[Shelved] Stopping Bribery and Intimidation Act

Cretox

Somehow, Palpatine has returned
TNP Nation
Cretox State
Discord
Cretox#0125
As others have noted in the past, the region's criminal and penal code (Chapters 1 and 2 of the Legal Code) does not currently contain any provisions regarding bribery or intimidation. As has been astutely pointed out, yes, this is a revised portion of some of the provisions in this earlier draft.

Stopping Bribery and Intimidation Act:
1. A new Section 1.4 and 1.5 will be added to the Legal Code of The North Pacific, as follows:
Section 1.4: Intimidation
14. "Intimidation" is defined as the willful intimidating, threatening, or coercing of any individual, directly or by proxy, regarding the exercising of their right to vote in an election, vote on a matter before the Regional Assembly, run in an election, or pursue a government office.

Section 1.5: Bribery
15. "Bribery" is defined as the offering, giving, soliciting, or receiving of any benefit with the aim of corruptly influencing an individual in a government position in the execution of their responsibilities in that position, or an individual in the exercising of their right to vote in an election, vote on a matter before the Regional Assembly, run in an election, or pursue a government office.
2. Clause 4 of Chapter 2 of the Legal Code of The North Pacific will be amended as follows:
4. Intimidation, Bribery, and Perjury may be punished by the suspension of speech rights, suspension of voting rights, restriction on standing for election, and/or restriction on serving as a government official for whatever finite duration the Court sees fit.
3. The remainder of the Legal Code of The North Pacific will be renumbered appropriately.

Last edited:
Intimidation, Bribery, and Perjury may be punished by the suspension of speech rights, suspension of voting rights, restriction on standing for election, and/or restriction on serving as a government official for whatever finite duration the Court sees fit.

This seems relevant for the purposes of your proposal. Generally I think the Speaker’s office prefers revivals of old proposals to use the same thread if it’s still readily available (this had not yet been archived). I’ll withhold further comment on the bill until we see how the duplicate posting matter is resolved.

This seems relevant for the purposes of your proposal. Generally I think the Speaker’s office prefers revivals of old proposals to use the same thread if it’s still readily available (this had not yet been archived). I’ll withhold further comment on the bill until we see how the duplicate posting matter is resolved.
This bill contains none of the fraud provisions of that one, which made up nearly half of it. It seemed illogical to revive an old thread when this bill serves a different purpose. Withholding comments doesn't make sense, since posts in this thread can easily be moved into that one if Fregerson does deem it somehow duplication.

After looking again and again, I still feel that this isn't the same bill given the additions. Consider it as me ruling that there isn't a duplicate between the two.

After looking again and again, I still feel that this isn't the same bill given the additions. Consider it as me ruling that there isn't a duplicate between the two.
I NOW OPEN THIS BILL UP FOR COMMENTS!!!!!11111

Can you give me some examples of what this would cover? Intimidation seems like such a subjective concept. Can you think of some instances where someone may have done some of the things this law seeks to prohibit? That is, do these kinds of acts present a real problem in the region?

I am aware of this happening and support the amendment. I’m not sure if people will speak on the record though. I’m supportive of this and think it’s a good way of addressing it.

The main one I’m aware of is offering positions for votes, and that appointment subsequently doesn’t happen after the election.

Last edited:
I think it would be difficult to prove, but that doesn’t mean we should oppose it. Seems like one of those things that is only justified as not already being written there because other laws already cover it. Otherwise, perhaps it’s a little embarrassing we didn’t already do this.

On a minor note I don’t like putting in these things that everything gets renumbered. I don’t think we need to do that as it is.

This seems incredibly poorly written and ripe for abuse. An unscrupulous individual could easily argue that any form of routine lobbying, even campaigning for yourself, constitutes as "Intimidation" by means of "Coercing" given how badly this Act is phrased and how it lacks actual definitions for words that are seemingly just thrown around.

Be more specific and try again.

Also, a vague reference to "corruptly influencing" without actually defining it? Hmmm...where have I heard that before?

Last edited:
I support a bill of this sort, although I'll leave it to the experts on whether this is the exact right language or not. The intent of it I can agree with, especially having witnessed a need for it.

This seems incredibly poorly written and ripe for abuse. An unscrupulous individual could easily argue that any form of routine lobbying, even campaigning for yourself, constitutes as "Intimidation" by means of "Coercing" given how badly this Act is phrased and how it lacks actual definitions for words that are seemingly just thrown around.
...and we'd rely on the court to not allow candidates to be convicted of intimidation according to the whims of bad actors, same as we currently rely on the court to not allow every single candidate ever to be convicted of fraud. "Someone could argue in bad faith and that argument could be accepted by a bad court" applies to every single part of TNP's laws.

The issue with making this more specific is that what exactly constitutes coercion, bribery, or whatever varies based on context. "Corruptly influencing" is intentional wording- my thought was to give the court a threshold they could apply to different cases. Do you have any suggestions for phrasing it better?

...and we'd rely on the court to not allow candidates to be convicted of intimidation according to the whims of bad actors, same as we currently rely on the court to not allow every single candidate ever to be convicted of fraud. "Someone could argue in bad faith and that argument could be accepted by a bad court" applies to every single part of TNP's laws.

The issue with making this more specific is that what exactly constitutes coercion, bribery, or whatever varies based on context. "Corruptly influencing" is intentional wording- my thought was to give the court a threshold they could apply to different cases. Do you have any suggestions for phrasing it better?

