Breathe

You musn’t hit a 3-0 grand slam, not even when your team’s bullpen needs some work; don’t celebrate a home run - you’ll get drilled in your next at-bat; but I don’t get angry after one mistake, not once; this is how you hit a ball opposite field; this is how you stand out because you can hit a ball 330 feet the other way; this is how you bite your tongue when you hear your anger start coming out and so prevent yourself from looking like a loud-mouthed fool you are so bent on becoming.

“We’re gonna win a College World Series Championship together - If you commit to us...”

These words echo in my head as I stand back to reflect on how I’ve come this far. I stare at Coach Harrison - This is it. What all of my work has been leading up to… Right? Going to Cardinal University to accomplish something that I’ve been wanting to do for years? Cardinal University is all it’s cracked out to be, right? I saw the campus myself. I saw the trees, I saw the people, I saw the coaching staff, I saw the professors… I loved Cardinal on my visit… Right?

This is how you read a hop; this is how you throw 86 across the diamond; this is how you stand on a pedestal to earn the respect of your classmates; this is how you play the game with grace so you don’t become a disgrace yourself.

This is it. My big opportunity. But, why don’t I feel right? Why do I feel like I could do something totally different… This is the sixth school to visit me at my own High School. The University of Alloway, the University of Reed, Hamilton University, North Icenic University, and Padrick University have all visited me at school. Cardinal was the school I wanted… Right? If so, why did this meeting feel so… Routine? I shake off these thoughts as I rise to shake Coach Harrison’s hand. “I’ll be making my decision in an hour or so… I hope you will be in attendance,” I say with a smile… Flashed, of course, but a smile. Coach Harrison shakes my hand and walks into the auditorium. I look at Coach Johnson, my High School coach who has stood by me through the thick and thin.

“How’d it go, son?” he asks me,

“Very well! I think I’ve made my decision,” I said fakely,

“Great to hear. Remember that this is your decision and nobody else’s…”

“I know, sir.”

“The eight hats are lined up. You expecting any visits from Handers or Norwood College?”

“No, sir. They already spoke to me at their respective schools.”

My Coach nods as he pats me on the shoulder, “I’ll let you sit here with your decision. I’m proud of you, Joseph. The young man you’ve become - You’ve grown a lot from your freshman year and I’ve loved seeing you become the leader in our program that you are.” I smile as Coach Johnson walks out, and I’m left here. Alone… Pondering my decision…

This is how you celebrate; act like you’ve been there before - don’t stop, don’t stare, don’t read the ball in the air; keep running, the umpire will let you know if you’re out, and your coach will let you know where to stop; don’t show emotion; play the game right because that’s what you’re supposed to do.

I look at my small list… Handers, Norwood College, Hamilton, North Icenic, Alloway, Padrick, Reed… They’re all really good schools but to me… They’re not… Cardinal… Cardinal is clearly the option that I want. But, if it is, why am I feeling so… Nonchalant about it? Should I be excited? Should I be professional? Who should I turn to? Who can I turn to?

I look at the list one more time… I wish that she were here to make the decision with me… I wish I had somebody to help me earlier in this process. After reviewing the list, I decide which one it is… It’s clear as day to me… Right?

Be a professional, not a kid; You must enjoy this game while keeping respect for it; this is how you celebrate; this is how you don’t offend the other team; this is how you show your passion while keeping it contained; let them stare; make the best decision because you’re expected to know what to do.

I walk onto the stage. A crowd of hundreds of my classmates, my teachers, other coaches, staff members, faculty, and the coaches from all eight schools on hand to see my decision. This isn’t football, but with the attention I’m getting, it might as well feel like it. To be fair, I am the first player from my school to be able to play in college… I lock eyes with all eight coaches and I stand at the mic. I look at the table; hats and a jersey from all eight schools facing the audience; like a lightbulb to a moth. All I can do is stare… The clean white jerseys on the table with their respective schools… I go to the mic.

“Here we are, everyone. It looks like we made it. Decision day, and I’m faced with a tough decision between the Hamilton Bears, Cardinal Redwoods, Reed Soldiers, Padrick Tigers, Handers Shipmen, Norwood College Eagles, North Icenic Wildcats, and the Alloway Bears… Off the bat, I would love to thank everyone in this room for believing in me even when I didn’t believe in myself. Y’all gave me love when I needed it the most… I truly needed you more than you needed me… Coach Johnson, I love you, and thank you for everything… And for the Coaches… Coach Reid of Cal, Coach Harrison of Cardinal, Coach Livingston of Hamilton, Coach Norris of Reed, Coach Biehl of North Icenic, Coach Smith of Norwood College, Coach Saunders of Padrick, and Coach Fitzpatrick of Handers… Thank you for your continued interest, and offers for me to play at your programs. I truly am blessed and thankful… Now, with that said, I have made my decision...”

I walk over to the jerseys and hat on the table… Pacing quietly and slowly. “I have decided that I will further my academic and athletic career at…”

Last edited:
Back