TNP Nation
Tardine
Discord
Exotic Butters#1535
March of 1519
Royal Palace of Olmongeter, Tardine
Throne Room of Gaheel Portheir Kladerai

A BITTER ENCOUNTER​

"A disaster it is, Your Greatness... All of our fleet was destroyed, in a blink!", the Royal Advisor's words echoed across the room while all eyes turned to him. Eron Danifeeh was new in charge, since the previous advisor died due to a mysterious illness, which even the best doctors couldn't treat. Just like Eron, Emperor Gaheel was new in charge, after his mother suspiciously fell from the palace, being another mysterious and unsolved death. His mother idealized the colonization process and, ten months ago, the ships sailed from Olmongeter to reach the most Eastern lands, know by the people as the "Land of the Rising Sun". However, this royal dream was menaced by whatever happened on the seas.

As the advisor explained further what was going on, the morning sun already had shown up in the sky, and the young emperor got more and more angry at this unpredictable turn on the events. Their thought was that, by now, the first contact with the natives or maybe even the first settlement would be ready. This didn't happen, and now they had to deal with that. In the throne room, everyone was nervous, thinking of the outcome of what happened. Could that be the start of a war? Half of the people present was old enough to remember the Reconquer Wars*, bloody battles against the barbarians that were occupying the Tardineanni lands. While the marble palace was already warm due to the current time of the year, what really was boiling up was the emperor's nerves:

- Let me get this straight... - said Gaheel to Eron, while scratching his hair - You said they just huh... Threw up a fire ball from a small device they had on their also small fleet? And that this destroyed our mighty Armathas*, surviving technology from the great, invencible, Trantorian Empire?
- Er, despite being said by me in another terms. - the advisor bows down to hide his shame - Yes, Your Greatness, that's what happened.
- Didn't they tried to talk with them? - asked him angrily - Maybe tried to do the traditional peace signals*?
- According to the survivors, they didn't spoke on any recognizable language nor on a similar one. - still bowed he completes - Apparently, our peace signals were misunderstood as war treats.
- How dare them! - shouted Gaheel while standing up - This means I will need to solve it, myself.
- I wouldn't advise that, Your Greatness. - Eron stood up as well - It could be very dangerous, even for a Emperor.
- Who the hell is you to give me orders? - the emperor almost punches the advisor on the face - I mean, you are my advisor, aren't you?
- Yes, Emperor! - the scared look on Eron's face made Gaheel calm down and go back to his throne - I am sorry for bothering you.
- No. - he looks at the poor advisor - I shouldn't have acted like this... You're right, after all.
- Am I, Emperor? - Eron gets on his knees as the emperor keeps talking.
- Arrange a meeting between me and whatever they call their leader. - he takes the advisor's hands - And get up, you're being ridiculous.
- Yes, Your Greatness. - he gets up and Gaheel releases him - I won't fail you!
- You better not. - the emperor smiles for the first time on the day - Now get outta here, I need to be alone.
- Right, Emperor. - bowing down, he leaves.

The first encounter between the Tardineannen and the Vivanquian, though they didn't know yet who they found, was full of hatred and death. There was only one question lingering on Gaheel's head: would them be able to colonize someone, or were they too late for that? After all, the unknow people seemed to be decades, maybe even centuries, more advanced than Tardine. Was this unknow technology a product of magic*? Only the attackers could answer this question. And him, as the Emperor, would do everything, no matter the costs, to uncover the truth.

OOC: Hey, this is Tardine with a brand new worldbuilding thread! This time me and @Vivanco will unveil the colonial times of both nations, and how they did politics on the 16th century. Also, the thread's title is referring to the fact that the Aurorian continent is the most eastern one being, therefore, the "Land of the Rising Sun".

- Reconquer Wars is how the battles against the "barbarian invaders" were called by the Tardineanni rulers. Ever since the fall of Trantoria, back on the 5th century, the northern invaders would never be fully driven out of the Tardineanni lands, until the last Reconquer War, where Merion Risto (Gaheel's grandma) died fighting for Tardine.

- Armathas were big war galleons, used by the Trantorians on their naval expeditions. With these, they controlled a vast empire before their fall due to successive barbarian invasions combined with bad rulers. It was one of the few surviving technologies of the old empire.

- The peace signals referred by Gaheel were a dance in which the sailors would act as if they were fighting, then they would hug and stop fighting. Obviously, they wasn't efficient at all and gave a lot of problems to the Tardineanni government.

- Magic was wondered to be common during the peak of the Trantorian empire, and was well-know in the first empire of Tardine. They are all theories, though, as it wasn't proven to be real.

February of 1519
HMS "La Rosa Del Viento"
Captain's quarters

GOING EAST.
The Caravel flowed slowly across the untamed sea, calm with no clouds in the skies, the wind blowing to the east, the future ahead, but nothing could be seen in the horizon.
The captain Luis Fernando de Ponce, lead of this exploration vessel writes in his chambers.

