people to sign up on the forum and apply for citizenship isn’t enough. Changing the game draws attention as well - as we post more articles, more radio shows, have more authors in the WA, we become a place that is known for generating content that adds to the greater NS picture. People can see our success and the quality of what we produce and if they’re into that stuff, we can be a destination for them. Struggling to staff ministries which then don’t really produce anything isn’t going to end that cycle.

So some direct one on one recruiting is essential. If not finding people we would like to step up in our own backyard, then perhaps someone doing the kind of things we want more of in TNP in their own respective communities.

As for FA…that’s always a tough but to crack. You can sort of teach diplomacy, but it really is something most people don’t have a knack for or have patience for. This may seem counterintuitive, but I think we may need to be more selective in who we bring on as staff, at least for certain jobs. It’s easy to assign people to be ambassadors to regions but no matter how much we’ve tried to revisit that idea and do it better, it eludes us. I think it’s better to have the deputies handle that and let the staff handle the internal paperwork stuff. If you sign up for FA staff, you should demonstrate curiosity and knowledge of the game and other regions. I want to see the staff learning and seeking out more work of that kind, volunteering to assist deputies and asking questions about history and relationships between regions. The ones who push paper and complete assignments won’t get to be deputies and diplomats. The ones who have a taste for the work will. It does mean our talent bench for FA will continue to be small, but it already is. I think that having to work harder for access will help us identify the promising players and give them something more substantial they can’t take for granted.

I admit that may not pan out either, but we’ve tried almost everything else short of doing away with ambassadors entirely. And it may come to that. We have to be prepared to deconstruct a bit to see what works well and what doesn’t. And I and many ministers may find ourselves having to be a lot more hands on with projects and not letting time pass while things are expected to magically fall into place. You have to give people the ability to have something constructive to do, but you also have to actually have constructive things to do in the first place. Recruiting people is important but you have to give them a reason to show up. We can do that by accomplishing our tasks and creating things that people like and want to see more of, and ideally want to try themselves. I’m not interested in boosting citizenship by 10% in a rush and then having those citizens try to figure out what to do with the ministries they’re being encouraged to join. We have to be the example and give people a reason to follow.

Can you elaborate a bit further on your plans for WA expansion and WADP? I know this is more of a vice delegate 's responsibility, but this is really the only part of NS where I am heavily involved. I am on the side of being quite keen to expand our influence on WA.

Can you elaborate a bit further on your plans for WA expansion and WADP? I know this is more of a vice delegate 's responsibility, but this is really the only part of NS where I am heavily involved. I am on the side of being quite keen to expand our influence on WA.
I’m glad to hear you say that, because I have always been a big believer in TNP’s ability to make sure the voice of our region is heard in the WA. This was the area I first worked in when I joined TNP. I’m an avid follower of the WA and pay close attention to that aspect of the game. Having me as delegate is immediately moving WA into a central focus of what my government would be concerned with.

WADP isn’t strictly my purview, but that doesn’t mean the government can’t have a role in it. It’s really designed to be something the SC and the government collaborate on. To increase participation going forward, we need to engage the vast majority of WA nations who do not cast a vote in the WA. It’s actually potentially more valuable to get them to do that than it would be to get them to join the forum and participate in WA voting threads to direct the delegate’s vote. One way I think we can do that is to explore a way to accommodate the gameside vote in our WA voting thread. This past term we experimented with a gameside poll to gauge how the WA nations in TNP might want to vote. I believe that greater visibility for WA votes on the RMB may attract more participants. I also believe that if they feel their vote will actually matter, they will be more inclined to offer it. This hopefully also boosts WA membership which gives our WADP more people to bring into our endorsing network.

Obviously how we do this will play a large role in how successful it is. Would it be partially counted, fully counted, done in regular points, done in polls? There’s too many WA votes for us to do a poll on every one - we would never have our polls available for anything else. And if we don’t do it consistently, the habit will never form and we won’t get the results we’re looking for. This is a puzzle we have to solve though - more WA engaged players means more endorsements, more votes coming out of our region which hopefully are swayed by our IFVs, and another way for us to realize our democratic ideals and make sure that our people are heard. We’ve done almost exclusively incentive-based improvements to the WADP (more awards, giving away cards), but raising the number of eligible participants cannot rely on soft bribes - it has to also engage those who do care about the WA substantively, but maybe don’t feel that their participation amounts to much. We have to appeal to them in a more fundamental way. Once we have more people paying attention and using their WA status, then we can further evaluate how to maximize their participation in the WADP. Endorsements matter but so do the basics of WA membership. Get that number up, and you can get the other ones up too.

Are you for or against multiple posts in a row on the RMB?

I'm thrilled you asked this question.

Context is everything. I believe the double posting rule is aggressively and obsessively enforced and our gameside advocates often act like robots reporting every instance of it. There are situations where two posts in a row is no big deal or perfectly acceptable, and we should not bother people on the RMB who post in those situations. Spam can be dealt with as spam whether it comes in the form of successive posts or not. A big part of this is a cultural issue though - the gameside community is used to cracking down on double posting and will react more or less automatically when they see it. I think that's a shame and can be easily fixed if we start easing up and recognizing the difference between harmless and innocent double posts and the more concerning kind. Gameside advocates should make greater use of their discretion and save their speech policing for actual troublemakers.

Elections are already underway, I very much like your platform, and you have my support. But there's something I should ask, and this is important.

Pineapple on pizza, yes or no?

Elections are already underway, I very much like your platform, and you have my support. But there's something I should ask, and this is important.

Pineapple on pizza, yes or no?

Ever since I was a kid my go to toppings were pepperoni and pineapple. Never seemed weird or controversial growing up. Then the internet decided it was a whole thing. I will put the caveat out that I’ve never had or imagined having a pizza with pineapple as the only topping. Even I think that’s weird. Some toppings cannot stand alone. Pepperoni can. Pineapple cannot. It has to be in combination, with ham sometimes or pepperoni. Trying to go through my imaginary list of potential toppings, I actually can’t think of another common topping that I wouldn’t imagine being able to go solo on a pizza, so pineapple may be the only one that cannot (in my opinion) be the only topping on a pizza. So I guess in that sense I find common ground with people who say it doesn’t belong on pizza. But to me it’s a legitimate co-topping at least.

If not finding people we would like to step up in our own backyard, then perhaps someone doing the kind of things we want more of in TNP in their own respective communities.
If you ever go ahead with this idea, what would this process look like for this respective person?

If you ever go ahead with this idea, what would this process look like for this respective person?
I know this is irregular but I feel bad I missed your question and wanted to get you an answer. Let’s take the cards community as an example. Me or someone in our guild sees a player active in cards groups or events and invites them to join our guild and our cards ministry. It’s as simple as striking up a conversation and inviting them to participate. Take any subgroup of the game that exists, and if someone is doing something cool there, I think we ought to encourage them to also do that cool thing here. By no means does this turn into an exclusivity thing, they can decide how much or how little they want to participate here. It’s not some formal program or something, it’s strictly interpersonal and informal. The kind of thing players tend to do when they mingle with people in other parts of the game without really thinking about it.

Very insightful. It's good to see old names who already have a solid reputation considering and embracing the future and not dwelling on the past. Your acknowledgement of the potential of new nations is noted and ultimately agreed with. Bolstering your card policy could be an improvement though as it does play a major role serving as a de facto currency. Overall you have my vote!

Back