Laughter filled the senate.

Imperator Constantine II stood from his golden throne in the senate house. He raised his hand and waited for the laughter to die out before he began to speak to the assembled body, while the laughter remained the centurion of the Pretorian guard banged his Pilla's handle. This killed the laughter. The Imperator looked at the one hundred gathered patricians and spoke:

"Esteemed citizens of this committee, we can not allow for some barbarian prince to so harm our honor as to say that they are equal to us. They have insulted me, they insult our empire. Let us deal with them, they seem to not comprehend the power that we wield..."

"If their boats are anything to say about their men, then we all know that they are 'sub par'!" The senator grabbed his nether regions and danced a bit. The Senate broke into laughter again. The Consuls rose and called for a vote to go to war. The vote came back for a resounding victory for the war party.

"Let us go south and show these barbarians what a real army looks like."

At the harbors in Nova Elanum:

The Imperial navy was preparing, there would be 5,000 ships to transport Eight legions and supplies back and fourth. The ships would bring weapons and armor, lamb and cattle, grain and wine, and fresh water. This operation was all under the command of Imperator Constantine II himself. His armor was ornate and his sword was made of a black steel, the blade of the Suadivici "Hydra Dente" Hydra's tooth. The Imperator stood at his dock and looked South West. This would be one of the largest naval operations since the great migration. Legates came and spoke to the Imperator:

"My Lord, I come to speak about the plan. Our maps show that there are several large mountain ranges that we must cross in order to reach the interior. We can go over or we can cross over the mountains or we can cross through several mountain passes."

"We will take the passes. If the reports from our ambassador is correct then these barbarians do not use heavy armor. That will be their downfall."

Several yards away there stood Centurion Maximus. Maximus was an older man who had served in the legions for twenty years and had served in several units. Today he was in command of a cohort of Epiphan from the eastern mountains. He was writing a letter to his wife:

"Dearest Claudia,
These barbarians from the east don't even speak Suadivici. It is disheartening to hear the youth so far behind what we once were. I for instance can speak thirteen languages. They can speak two, yes they are the official languages of the Empire. BUT the clear moral degradation of our society is on display, how undisciplined of the youth. They clearly need to live up to my way of the world because when has an elder ever been wrong, it is clearly the youth that is wrong. I must go now, the muster horns have sounded."

The horns did sound, all legionaries were called to get on the boats. It would be a week to get to the coast of the enemy, and then who knew how long it would be before they came back.

Summer, 199AD
Trantorianni Northern Province
Reinai Palace
On the sunset

i3pNHaV.png

Podarisk missed his home. It has been 6 years on this gruesome province and there were still more 9 years of being governor. "Why did I agree to come here?", thought him while looking at the arid landscape of the province. It was already the rainy season but there was still this uncomfortable heat around the citadel. Even bathing every day wasn't enough to send away the heat.

Trailing in these thoughts Podarisk was almost sleeping on the balcony as the night settled in. Suddenly, the door of his room bursted open and with a long sigh the young man turned his head towards the unexpected visitor who was just arriving:

- Duhnrem Reinai Gerhook, good night!* - said the messenger, while putting his right hand on his forehead** - I have a message from the Grandiosse Imporainni Zenulvia, the first!
- Hey Kalusk, how many times I have to ask you to call me Podarisk? - the other man smiled at the thought - You're only 2 years younger than me, please don't treat me like I'm some kind of old man.
- Yes, Mister Podarisk. - the governor's eyes sparkled with this - May I leave you alone now?
- Yes, you're dismissed for the rest of the night, Kalusk. Go to your house or whatever, bye!

Right after the messenger left, Podarisk started to read out loud the letter sent by the empress to him: "Dear friend Podarisk Gerhook, how are you doing?
I sent this message to you because I need to know if there were any advance on the diplomatic efforts towards the barbaric 'empire' from the north. You know that this matter is very important, not only to me, but the all Trantoriannen. Controlling the northern land will allow us to shine brighter than everyone else. Please maintain contact with me!
Your dearest friend, Zenulvia Haidoori.
"

Smiling at her inspiring letter, he remembered why he was still here. This woman was the cause. They met for the first time on the royal palace of Trantoria, when they were still toddlers. She was the youngest princess+ therefore was bound to be the empress when she turned 20.

He was only the eldest son of the lowest noble house and nobody ever looked him on his eyes, until she turned to be empress. She gave him a purpose and a job where his youngest siblings wouldn't take away from him. "I would go to the sky and take away the stars if she asked me to", he thought as he burnt the letter with a huge smile on his face.

On the city, same night

Kalusk was surprised by the way Mister Podarisk was treating him. The man was always cold and heartless even on the warmest days. However, whom was him to ask questions to the Reina? The only thing he knew was that he had a job to do. "Watch him everyday", said the empress herself. "He is a good man but is easily manipulated. We can't let him turn over against his empress, right?"

