East Isles for Speaker: New, But Familiar!

Status
Not open for further replies.

East Isles

Registered
TNP Nation
East Isles
Discord
East Isles#4583
Salutations, prosperous nations! I’m East Isles. Some of you may know me, but if the Performance Review Poll is any indication, plenty of you don’t. I am a new face around these parts, having only been a citizen since February. In this short time, I believe I have shown a willingness and an ability to fulfill the duties of the office of Speaker and a dedication to the region itself.

For the last two months, I have served as a Deputy Speaker on Robespierre’s staff. I have been an active and consistent presence during my time in said role, processing citizenship applications and performing checks. When the opportunity came, I took on more lead days on the Speaker’s schedule and increased my responsibility in the office. I have also been active in the North Pacific Army, where I was appointed Deputy Minister of Defense by Nimarya.

I will keep this part brief. I don’t have any significant plans for changes to the Speaker’s Office. I am satisfied with the current structure of the office and believe it runs very efficiently. My main goal for this term is to increase efficiency. This means processing citizenship checks promptly. My goal is that the Speaker’s check is the first check completed on as many citizenship applications as possible. I also intend to perform regular audits monthly. Mistakes happen, and they need to be corrected as soon as possible.

Under my leadership, the Speaker’s Office will be engaged and active. I humbly ask for your support in my bid for the office of Speaker. Feel free to ask any and all questions below!

Idk, you seem kinda sus, but I think you have the idea down pat. I have faith in your abilities to keep the ship stable. You have my endorsement.

Pretend that you're a power-mad lunatic out for revenge against all those who have slighted you. How would you abuse the power of the Speaker's Office to destabilize the region?

Actually East I have two questions for you.

A. Do you have any deputies in mind?
B. How would you coup the region?

Pretend that you're a power-mad lunatic out for revenge against all those who have slighted you. How would you abuse the power of the Speaker's Office to destabilize the region?
B. How would you coup the region?
If I were a power-mad lunatic (assuming I'm not already), my plan would be simple. I would fill positions of power with my lackeys. I would also work as slowly and inefficiently as possible while rushing to vote on proposals I personally favor. I would rewrite the standing procedures in the worst ways possible, disregarding previous working precedent.

Luckily, I am not a power-mad lunatic with a desire to commit treason.
A. Do you have any deputies in mind?
I have some ideas. I'd like to retain as much of the current deputy staff as possible. I believe we have a good group that works well together and I'd like to keep that going into the next term. Beyond that, I am open to welcoming both new and old talent into the office. If someone is willing to put in the work and commit to the job, I would welcome them with open arms.

If one of your deputies makes a citizen post for an applicant and adds them to the citizen list, but the Vice Delegate has not done his check yet nor has the time limit passed, are they a citizen?

If one of your deputies makes a citizen post for an applicant and adds them to the citizen list, but the Vice Delegate has not done his check yet nor has the time limit passed, are they a citizen?
No, they are not. For an applicant to gain citizenship, they must pass all three checks as required by law. Each check is crucial to the security and functioning of our region. In this case, the Vice Delegate has not performed their check nor let the time limit lapse. Thus, adding the applicant to the citizen roll is premature. In such a case, I would discuss the error with the deputy to help them learn from their mistake.

Can you explain your slogan "New, But Familiar!" and how is it relevant to your platform? How do you plan to increase the efficiency of the Speaker's Office? According to a court ruling of 2013 the Speaker has the power to unilaterally table proposals. How would you use that power?

Thank you for your time and good luck with your campaign.

Can you explain your slogan "New, But Familiar!" and how is it relevant to your platform? How do you plan to increase the efficiency of the Speaker's Office? According to a court ruling of 2013 the Speaker has the power to unilaterally table proposals. How would you use that power?

Thank you for your time and good luck with your campaign.
I chose the slogan "New, But Familiar!" to emphasize the main characteristics I plan to bring to the Speaker's Office. I am quite new around these parts, but my plans for the office shouldn't surprise anyone. As I've said, my goals rest upon the idea of continuing a good thing, not reinventing the wheel. I want to keep the office running as well as it has been and not add too many shiny but ultimately inefficient and ineffective innovations.

My plans for increasing the office's efficiency rests upon the idea of empowering deputies. I want my deputies to feel as though they can act with relative autonomy. I will continue with the Speaker's schedule, as a clear structure is important to running a smooth office, but I also want my deputies to feel like they can process applications if they notice they aren't being performed. I want my office to hold itself accountable for shortcomings as well. If something is not to a deputy's liking, I want them to feel like they can speak up about it. Feedback from the region is important as well. This term, Robespierre held a performance review poll looking for comments from the general population. I believe this was a great idea and will look to find new ways to receive input from the citizens. I believe these as a whole will improve efficiency in an already efficient Speaker's Office.