Día segundo del terzer mes de trabesía y todabía no emos tomado bista de las terras de las qe yaman deo Sol Nascente, mas los mapas terminaron en las costas días atrás. Enqomiendome a la dama qe en su gloria rezibame pes las raziones qomienzan a faltar y temo qe un motín este en ziernes.
"Day second of the third month aboard and we have yet to find the lands called of the Rising Sun, for out maps describe no more lands ahead, the last being days ago being left behind. I beg the Lady takes me in her protection, for the rations are starting to dwindle and I fear mutiny's brewing.
The man sigues as he dropped the quill on the desk and took his hands up, pulling his now greasy and long hair back, shining with the sun sneaking through the windows.
Then, a shout.
"TERRA A LA VISTA!"
Luis Fernando's eyes darted up quickly as he stood from his chair, quickly running out of his chambers to find atop of the ship, the crew cheering, as in the horizon, finally they saw what they believed they looked for. New lands.

"MUCHACHOS!" Shouted Luis Fernando. "We have traveled far and wide for this, and the Lady has granted us our wish! Now it's the time! For the Marquis' Glory! For the Mother of Petria, and the Lady!"

June, 1519
On the southern Tardineanni coast
Near the HMS "La Rosa Del Viento"

WHO ARE THE BARBARIAN ONES?​

"They are barbarians. The worst kind of them.", thought Eron Danifeeh, when he saw the Contramestre of the Caravel, descending from the small boat that carried a few soldiers? Eron couldn't get past the idea that they were pirates, trying to pillage the Empire's coast. That wasn't his problem, though. He could not care less if the Empire burns down to the ground, or conquers all planet. The only thing that mattered to him was if he and his family were safe. Eron was ambitious, though, and would do everything to achieve his goals, including killing as well. That's why, when the Contramestre approached, he gave the man his earnest smile as tried to communicate with him:

- Terra. - said the stranger while pointing to the land - La terra?
- Nadt. - Eron replied, appointing to the ground as well - Thas nadt!

After a few rounds of this awkward guessing game, they managed to successfully achieve some sort of mutual understanding. The Vivanquian came to these lands in search of more markets and land to colonize, as the Tardineannen would do shortly after. However, when asked by the "fire makers", the Contramestre was surprised they didn't have that yet. "We can see that your people are a bit 'antiquated', specially when we talk about these strange clothes you use, though we didn't think you would be that primitive. Those things existed for decades now", said the man.

To them, the Tardineanni cortege seemed so strange they were certain that this was the furthermost part of the world. How did they know about concepts such as having a monarch? It didn't seem like they had any contact with the civilized world before, yet they seemed to have the basic knowledge of how the world works. Their language sounded like none they've heard yet sounded like all at once. What was their origin? Those questions lingered on the crew's mind.

To the Tardineanni cortege, however, their language was so primitive it couldn't explain even their own stuff. It sounded strange, as if they were constantly saying "la". Perhaps it was their mantra? They didn't know for sure. Therefore, about this interesting encounter, Eron Danifeeh wrote this small letter which he sent to the Emperor:​

Duhren Emperai Regnam, thoi aber soh dumm, thatis thoi massit beah konquerat en destruvat per uns. Ja'm prestitum thoi haite etoked uns en jesufir rakled soh musk alf uns. Ja'm hert nussei veras forza vell hinei tarnusk.

"Your Imperial Majesty, they are so dumb, that they must be conquered and destroyed by us. I'm surprised they have attacked us and successfully killed so many of us. I'm sure our true strength will shine bright."

Eron knew that, despite being technologically advanced, the Vivanquian lacked the strength and numbers to defend themselves from the dangers of these lands. The efficient Tardineanni army didn't need those "fire makers", as their golden armors would throw their fire back at them. Also, there was one thing else that the Vivanquian lacked as well: malice, and this was what would guarantee the Tardineanni victory.​

Last edited:
June, 1519
On the eastern Tardineanni coast.
Aboard the HMS "La Rosa del Viento"
Night Time.

BLUE, WHITE AND GOLD, A BANNER OF OLD.

Luis Fernando de Ponce was not the young man he used to be. Where once was dark hair, silver rivers came across. The months across the sea changed his adventurous face a radical change in expression. From joy and oportunity, to the bitterness idea of potentially returning home empty handed. His moustache had suffered the consequences as well, reaching now to meet his beard.
The candles light up the room of the cabin, as he sat in front of his desk, resting his head on his hand.

"Has it been all for naught? By the Lady, we have sailed under the lead of your stars, left families and jobs behind in the search of your glory." he spoke for himself in a prayer, as he reached out with his left hand for his necklace. He held it tightly, closing his eyes as he let the memories flood his thoughts. It had been a while since he had last seen the port of Portes, twin city of Petria, where civilization meets the sea. The Port to the East. The bustle of the streets, the laughter of the taverns, and the warmth of a home. Oh, how he missed that. Dry clothes waiting for him, a comfortable bed, silence yet in company. And of course, Liz. Isabella, his wife, who's beauty could only be compared with the sparkle of the moon in the ocean's horizon.

