he/him
TNP Nation
Arcanstotska
PROLOGUE

Monday
16 October, 2939
4:16 PM Local Time
Planet Antus IV

The transport came to a halt just outside of the cave entrance. The humming of the engines came to a halt as the vehicle powered down. Everything was shut off, save for lights and basic systems such as life support. Three stood up from their seats and moved to the lockers where they slipped on their EVA suits. They fastened their helmets and secured the pressure and oxygen before they grabbed their equipment and opened the door. They looked about their surroundings. Nothing but rock. The object of interest was about three kilometers away on the other side of the cave network. They had a bit of walking to do.

One member of the group pushed a button on his wrist. “Antus Colony, this is the survey team. We have arrived three klicks southwest of the anomaly. Proceeding to the site now. Over.”

“Copy that,” a voice came in from the other end of the commlink. “Let us know what you find. Antus Colony out.”

Aaren Crane looked over to his other team members and motioned for them to follow. The trio made their way over to the entrance of the cave system.

“Toggle your lights,” Aaren pushed a button on the side of his helmet, lighting up two pairs of bright white LED lights which illuminated the front of the cave. “Let’s go see what we’ve got on our hands.”

The team proceeded into the caves, into the cold, dark, tight caverns and crawl spaces. Eventually they came upon a large open chamber. But there was more than just rock this time. There were structures, definitely of intelligent design. Most of it looked to be artificial walls and terminals built into the cave walls.

“By the cosmos,” one of Aaren’s teammates, Jessica, remarked under her breath, “How did we miss all of this in the initial planetary sweep?” She moved over to examine one of the artificial walls. It was covered in small repeating markings and symbols which all looked familiar.

“This is Imperial Text,” Jessica exclaimed. “I thought we were the first ones here?”

“I don’t know why there’s Imperial tech out here but we’d best call it in with the colony. Aaren, get on the comms and tell them what we’ve found,” ordered Aaren’s other teammate and the group’s leader, Carsten. “Jessica, where’s that anomaly located?”

Jessica looked down at a tablet in her hands and pointed towards one of the artificial walls. “On the other side of that wall and another thirty meters of walking. There’s a console next to it but I’m not sure if it still works.”

Aaren pushed the button on his wrist again. “Antus Colony, this is the survey team. We’ve entered the cave network which leads up to the anomaly site and we’ve found old Imperial terminals and doors. Any records of previous Imperial presence on this planet? Over.”

It was some time before a reply came back. “Negative. As far as public records go, we’re the first ones out here. Proceed to the anomaly site. Over.”

“Copy that, Antus Colony. Survey team out.”

“Jessica, see if you can get that door open.”

“Roger dodger,” she replied before moving over to the terminal beside the wall. She dusted it off to be greeted by a touch-screen.

“Touch-screens? This really is old tech then,” Carsten remarked.

“Yeah, well it’s definitely Imperial in origin,” she replied.

“The government’s probably gonna wanna talk to us about what we found, ya know,” Aaren pitched in as he looked around the walls, brushing dust off of the text with his hand.

“Yeah, if they don’t arrest us for being in a restricted system first,” Carsten scoffed.

Jessica chuckled as she pushed a few buttons on the screen. “Just another illegal deep space mining operation for the company. Anyway, I think I’ve almost got this door unlocked. Just give me another minute or so.”

Aaren brushed some more dust off of the walls to be greeted with more text.

C-12, SPECIMEN CONTAINMENT
AUTHORIZED PERSONNEL ONLY

Specimen containment, huh?
Aaren thought to himself. He looked back over his shoulder to Carsten who was inspecting another door. “Hey Carsten, what’s your door say?”

“Nothing,” he replied with disappointment. “What about yours?”

“It says something about ‘specimen containment.’ What the hell do they mean by ‘specimen?’ I thought this was just another lifeless rock?”

“Maybe it wasn’t always ‘just another lifeless rock’ then,” Jessica chimed in. “Regardless, we’ve got a job to do and we don’t have the liberty of taking detours.”