Forcing the Justice system to define legal terms because the RA was too lazy to bother clarifying the law is a Judge's absolute nightmare and will lead to rulings that either say "This law is broken, we're not touching it until you fix it" or the Justices making legislation from the bench, something that the RA has always hated whenever it occurs.

Wow, getting actual suggestions out of you is harder than I imagined! Anyway, bribery (of public officials, commercial, doesn't matter) is typically defined as someone using some benefit to influence someone in some position to act within the confines of that position in a way that benefits the first person. And soliciting or receiving the benefit in turn. I think I could get rid of "corruptly influencing" entirely by playing with the other components of that definition.

The term I really struggle to define is "intimidation." Say there's a nation - let's call it Samuel L. Jackson - who is running for office. Now Samuel L. Jackson has a way of just looking at you that some people might find really intimidating. It could be his domineering personality and aggressiveness that might be perceived as intimidation. Under this proposal, Sam could be hauled up on charges just for - I don't know, just for being there.

Then there is the problem with proving guilt beyond the very subjective claim of "Samuel L Jackson is scary to me." "I felt intimidated." And when you call upon the courts to be the arbiter in a personality clash, decisions will be made based upon who is popular and who is not.

I will try to come up with some positive suggestions to improve the language of this bill. It would help if I knew some concrete things that have happened that this legislation seeks to prevent. (I don't mean names, just some examples.)

"by proxy" What do you mean here? How would this work? Whats to stop me from saying Madjack promises to give GBM a position if they vote for him and GBM bringing Madjack to court? Why wouldnt Fraud work instead of Bribery? Why do we need to take their speach rights away? In what way would we limit their free speech?

The term I really struggle to define is "intimidation." Say there's a nation - let's call it Samuel L. Jackson - who is running for office. Now Samuel L. Jackson has a way of just looking at you that some people might find really intimidating. It could be his domineering personality and aggressiveness that might be perceived as intimidation. Under this proposal, Sam could be hauled up on charges just for - I don't know, just for being there.

Then there is the problem with proving guilt beyond the very subjective claim of "Samuel L Jackson is scary to me." "I felt intimidated." And when you call upon the courts to be the arbiter in a personality clash, decisions will be made based upon who is popular and who is not.
Maybe it's just an issue with the space this would operate in. This isn't real life, after all, and that makes questions of intent and coercion that much more difficult to answer. It might just be that the idea of charging someone for bribery, coercion, or whatever simply isn't going to work well here.

I will try to come up with some positive suggestions to improve the language of this bill. It would help if I knew some concrete things that have happened that this legislation seeks to prevent. (I don't mean names, just some examples.)
Candidate A promises certain voters positions, trading cards, WA support, or other personal favors in exchange for voting and campaigning for them. If the candidate wins and follows through, that isn't fraud, even though it might be shady. Leaking this information could cost the candidate the election, but it's still an agreement between two people in a private channel such as a discord DM, and a candidate won't try bribing someone they suspect is going to squeal. The person on the receiving end has little incentive to come forward about the dirty dealing, especially if the bribe is successful. Under TNP's current laws, culpability would squarely fall on the person doing the bribing even if it somehow falls under fraud. Under a bribery clause such as the one in this draft, the person on the receiving end would also be culpable for soliciting or accepting a bribe. The same thing applies to say a foreign official offering a TNP WA minister positions or favors in their region in exchange for supporting their WA proposal. Having a bribery charge separate from fraud or GM would create an incentive structure better suited to preventing this kind of behavior in the first place in addition to making it easier for prosecutors and the court to go after this kind of behavior directly. That is, if I figure out a way to define bribery without creating a big abusable hole in it. :D

You're right about intimidation. I think that I can remove the intimidation part entirely without losing much, since the only thing that would practically cover that isn't already covered is a candidate threatening voters or other candidates. However, in those situations the person being threatened can come forward about the problem and get a stronger response than any court decision. If the person doesn't come forward, they're probably not going to pursue a court case either. If they don't come forward, no one else is going to be pursuing that case either.

"by proxy" What do you mean here? How would this work?
By proxy means having someone else do something for you. Elections tend to have multiple people campaigning for or supporting a candidate. This would prevent a candidate from dodging culpability by having someone else bribing or threatening voters. Governments also tend to have multiple people working toward specific goals. This would prevent say a delegate from dodging culpability by having a minister bribe foreign officials. While this is different from conspiracy (a candidate could avoid formally endorsing the bribery and probably get off without a conspiracy conviction), maybe it's insufficiently so? I could take the proxy stuff out and just let conspiracy cover it.

Whats to stop me from saying Madjack promises to give GBM a position if they vote for him and GBM bringing Madjack to court?
That doesn't have anything to do with proxy. What's stopping you is the same thing stopping you from saying Madjack committed treason and someone bringing Madjack to court over it. You'd probably get a fraud charge at the very least.

Why wouldnt Fraud work instead of Bribery?
I tried to answer that in my response to GBM's post.

Why do we need to take their speach rights away?
I saw the "severity" of bribery as lying somewhere between fraud and espionage, and wrote the sentencing restrictions to reflect that. It's easy to change, though.

In what way would we limit their free speech?
In the same way we can limit their speech in espionage sentences.

I'm putting this draft on hold until I figure out a way to better define bribery (whenever that happens). It's not like it's crucial that this passes quickly.

Back