This wasn't the greatest job, nor the noblest, but the amount paid let his family have this nice meal while half of the city starved waiting the rain water the arid land. "One day," Kalusk promised to himself, "I will be the Reina and my family will never starve again!"​

Nowadays (200AD)

"Another year on this gruesome place", thought Podarisk. He was still doing this for his empress but he couldn't bear it anymore. "I will run away and create my own kingdom and never come back to this awful place." Before he could take his thoughts further, Kalusk entered his room with a tired look on his face:

- Podarisk... Mister! - he took a breath before talking again, to an shocked Reina - The ambassador of Navsland has finally come here++!
*there's no difference between evening and night on the Trantoria's language.
**putting the right hand on the forehead was the Trantorianni equivalent of bowing to an noble.
+the inheritance right was of the youngest son/daughter. That's why Podarisk would never do nobility only jobs like being governor or senator.
++for years the Trantoria's ambassadors tried to contact with the Navsland ones.

Reactions: Nev
Crassus Marcus Illivs was put in command of the initial landings. He was the one with the most experience in these barbarian lands, however disgusting they may be. Crassus knew that they would not try and contest the landing. The chiefs would not have came together to form a force that could challenge the legionaries yet, and there was a good chance that the barbarians ran away when they saw our triremes and Quardrames. Crassus gave a flag command, they ships were to drop off one legion to the island as a forward guard, then the warships were to follow them as they took the fortress city. The remaining legionaries were to be deployed and set up a camp for the initial steps.

The eighth legion was the one under Crassus' control, their goal was: find and destroy enemy forces, to this end they needed information. A small farming village nearby would serve well, when the 5,000 strong man legion entered the village Crassus could see the shock on the villagers faces. They had never before seen such armor and weapons, the gold eagle standard was a magnet for wandering eyes. The interpretor proclaimed loudly to the village:

"In the name of Senator Crassus Marcus Illivs. Operating under the authority of Imperator Constantine of the Imperium Suadivici, I here by demand information on the movement of soldiers through or around this village. If no information is given then this village shall be burned. So dictated by your new governor Crassus Marcus Illivs!"

The crowd in the village began to scream and run, they had no knowledge of where the troops had gone. But they knew the likely locations, and this was the tactic that Crassus was employing. The villagers began to run to the fortress town. Due to the lack of experience the legions had fighting the Navslandi they needed to figure out what the standard was. The legions took the civilians and sent them back to the camp, while letting some go. They were followed at a distance until they arrived at the city of Kisiwalanda. Once the scouts had returned Crassus began to prepare the legion to go and take the city:

"Send a rider to the commander of the fleet shadowing us, I want them to go and create a blockade. Nothing will get into the city or out of the city without us knowing. Then I want the legion to march with me to go and besiege the city. We will cut off their water supply and encircle them. I also want to prepare for any sort of assault on our lines."

From Crassus the orders were sent out to the centurions who told their men. The legion set out from their brief stop. The men began to sing a song that could be heard from miles away.

Legio, aeterna, aeterna victrix!

Verti est sua aeterni
Corda nostra solum tibi
Verti est sua aeterni
Vita nostra solum tibi

Suadi, Suadi, O Suadi!

A ferventi aestuosa Palmyra
Volat aquila legionum
Supra terra Magnaorum
Volat aquila legionum

Suadi, Suadi, O Suadi!

Sit Suadivicum sua vis
Nostrum munus patri Marti
Sit Suadicivum sua vis
Nostrum munus patri Marti

Suadi, Suadi, O Suadi!

Aeterna!

As they approached the city, they began to lay out into battle formation in order to show the city what they were about to face. The legions were here and they were ready for war.

Reactions: Nev
The day was hot, the sun was beating down, and the wind was slow. It was a shitty day to fight in hand to hand combat, but these barbarians came. The legionaries were hard at work building fortifications to keep the city encircled and prevent exactly what was happening. The commands came down from Legate Illivs, the standards were raised and the cohorts were to rush their parts of the line. The Barbarian horde came out into the open, there were thousands. Their weapons were iron and their shields were made of animal hide, a clear contrast to that of the Iron and steel of the legionaries. The Legate was preparing for the oncoming assault by this barbarian rabble, then horns were heard from the rear guard and the city gates were opening. Thousands more were exiting from the city. The only chance that the legions had was to use the fortifications that were built.

The remaining cohorts were told to form up in the back so that they could prevent an attack from the rear. There was clamoring in the ranks that a surrender was the only way to stay alive, men rustled around looking to see the fastest way away from the battle if it should have turned against the Imperium. The infantry looked on with horror as the Barbarian horde began to charge. The first call from the Centurions rang out.

"Archers!"

The call was answered by the sound of hundreds of men going to their positions on the barricade, and getting ready to draw. The archers on both sides saw what was waiting for the single legion, and they too felt a small shudder of fear. One voice above the others was heard by everyone.

"Well, at least they don't have armor on so even my shit aim could kill them."

This caused the archers and infantry to laugh. A small moral victory at this point meant more than an additional thousand men. The Legate began to make the last preparations when the centurions gave the order to notch. The archers followed their orders and prepared to fire at the enemy as they closed in. The hordes reached an effective range and the centurions gave the fire order. The arrows began to fly, the barbarians fell in large numbers. Their lack of heavy armor proved to be ineffective against the iron tipped arrows of the legion.