Aaren and Carsten glanced at each other. “She’s got a point,” Carsten said.

“Of course I do,” she said as the door to the anomaly opened. “Door’s open. Let’s get going.”

The hallway on the other side of the door was covered in some sort of organic substance. Whether it was alive or not? They couldn’t tell. But it sure as hell wasn’t a rock. It was tan and dark brown and even a fleshy pink. And it was everywhere.

“What the hell?” Jessica remarked. “What is that stuff?”

“Not a clue, but the anomaly is somewhere down there. Let’s get moving.” Aaren walked into the hallway, trudging through the organic goop.

“Aaren!” Jessica called him out, “Are you insane! We have no idea what that shit’s made out of! This is violating every safety protocol in the damn book!”

“Relax, Jessica,” Aaren sighed. “You said it yourself: we’ve got a job to do.”

Jessica grumbled and pushed a button on her communicator. “Antus Colony, this is the survey team. We have encountered a hallway filled with some sort of organic substance lying between us and the anomaly. Should we proceed? Over.”

“Affirmative, you are to proceed to the anomaly site. Antus Colony out.” Jessica cursed under her breath before she followed behind Aaren.

“Hey wait! What about the safety protocols?” Carsten called out. Neither of the other two answered.

“Fuck it,” Carsten grumbled before he followed them into the muck.

The trio turned the corner and came upon a large opening leading outside the cave facility. Before them stood an obelisk shaped like two horns twisting around the other. It was large and black in coloration and covered in red symbols which they couldn’t recognize.

“Oh my god…” Aaren murmured.

“This must be the anomaly,” Jessica said, looking down at her holotablet.

“Aaren, radio the colony. Tell them we’ve found the anomaly!”

Aaren nodded and held up his communicator. "Antus Colony, this is the survey team. We've found the anomaly. Over."

"Acknowledged. Please send visual confirmation. Over."

Aaren held up an imaging device and pointed it towards the object. "Antus Colony, you should have a visual now. Over."

Monday
16 October, 2939
7:26 PM Local Time
Planet Antus IV

“So that’s the anomaly,” Colony Manager Vetus Malso murmured under his breath as he stepped out of the organic muck and tried to wipe it off his EVA suit boots and unto the rocks below his feet. He stood in awe of the object, puzzled by how they missed this facility in the planetary sweep when the Colony was first being established.

“So what do you think it is? Some kind of alien artifact?” Jessica asked, shining her light onto the object.

“What else could it be? Unless the government built this, it had to have been aliens. That does not look like a natural rock formation.”

“Maybe we should get the psychics to see if it has any mystical connections,” Jessica joked. Dr. Keyse shot her a glare before turning his eyes back to the object in fascination. “What do you think it was to whomever built it?” It was all questions with Jessica at this point. Hiroya couldn’t blame her though. In fact he shared many of her questions.

“Who knows? A comms beacon? A supercomputer? An energy generator? An idol devoted to their religion? We don’t know yet. But I shall get to studying this artifact immediately! Who knows what secrets it may hide?” Keyse exclaimed with excitement.

“Immediately?” Colonial Security Chief Jado ‘Vutan chimed in. By the sound of his tone-of-voice Jessica could tell it was argument time.

“Are you blind, human? Have you so quickly forgotten this organic substance?” Jado shined his light around the artifact to show the organic sludge all over the place. “We do not yet know if this substance is safe or if it is some sort of hostile organism. You may study the artifact after we can be certain that this organic substance will do no harm. Not before.”

Keyse shot him a look. He wanted to say something but he knew Jado was right. “Fine. Have it your way. But I will get to have my time with this artifact.”

Jessica rolled her eyes. “So when do you want us to move this thing?”

“What do you mean ‘move it?’ It’s not going anywhere!” Keyse protested.

“Well, sorry to crash your little nerd party doc, but this ‘artifact’ is right in the middle of the crack zone. We only have three weeks before the Axia arrives to perform the planetcrack. This thing can’t be here when it does. We’re gonna have to clear this organic shit and move the artifact into the colony. You can study it there.”

