[DEBATE] Why are crashing, phishing, spamming, proxying and adspam in the Criminal Code?

Gorundu

I finished my Chinese homework
-
-
-
Pronouns
he/him
TNP Nation
Gorundu
Discord
an_dr_ew
In short, I'm pretty sure all of these are OOC offenses that should (and would) be covered by Admin. For the sake of completeness, I'm going to go through each one:

Crashing - The clause basically describes forum destruction, which I'm pretty sure is an OOC matter

Phishing - Pretty sure trying to steal passwords or accounts, or posing as admin, would be a serious admin matter

Spamming - While this does include the RMB, this is also covered by Clause 7.3.11 of the Legal Code, which says:
Violators of NationStates rules, or residents banned offsite by forum administration, may be subject to summary ejection or banning.
Since spamming is against NationStates rules, so they can be punished by summary ejection or ban.

Proxying - This one does have some IC basis, but is defined strangely. Using a proxy server by itself, is not really a big deal, it's only if someone tries to use it to get multiple citizenships that it's a problem. And there's also other ways than proxying to try to get multiple citizenships. So the crime should probably be called something else. Open to suggestions on what it should be called. "Obtaining multiple citizenships" is what I have but it seems a bit long.

Adspam - Again, it's already covered in Section 7.3, where clause 13 says:
Nations recruiting for other regions may be subject to summary ejection or banning.

I'm posting this thread to see if there's anything I've missed that makes it necessary for these to stay in the Criminal Code. If not, then I plan to introduce a bill to repeal them (and to change proxying to something that actually fits the purpose).

Eh. TWP just says it's "Actively Enforced by Forum Administrators". Don't see why it can't be the same here.

Eh. TWP just says it's "Actively Enforced by Forum Administrators". Don't see why it can't be the same here.
Because the treaty requires laws to be passed that proscribe such actions.

I see no reason for a change.

It's an outdated relic from a bygone era when IC-OOC distinctions are poor. It also has about three active signatories, but that doesn't mean other regions endorse forum destruction.

Nah. It's still a good thing to have in our laws.

Because there are still people who do this as a regional tactic. Discords are routinely hit by rouge regions who have no destinction between ooc and IC. It harms no one to keep it and it has cause no issues for us. If anything we should seek to get more regions to join it.

Because there are still people who do this as a regional tactic. Discords are routinely hit by rouge regions who have no destinction between ooc and IC. It harms no one to keep it and it has cause no issues for us. If anything we should seek to get more regions to join it.
Unless I'm mistaken, TNP law doesn't apply to nations outside TNP. If a forum (or Discord) destroyer from outside tries to join TNP they would either be stopped by admin or by the VD check, not by the criminal code. And recent forum/Discord destruction events have been universally condemned by major regions, COPS or not.

If a forum (or Discord) destroyer from outside tries to join TNP they would either be stopped by admin
I think that this is naïve to think when admin can't or won't 1. ban fascists, 2. ban known blacklisted players despite their being an amount of evidence that satisfies almost every other admin in NS and 3. would likely not even know that a forum destroyer was joining the TNP.

Back