Illivs stood watching the force from the forest draw closer and closer, the archers weren't going to get them all. So he had to prepare his legionaries to fight.

"Arise, arise, Legionaries of Illivs! spear shall be shaken, shield shall be splintered, a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises! fight now, fight now, ride! fight for ruin and the world's ending! Death! Death! Death! Forth Suavidici!"

With this speech, the Legionaries began to yell. A yell that matched the scream of the charge of the Navish. This would be a red day for sure.

Illvis was on horseback waiting, the Navish had managed to bring their armies to bear against the Imperium. Illvis did not show any fear though his own men had been through countless battles in the conquest of Palmyra, and this battle was shaping up to be much like the sortees that the Palmyrans tried again and again. Bloody. All around horns blared as legionaries were sent to their appropriate locations on the field, Signifigers raised the legions’ standards, and Centurions yelled out as they readied their men. It was a whirlwind of Iron and leather, only broken by the purple banners.

The Navish charge began in the front and rear of the legion, thousands of soldiers rushed towards the Imperiums fortified camp. The Navish were primarily on foot so Illvis sent out the Epiphan Cataphracts, they rode forward to harass the charging soldiers with arrows. The scaled armor of the Cataphracts stood in stark contrast to the hide armor that the Navish employed. The difference in armor was always amusing to the legionaries, whose jokes could be easily heard even with the stress of battle closing in.

Despite the best attempts of the Cataphracts the Navish kept coming, an order was given out via horn and the Cataphracts disengaged. They galloped out and around the Navish lines, then a second horn blew. Illvis' hand rose and the archers around the camp prepared arrows to fire, Illvis looked down to his aid and said.

“Marcvs notice how the Epiphans are the ones with the arrows, it's because as we know an Epiphan can’t do a whole days work without a break!”

Marcvs laughed as Illvis put his arm down, the arrows shot out. Hundreds of archers released their arrows, chunks of the Navish lines melted away as the Epiphan archers let loose volleys. The Navish were able to keep coming, their hide shields protected from the arrows. The wave of Navish reached the edge of the range of the legions' pilla range.

The Navish made the final push into the Suavidici lines, that is when the legions let loose the pilla. The pilla hit the shields of the Navish and weighed them down. Illvis could hear the pilla connect, it was a glorious thing to hear. First came the thud, then the bending of metal as the barbarians tried to shake the pilla off, finally there would be a loud yell as the Barbarian threw their shield down to continue the charge. The rows of legionaries behind threw their pilla in turn, recreating the scene time after time.

The piles of bodies that the pilla left behind stood as bloody reminders to the Navish that the legionaries are a fierce enemy. The legionaries on the other hand had each throw relieve some stress, the Navish lost men and shields. It was a perfect situation for heavy infantry.

Illvis seeing the lines about to clash began to gallop forward, reaching the rear of the formation he dismounted and moved through the ranks with a shield and his gladius. Yelling the names of the centurions as he did. There was a tense moment before the navish were at the range for the counter attack. Illvis stood like a stone wall.

Finally, the order was given and the legions surged forward. The sound was incredible, thousands of men with armor moved as one, the segments of steel clanked as the wave of legionaries clashed with their less armored enemies. The only other sounds were the weapons clanking as each man fought for his life, and the yelling that comes with armies meeting.

Illvis fought near the front lines, he was with his guard unit to boost the morale of his men. However the weight of the Navish lines was overwhelming. Illvis gave the orders to his men, stab, cover, stab, cover. It was the typical Suavidici strategy, work the gladius with the shield; it was like a machine.

The battle continued, both towards the city and facing the approaching army the Suavidici began to push their enemies back. It seemed like the two forces had been clashing all day, Illvis looked to the sun and it seemed to be darkened. The sun however was directly above the soldiers in the sky. The dust of the battlefield was being thrown up to such a degree that the day seemed to become night. Illvis wanted to call for the hammer to strike the anvil.

After giving his final order to cover Illvis looked to the centurion, Quintavis Marcvs Glavis, and told him to take over command of the cohort as Illvis moved back to his horse and rode to the hill. His staff was still in position, and were looking out with flags trying to call for the cataphracts.

“How long have you been waving that flag, Marcvs?!”

“I have been waving it for the last ten minutes. I don’t think that they can see us, sir!”

“Marcvs, sometimes I think you are more stupid than the fucking horses. Blow the horns!”

Marcvs ran over to the horns and blew the order to the cataphracts to return to the battle. There was a long pause as the commanders waited for a response. Then the call came from the distance as the Cataphracts made their dash back to the main formations. The hooves were heard above the roar of the battle. Lances were drawn and readied.

Illvis waited on horseback as his heavy cavalry rode in as quickly as possible. A smile slowly came across his face, as his victory came near. Soon this vital city would fall to the purple banner, the Suavidici would be able to use this as a resupply point.

Back