“No no no, this artifact will not be disturbed!” Keyse shouted in protest. “The artifact will remain here for my studi-”

“She’s right, Dr. Keyse,” Malso interjected. “The artifact is going to be moved into the colony where it can be properly studied. Mrs. Bailey, call up the dig teams and let them know they’ve got something to move. And get someone to check out that damn gunk and make sure it isn’t dangerous.”

Jessica nodded and turned on her commlink to the colony. “Antus Colony, this is Bailey. Notify the foreman that he and his team have an artifact to move. Oh and make sure to bring some geneticists along to check out this organic substance. Over.”

“Copy that. Dig teams have been notified and are prepping to head over. Archaeology and biology teams are inbound as well. ETA one hour. Antus Colony out.”

“Alright, dig teams and nerds are on their way to get this thing moved and checked out.”

“Good,” Malso turned back towards the hallway. “I would also like to take a look at that ‘specimen containment’ room to see what kind of ‘specimens’ we’ve got on our hands.”

“Right this way, sir,” Jessica stepped back into the sludge.

The door C-12 opened to reveal a room filled with old cryo-pods lined up on the opposite wall. Stored inside were humanoid bodies twisted and turned in grotesque forms. Their bodies looked to have something growing on them, like some kind of parasitic organism. They had sprouted tentacles from their arms and faces and chests and stomachs. Despite it all, they had very recognizable human characteristics. Human faces, human hands, human feet. Jessica could have sworn she saw one of the tentacles twitch.

“By the spirits,” Malso remarked, “what the hell are these things?”

“I saw one of them fucking move! They’re still alive! I say we kill these ugly fuckers!”

“Nonsense!” Keyse said as he moved towards one of the pods and placed his hands on the glass. “They shall be put in safe captivity so that I may study them. I mean look at them, they bear some resemblance to humans. If you ask me, this is fascinating!”

“You can’t be serious!” Jessica protested. “What if these things try to kill people?! What if they get loose in the colony?!”

“They won’t, my dear. Don’t worry.” Malso placed his hand on Jessica’s shoulder. “We’ll guard these specimens with proper security personnel. Radio the colony and tell them what we’ve found.”

Jessica turned on her communicator. “Antus Colony, this is Bailey. We’ve entered the room designated ‘specimen containment.’ We’ve got some new guinea pigs for Dr. Keyse to play with, over.”

“Copy that, Bailey. We’ll ready a shuttle for transport. Antus Colony out.”

Jessica turned back to the others who were all still staring at the “specimens.” Concerned, she walked over.

“If this place used to be some kind of secret government research facility,” she began, “why the hell did the government abandon it?”

Keyse briefly looked over his shoulder before turning back to the creature in the cryo-pod. “This organic material must have forced a planetary evacuation. I’m honestly surprised anything is able to survive on this planet without life-support equipment. The LS systems in this facility appear to have fallen into disrepair a long time ago.”

“Do you think the artifact had anything to do with it? Seems to me like this shit’s more densly concentrated around the artifact.”

“Perhaps. Once I take a more thorough look at the artifact I believe we’ll know for certain.”

Malso sighed. “I want this facility and the artifact restricted and quarantined. At least until we can be sure that this substance poses no danger.”

Keyse nodded. ‘Vutan looked up from his holo-tablet. “I’ve already arranged for P-Sec* officers to guard the facility. They shall make sure that no one interferes with the science teams nor the dig crews.”

“Good, let’s get out of here.”

The group walked out of the room, though Dr. Keyse stayed behind to observe the specimens. Finally he turned to go, not wanting to get lost all alone in the cave network on the way back.

set them free…

He whirled around to look back into the room. Was Mrs. Bailey playing tricks on him? He could have sworn he had heard something.

“Doc! You coming or what?” Jessica called out.

“Uh, yes Mrs. Bailey. On my way!”

*P-Sec = Planetside Security

Back