His eyes open, as he softened his grip on the necklace, to see the gaze of The Lady, looking back at him, judgemental, stoic. A knock on the door echoed and the captain's eyes darted to the room. Before speaking, he regained his composture. "Come in." he ordered, and inside entered Alfonzo de Petria, contramaestre (boatswain) of the ship. He was younger than the captain. If the captain was nearing his late fourties, he was in his early ones. A not-so-freshly-shaven beard decorated the man's face, as he saluted, in uniform. He stepped inside and closed the door as he took a sit in front of the captain's desk.

"These people are savages, sir. We've tried to establish proper contact with them, and their language is brutish nonesense." said Alfonzo, crossing his arms as he looked outside of one of the quarter's windows, with the soft sway of the seas moving them ever so slightly in the night. "Yet the fact that there are people here must mean there has to be something."

However, Luis Fernando de Ponce's mind was not at ease, as he only looked as if he was paying attention to what his lesser said. Doubts had taken root deep in his mind time ago. Was there anything they could do? Oh, he wanted, no, needed the Lady's enlightenment. A signal. Alfonzo's words were muffled to him as his eyes looked outside as well. Expecting anything to happen, but finally he regained his senses, as duty claimed him. "If what you say is true, then we should have to be ready. They may be savages, but human, and trickery is the devil's most powerful ally." said the captain. He then stood up, taking his coat and stepping outside to meet his men, followed by Alfonzo.

"MEN! Tonight shall be the last night in which we sleep in the sea's cradle. Tomorrow, at dawn, we shall establish a hold in the land. Rest today, so tomorrow we'll see a new day. A GLORIA!"

"A GLORIA!" shouted the men back.

June 28th, 1519
In Gaheel's Throne Room
Daytime

THOSE WHO CONTROL THE LAND​

The Vivankianni* sailors did the unthinkable: tried to settle into the Tardineanni land, more precisely, near the preeminent merchant town of Valoria*. They disembarked and started to clear the land, the tropical rainforest that spanned across the entire coast. They already had the first settlement ready when the news reached the palace. The Emperor was furious, so he called a meeting with the noble houses and the Royal Advisor, as he wanted a fast solution.

"HOW DARE THEM?" Gaheel's shout could be heard from the streets, as he couldn't control his anger anymore. We cannot let this absurdity keep going on."

"I agree, Your Greatness", was the response from the Royal Advisor. "We need to send our best soldiers to deal with that and call for Kinbafanni and Valorianni reinforcements."

"What are you waiting for, then?", the Emperor looked at everyone in the room. "Go deal with that, NOW!"

Everyone ran away from the angry Emperor and made the arrangements for what would be the first Vivankianni-Tardineanni skirmish.

July 1st, 1519
Near the Vivanquian settlement, Tardineanni coast
By midday

The Sun was already high in the sky when the troops made it to the invaders' camp. They encircled the small settlement, then showed up themselves. When the Vivanquian settlers got a hold of themselves, it was too late. There were at least three Tardineannen soldiers that could go against each sailor now-turned-into settler. This didn't stop some of them to take up their arms, however, Tardineanni General Rikari Akhor shout in broken Vivanquian:
No diebe intentar luchar! No vas a ganar! Ponga las arma en la tierra ahora, o morran!
Don't try to fight! You won't win! Put the weapons down right now, or die!

Realizing that they were outnumbered, everyone put their weapons down and surrendered. They thought this would be their end, however, Rikari spoke once again, this time searching for the captain, Luis de Ponce. He spoke at first to all settlers, then looked specifically at the captain:
Tus vida manterán, la prisón tu vas. Capitán, contramestre y los bien ranqueados a la prisón vas. Los otros a casa vas, contar de nosotros. Nuestra tierra, no tu tierra! Volverás cuando otros traer tu rei.
Your lives will be spared, however, you'll go to prison. The captain, boatswain and all the higher ups will go to the prison. The others will return to their homeland and tell them about us. This is our land, not yours! The others shall return to their homeland when their King comes to Tardine.

All the arrangements were made to send the others back, while the General personally took care of the prisoners. He approached Alfonzo, who he already knew was the boatswain. Rikari took a liking to the young man and said*: "You're handsome. Don't you think it would be nice if we got to know each other more closely? I bet you'd rather not be imprisoned." The shocked look in Alfonzo's face made the general laugh. "This isn't something you're used to, right?", said Rikari while the young man was facing the ground. "No, Sir. It is outrageous." The general made the man face him and said, with a smile: "I'll give you some time to think about it... Enjoy your time in prison."

A small victory that would mean the start of great days to the Tardineanni Empire. Their hopes were increasing, as it was the Watcher's sign that they were on the right path. Also, now that they were finally able to get one of those firemakers, their engineers would be able to replicate, or even improve, this fantastic technology. It sure would be an advantage for the upcoming battles, be it against the Vivanquian, be it against natives of faraway lands. The time to venture out to the seas has come and the Tardineanni won't lose it.

OOC notes:

*Vivankianni is how Vivanquian is spelled in Tardineanni
*Valoria is a very old town that is located in the nowadays province of Knasi
*General Rikari spoke to Alfonzo in Vivanquian, it was already translated to keep the reading flow

Back