-
Pronouns
He/him
TNP Nation
Francois Isidore
Discord
themacmilitant
Delegate McMasterdonia:
Mr Speaker, I hereby appoint @Westinor and @Peeps to the Election Commission, subject to a confirmation vote by the regional assembly.
The Delegate has appointed @Westinor and @Peeps to the Election Commission. I now open the floor for debate and discussion on these appointments.

Seeing as to how @mcmasterdonia has recently posted a message about nominations to the Election Commission in the regional Discord server, I'll consider that to be suffice for the statement of support that I would have invited them to give. However, if they have any additional words that they'd like to say for these specific appointments, I encourage that too.

Once moved, the motions that I will be putting to vote for these confirmations are as follows:

Motion:
The Regional Assembly confirms the appointment of Westinor to the Election Commission.

Motion:
The Regional Assembly confirms the appointment of Peeps to the Election Commission.

A question for both people that are nominated: Do you plan to participate in any election in the upcoming 6 months?

A question for both people that are nominated: Do you plan to participate in any election in the upcoming 6 months?
I have no concrete plans to do so however I cannot rule it out.
Do you think that current electoral laws (or even EC procedures) need to be changed to resolve any ambiguities?
I do not believe any change is needed at this time.
Do you have any goals for your terms as Election Commissioners?
Only to execute the office to the best of my abilities, including overseeing an election if possible. I do not plan on running for Chief EC.

Some questions for @Peeps: How familiar would you say that you are with our democratic process? Do you believe our election cycles to be comparable to the election cycles of some of our treatied allies such as the Republic of Europeia (where you have past experiences)?

If so, my tertiary question to you is this: What does North Pacifican democracy mean to you and how is it different from the other places that you have been? In your view, what is the mark of a good Election Commissioner, and, although you said you have no intention of seeking the Chief Election Commissioner’s seat, would you feel comfortable enough to act in this capacity should your services be required/called upon?

No, I do not have plans to participate at this time.
Do you think that current electoral laws (or even EC procedures) need to be changed to resolve any ambiguities?
Not as of right now.
Do you have any goals for your terms as Election Commissioners?
Similarly to Peeps, I want to carry out the duties of the office to the best of my ability.
@Westinor and @Peeps, what made you want to become ECers?
Access to the Discord channel, duh.

But in all seriousness, I think that serving as an EC is a good way for me to continue contributing to TNP, and I feel that I can do what needs to be done in a competent manner.

Some questions for @Peeps: How familiar would you say that you are with our democratic process? Do you believe our election cycles to be comparable to the election cycles of some of our treatied allies such as the Republic of Europeia (where you have past experiences)?

If so, my tertiary question to you is this: What does North Pacifican democracy mean to you and how is it different from the other places that you have been? In your view, what is the mark of a good Election Commissioner, and, although you said you have no intention of seeking the Chief Election Commissioner’s seat, would you feel comfortable enough to act in this capacity should your services be required/called upon?
I would say that I have sufficient familiarity to serve as an EC. I have reviewed all applicable laws and the EC rules and am confident that I will be able to serve well on the body.

As for comparability to my other experiences I believe that both processes do have similarities beyond that in process. Specifically that both Europeia and The North Pacific place incredibly high regard on their elections and their integrity, something I plan on upholding as EC.

Democracy in The North Pacific is democracy in the largest region in NationStates, and as such is incredibly important to not just our region, but the large network of friends and allies we possess. We have a duty as the largest region and therefore the largest democratic region to have a robust and transparent democracy, and as such the EC is an incredible position of trust. A good EC will uphold that trust and do it in an efficient and timely manner, not too different than the position of trust that the Speakers office has to ensure Citizenship applications and removals are processed in a timely and lawful manner.

As for the Chief EC seat, if I am called upon to serve I have no doubt that I will be able to, however at this current moment there are members of the EC that have served for quite some time with distinction, so allowing them to seek that seat would be ideal.

@Westinor and @Peeps, what made you want to become ECers?
I have an almost stockholm syndrome like enjoyment when it comes to offices involving spreadsheets it seems :P

When McM put out the call for EC's, I knew it would be an admirable way to serve TNP and volunteered immediately. I am not sure what other motive I can provide.

I have an almost stockholm syndrome like enjoyment when it comes to offices involving spreadsheets it seems :P
OML same here. Maybe I should join the Speaker's Office next? :rofl:

Anyways, to test both of your knowledge of the law (which strangely the questions aren't coming), I would like to ask the following:

1) Imagine you get a vote like this in a delegate by-election, where the candidates are: Cretox State, Mcmasterdonia, and Siwale.
Delegate:
1. Mcmasterdoia
2. Dreadton
3. Abstain
4. Siwale
Re-open nominations: Y
How would you count this vote? Why do you count it that way?

2) In your opinion, under what circumstances would you have to activate restart of the voting process/election as provided under 6.2c/6.2d of the Rules of the EC?

Last edited:
1) Imagine you get a vote like this in a delegate by-election, where the candidates are: Cretox State, Mcmasterdonia, and Siwale.

I would count the ballot as having McMasterdonia as the first choice and Siwale as the second choice. I would not count their RON vote.

If a ballot has preferences as well as abstain, then the abstain is not counted. Only yes or no is acceptable for RON so their vote is not counted there either. Then preferences are in the descending order with Abstain not counted. Dreadton is not running so the vote for them may not be counted.

2) In your opinion, under what circumstances would you have to activate restart of the voting process/election as provided under 6.2c/6.2d of the Rules of the EC?
First for restarting the voting process. If the provided ballot is incorrectly given such as if it is missing a candidates name or if the Court rules that a large irregularity occurred during the voting process, I believe the voting should be restarted.

As for restarting the entire election, I believe that should occur if there is significant reason to believe that a qualified candidate was prevented from standing illegally or if the Court rules that some other large irregularity occurred in the standing process.

This is not an exhaustive list and some items will need to be processed on a case-by-case basis as they arise.

EDIT: Changed answer to question 1, I seem to have temporarily lost literacy.

Last edited:

Well, if I'm not wrong ballots that do not vote Yes or No to RON are not counted. In the case that the ballot did vote "Yes" or "No" to RON, McM would be counted as their first choice and Siwale their second. Dreadton is not a candidate in the scenario presented so the vote for them should not be counted.

I don't think that I can lay out every circumstance in which a restart of the voting process/election would be warranted. Restarting the voting process could be warranted if, say, the presented ballot had been incorrect. In the case of restarting the election, there would have to be substantial proof that a citizen that was eligible to run was prevented from doing so illegally, or some similar situation. As Peeps has noted, situations would likely need to be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Back