The power to unilaterally table proposals should be used sparingly. I hope no situations arise where I have to use said power. In the case on point, the tabled proposal, which targeted one individual's rights, was blatantly unconstitutional and provoked considerable flaming and line-crossing behavior. In response, the Speaker at the time unilaterally tabled the thread. Given the specific context, I believe that was the correct if difficult decision to make. If a similar situation were to arise, I would consider exercising that power. Absent similar extenuating circumstances, I would not be exercising that power.

Last edited:
In your opinion, does the Speaker have a role in improving regional activity?
I believe the Speaker's role in improving activity should be making it easy to get involved in the regional government. Citizenship is for the most part a prerequisite for getting involved in the region and the Speaker's Office controls the citizenship process. This is why I am prioritizing efficiency and speed in the application process. The last thing the region needs is to lose out on talented people willing to make a difference. An inefficient Speaker's Office risks losing those people. I believe that is the Speaker's role "formal" role in improving regional activity. I also believe the Speaker and their staff should "informally" be knowledgeable, outgoing individuals that can help point new members in the right direction. When questions arise on the discord and the RMB, the Speaker and their Deputies should be willing and able to answer those questions if they can.
You dont have fancy support badges but you have my support
Thanks for the support, Kasto!
Do you own a dog?
Indeed I do. My family owns 3 dogs. The oldest is a border collie named Maggie. She is unbelievably energetic and smart. The other two are chihuahuas named Tyson and Coco. They were brought to our local animal shelter together, where we then adopted them. Unfortunately, I haven't spent much time with them, as my family adopted them recently and I am still away at college.

Last edited:
Indeed I do. My family owns 3 dogs. The oldest is a border collie named Maggie. She is unbelievably energetic and smart. The other two are chihuahuas named Tyson and Coco. They were brought to our local animal shelter together, where we then adopted them. Unfortunately, I haven't spent much time with them, as my family adopted them recently and I am still away at college.
very sad

New Francois is barred from holding citizenship. Should he want to regain his citizenship rights, what would be the proper procedure?

New Francois is barred from holding citizenship. Should he want to regain his citizenship rights, what would be the proper procedure?
As New Francois is permanently banned from the forum, in answering this question, I assume he is using an alt and not explicitly identifying himself as New Francois. In that event, the Admin's check would identify him as New Francois, and he would fail the Admin's check. At that time, a Deputy Speaker or I would reject his application for failing the Admin's check. In fact, this happened recently and was handled in the way I described.

Last edited:
Why do you think the Speaker's check is the most "important" one? Do you have other objectives beyond maximizing Efficiency?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you think the Speaker's check is the most "important" one? Do you have other objectives beyond maximizing Efficiency?
The Speaker's Office has the most important role in the citizenship application process. The Speaker controls the granting of citizenship, and no one is added to the citizenship roll until the Speaker or a Deputy adds them and gives them the proper masking. As the Speaker's Office has an outsized role in the process, it has to be on top of that and not let things slip. This is why I believe the Speaker's role, not just the check, is the most important in the citizenship process.
As for other objectives, I mentioned performing regular audits. Two have occurred during Robespierre's term and have corrected discrepancies. I want to do them more often, as we should strive to correct mistakes as quickly as possible. I'd also like to develop new talent in the Speaker's Office. Having good people that know how to do the job right and can eventually take over as Speaker is important for the health of the Speaker's Office and the region as a whole.

How many deputies is too many?
I think there is a balance to be had. Having too few deputies leaves too much work on each individual. It also misses the opportunity to develop talent for the future. On the other hand, too many deputies would make the office unwieldy and confuse who is supposed to do what when. I also fear that with too many deputies, there is a risk that less work gets done, with individuals thinking, "someone else will do this work, so I don't have to." Personally, I thought the balance we had after I joined the Speaker's Office worked well. Having 7 people in the Speaker's Office assigned to one day of the week gave us clearly defined responsibilities and expectations while allowing us to adapt and fill in holes whenever someone was unavailable to do their checks that day. Given that, my ideal range for deputies would be 5-7. I could consider going above that if I believe someone has enough potential to excel in the role, but 10 would probably be my hard limit.

Last edited:
As Speaker, will you act to disallow or discourage branding in the name of bills?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back