-
-
TNP Nation
Castle in Confidence
Discord
.wonderess
4Cls8Bh.png

On the Election and TNP's Current Direction

The results of this very close election have finally been reported, and the rightful will of TNP as a proud democracy has been made manifest once again as every successful transfer of power before it. It is not our democratic culture nor the campaign process that I will be reflecting on here but the aims and future that the majority is seeking by virtue of the choice for Delegate being in Robespierre. So let us depart:

What Makes a Delegate: There are undoubtedly a thousand different answers to this one question as I'm sure we all have our own understanding of what makes a good delegate or public servant in general. There is the work ethic and creativity of the individual to consider along with the previous experience and general confidence of the public one thinks about as well. For me, there is something vital about the very outlook of the candidate that is worth considering when making a choice of vote. It is one thing to be considered efficient, practical, or pragmatic where one is both willing and able to do what it takes to get ahead as a region, NationStates is a game right? So of course these become the paramount considerations. I've been known to propose a second category of criteria that I think is just as important if not more so. NS is a game, but it is uniquely a game of community. Just like the political realm of the real world, matters of people's very livelihood and futures are at the center of policies and conversations and that certainly translates to NS to some degree. A delegate must know his or her people and respond to them fro heart to heart, seer to the seen, servant to their people, or simply human to human. Any community needs its leader and TNP being an authentic community is no different. It just happens to be tied to NS gameplay where political moves of the analytical sort must be made from day to day. It is with joy that I can say from my own experience that many of our past delegates have both the heart and mind to fulfill all the dreams of TNP governance. I think fondly on those delegates who have become my friends in which the heart and mind worked as one in their efforts to give what they had for our region: @Pallaith, @El Fiji Grande, @Prydania, and @mcmasterdonia at least to me serve as shining examples of this sensitive dichotomy and yet time and time again we the people find those up to that task.

My Admission: We turn now to the present moment and there seems to be a shift to something new. The next generation is now grabbing hold of our region's reigns and that in itself is a sign of a healthy NS region which I have been told by seasoned members of the region and have come to accept myself. However, any person of sound mind knows that new is not always better. It is guaranteed that what our leaders prize and strive for eventually come to define what it is the community as a whole strive for. Those elected develop the avenues we as a region take both communally and abroad. It is very clear to me at this hour that what TNP's new leaders prize is utility and the accruement of success by any means analytically found fit for the region while also being politically expedient. Now, this is nothing new in the realm of modern politics, but I have not seen before a school of the region so engrained in that avenue of thought as I do now. The humanity of our delegacy is now in jeopardy because it has been sacrificed for the sake of what is both new and most advantageous in some quantifiable way. The greatest things in life and in personal community are unquantifiable and so while activity rate may rise or the number of raids increase, something will remain missing because the head of our region has not the bridges necessary to obtain them, and this is the human and loving spirit of those who share in an activity out of pure joy for the connection and collaboration. I believe that the hope of true unity in TNP is lost because our leaders do not know unity nor what it takes to strengthen it and so it is left to drift away like a ship off a rocky, turbulent coast stuck in the tumultuous seas where no one has ventured.

But here is my admission, that which I hope most. I hope that time will prove me wrong. I wish and pray all the best to our new Delegate, Robes. May he exceed every current expectation I now have and show me that he was actually the most capable unifier and man of the people all along.

God be with Robespierre, his cabinet, our government, and all TNP.

I'll endeavour to engage with the argument rather than focus on areas where one could take offence, but I do have one overriding question:

What do you define as 'true unity' and why it is good to have?

I think you wrote the opposing response to your own arguments when you said...
"It is very clear to me at this hour that what TNP's new leaders prize is utility and the accruement of success by any means analytically found fit for the region while also being politically expedient."
I mean, welcome to NationStates. That's what this game is. One of the game's foci centers around the building of regional influence and authority. To be a delegate of a GCR, and hell, the biggest GCR with the most delegate endorsements, is a crowning achievement, so I don't blame anyone for pursuing it. If the region really has a problem with someone "not being a unifier", they'll just be shown the door in four months, or even earlier if it's really that bad. Be thankful that we're a democratic region and not some aristocracy or kleptocracy like other places.

I'll endeavour to engage with the argument rather than focus on areas where one could take offence, but I do have one overriding question:

What do you define as 'true unity' and why it is good to have?
Well, simply put unity is one of the transcendental properties. I think since we are a community that in itself implies that we want on some level oneness or unity.

I mean true unity as a people not just brought together by circumstance or common goal, but a true appreciation from one in the community in all which inspires them to selflessly will the good of all others and so also the good of the whole. Because unity is a transcendental, where it is so will goodness, truth, and beauty lie. I am well aware that my perspective on governance is different from the mainstream one. I think government thrives when it strives to reflect the highest things such as the transcendental properties of being.

For those who need some background: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendentals

Applied to TNP, what is the difference between this:
brought together by... [a]...common goal
and this:
a true appreciation from one in the community in all which inspires them to selflessly will the good of all others and so also the good of the whole

I don't see a difference beyond the latter requiring significantly more elucidation.

Surely the common goal of all those in government in TNP is to make our community a better place?

I think a good leader takes the people where they want to go. Robes' extensive platform clearly spelled out his plans for the term, and the majority of voters felt it aligned with where we want to go. Unity comes into play when we all work to support one another, even if our preferred candidate didn't win this time.

Last edited:
Applied to TNP, what is the difference between this:

and this:

I don't see a difference beyond the latter requiring significantly more elucidation.

Surely the common goal of all those in government in TNP is to make our community a better place?
I don't deny that each of us wants to better the region, I just think that the idea and emphasis on what betters it causes disagreement. I think most commonly better means improving things that are measurable or quantifiable when that only represents a portion of the picture. I'd like to draw the analogy of TNP to an adolescent. It is in a state of growing and coming to better understand itself and the world it operates in but this is not fully accomplished through mere knowledge or measurable milestones like a good grade or the number of friends it has. There is also a humanistic element which gets at the ability to understand purpose, values, hopes, and other abstract realities that are important to human growth. I feel justified in this analogy because TNP is an interconnection of real people. Better must include this dynamic.

Back