[SHELVED] Penal Expansion Act

Cretox

Somehow, Palpatine has returned
TNP Nation
Cretox State
Discord
Cretox#0125
As others have noted in the past, the region's criminal and penal code (Chapters 1 and 2 of the Legal Code) does not currently contain any provisions for bribery. Additionally, I personally find the definition of "election fraud" (1.3.12) to be insufficient to cover the actual scope of actions implied by the name of the offense.

Vote in favor of this and I'll look the other way if you decide to pass the SC in endorsements. I kid, I kid.

Penal Expansion Act:
1. Section 1.3 of the Legal Code of the North Pacific will be amended as follows:
Section 1.3: Fraud
12. "Fraud" is defined as an intentional deception, by falsehood or omission, made for some benefit or to damage another individual.
13. "Voting Fraud" is defined as:
  • an intentional deception regarding the candidates running in an election, the time or venue of an election or a vote on a matter before the Regional Assembly, or the requirements or methods by which one may be eligible to vote in an election, vote on a matter before the Regional Assembly, or run in an election; or
  • the willful procurement, casting, or tabulation of invalid or false ballots or votes, or the willful reporting of invalid or false ballots, votes, or results of an election or vote on a matter before the Regional Assembly as though they are valid or true.
2. A new Section 1.4 and 1.5 will be added to the Legal Code of the North Pacific, as follows:
Section 1.4: Voter Intimidation
14. "Voter Intimidation" is defined as the willful intimidation, threatening, or coercion of any individual, directly or by proxy, regarding the exercising of their right to vote in an election, vote on a matter before the Regional Assembly, or run in an election.

Section 1.5: Bribery
15. "Bribery" is defined as the offering, giving, soliciting, or receiving of any benefit or thing of value with the aim of corruptly influencing an individual in a government position in the execution of their responsibilities in that position, or a citizen in the exercising of their right to vote in an election, vote on a matter before the Regional Assembly, or run in an election.
3. A new Clause 4 will be added to Chapter 2 of the Legal Code of the North Pacific as follows:
4. Bribery will be punished by the suspension of speech rights, suspension of voting rights, restriction on standing for election, and/or restriction on serving as a government official for whatever finite duration the Court sees fit.
4. All sections and clauses of the Legal Code of the North Pacific following the new Section 1.5 will be renumbered appropriately.

Last edited:
Section 1.3: Fraud
123. "Fraud" is defined as an intentional deception, by falsehood or omission, made for some benefit or to damage another individual.
132. "Election Ffraud" is defined as:
  • an intentional deception regarding the willful deception of residents with regards to the candidates running in an election, the time or venue of an the elections, or the requirements or and methods by which one may be eligible to vote or run for office in an election; or
  • the willful procurement, casting, or tabulation of invalid or false ballots, or the willful reporting of invalid or false ballots or election results as though they are valid or true.

Last edited:
1. How much of your bribery thing was from my bit?

2. Have you considered the possibility of a candidate bribing voters?

1. How much of your bribery thing was from my bit?
I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't actually read through your campaign thread since posting my questions (assuming that's where you posted your bit).

2. Have you considered the possibility of a candidate bribing voters?
My idea was to have that be under election fraud (now voter intimidation). Bribing citizens is certainly a form of coercion in the context of an election, and having it under bribery proper would open a can of worms I don't want to deal with (eg the Vice Delegate getting sued 3 times a day for "bribing" people to become Keepers).

Edit: I would love to introduce further offenses such as collusion and extortion, but that would be after business on this bill is wrapped up. I don't want to cram too much into one item, especially one that handles criminal law.

Last edited:
I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't actually read through your campaign thread since posting my questions (assuming that's where you posted your bit).

My idea was to have that be under election fraud (now voter intimidation). Bribing citizens is certainly a form of coercion in the context of an election, and having it under bribery proper would open a can of worms I don't want to deal with (eg the Vice Delegate getting sued 3 times a day for "bribing" people to become Keepers).

Edit: I would love to introduce further offenses such as collusion and extortion, but that would be after business on this bill is wrapped up. I don't want to cram too much into one item, especially one that handles criminal law.
You may want to make that clearer then - the general language of the clause reads to me more like coercion in the sense of blackmail.

Edit made to address LD's concern and to include RA voting in the bill's provisions.

Last edited:
Back