Hulldom
Discord
seathestarlesssky
ga.jpg

Repeal: Citizenship and Birth Act
Category: Repeal | GA #552
Proposed by: In Insulam Autem Sanguis et Magia | Onsite Topic
Replacement: Onsite Drafting Thread

General Assembly Resolution #552 “Citizenship And Birth Act” (Category: Civil Rights; Strength: Significant) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Affirming that the intended purpose of "Citizenship and Birth Act" is to ensure that children do not become stateless,

Observing that the resolution fails to alleviate situations that most commonly result in statelessness, including those children whose parents are themselves stateless,

Noting that the resolution arbitrarily prescribes a default of jus sanguinis citizenship, despite preventing statelessness in only a limited capacity,

Further noting that the resolution does little to prevent statelessness for individuals after birth,

Asserting that this erroneous legislation evokes a more effective resolution to be chartered,

Hoping for the opportunity to introduce a more proper solution to this most pressing issue to the World Assembly,

The World Assembly hereby,

Repeals "Citizenship and Birth Act".
Note: Only votes from TNP WA nations and NPA personnel will be counted. If you do not meet these requirements, please add (non-WA) or something of that effect to your vote.
Voting Instructions:
  • Vote For if you want the Delegate to vote For the resolution.
  • Vote Against if you want the Delegate to vote Against the resolution.
  • Vote Abstain if you want the Delegate to abstain from voting on this resolution.
  • Vote Present if you are personally abstaining from this vote.
Detailed opinions with your vote are appreciated and encouraged!

[TR][TD] For [/TD][TD]Against[/TD][TD] Abstain [/TD][TD] Present [/TD][/TR][TR][TD]1[/TD][TD]1[/TD][TD]0[/TD][TD]0[/TD][/TR]

Last edited:
As for why this was not posted sooner: up until about a day ago, this wasn’t campaigned for and didn’t have but 7 approvals, I was not sure it would make queue until well after it was campaigned for. Anyways, this proposal will take the floor (presuming it is not withdrawn or marked illegal) at Tuesday’s Major Update.

This is a tricky one with a Pandora's box. On the one hand, there are always some abuses with jus sanguinis, but jus solis also has problems and there are counterarguments on both sides, and most countries have some combination of either, and I feel there are not going to be perfect solutions. (As a related issue, what to do with captured foreign volunteers for terrorist organizations is one of the toughest issues facing Western governments today. I am not sure if revoking their citizenship, as the British have done (I am oversimplifying here), is right.)

Last edited:
This proposal has been withdrawn and accordingly, thread locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back