Cretox State
Discord
Cretox#0125
ga.jpg

Regulating Overseas Election Administration
Accelerator Draft Discussion and Review

Category: Furtherment of Democracy | Strength: Significant
Proposed by: Boston Castle | Onsite Topic

Whereas issues regarding in-person voting are best left to individual member states that issues of absentee voting are best addressed by uniform standards, be it enacted as follows:
  1. In this resolution,
    1. ”election day” refers to the day in which voters are prescribed by law to vote in an election or election(s);
    2. ”absentee voter” refers to any voter who lives in their nation of citizenship who votes in advance of the date prescribed by law for an election;
    3. ”expatriate voter” refers to any voter who votes in their nation of citizenship who lives in a nation which is not their nation of citizenship and chooses to vote in the former;
    4. ”mail ballot” refers to a ballot which utilizes a postal service for the purpose of obtaining and returning a ballot;
    5. ”e-voting” refers to any method of voting which utilizes a technological interface by which a ballot is cast remotely.
  2. All member nations are required to employ the same methods of counting for all ballots cast by absentee voters and expatriate voters.
    1. Member nations may require that ballots cast by these voters be counted separately from ballots cast by voters who choose to not employ alternative methods or who vote on election day.
  3. All member nations must make clear to its citizens who request to vote as expatriates or absentee what special requirements there are, if any, for their ballot to be counted.
  4. Member nations are allowed to enact the following restrictions on absentee voters who utilize mail ballots:
    1. witness of ballots by another sapient being who can affix a mark to the ballot,
    2. time restrictions on when ballots may be requested such that there may be a fixed date, communicated to absentee and expatriate voters, whereby ballots must be received, and
    3. restrictions on who may vote remotely such as requiring military service or severe illness before a sapient being can utilize a mail ballot.
  5. The same restrictions which states are allowed to enact on absentee voters who utilize mail ballots may also be enacted on expatriate voters who utilize mail ballots.
  6. Absentee and expatriate voters must receive a ballot that is compliant with their request and matches the election day ballot of the electoral division in which they are registered to vote.
  7. The following provisions may be enacted in regards to expatriate voters:
    1. Member nations may create an “overseas constituency” of all expatriate voters where their collated votes may count towards representation in a national assembly or otherwise.
    2. Member nations may bar expatriate voters from participating in regional or local elections.
  8. All member nations must make clear to its citizens who utilize e-voting what processes are used to ensure their vote’s anonymity and how their vote is counted.
  9. Member nations are allowed to enact the following restrictions on those who choose to utilize e-voting:
    1. use of a form of national identification in order to ensure that a sapient being votes no more than once,
    2. use of certain platforms that are not open for corruption or influence by malign actors, and
    3. time restrictions on when one can access an electronic ballot.
Note: This is an internal discussion on a draft proposal accepted to the WA Accelerator Program. Please rip this draft apart and offer any comments you may have; the objective here is to help the author make this proposal better. If the author does not have access to this subforum, comments will be communicated to them by the Minister or an assigned Deputy. Detailed feedback is appreciated and encouraged!

Sponsorship Voting Instructions (Optional):
  • Vote Accept if you want the Ministry and Delegate to sponsor the proposal upon submission.
  • Vote Reject if you want the Ministry and Delegate to not sponsor the proposal upon submission.
Detailed opinions on whether to sponsor this proposal are likewise appreciated and encouraged!

Accept Reject

Last edited:
"disenfranchised" replaced with "excluded from the political process". in intro clause 1.

Would like some feedback/criticism.

I will note that unless the consensus is that the structure is bad, I don’t plan to change it at this point.

Got some edits. When do I not?

1. Definition of constituency eliminated

2. former/current 2(a) eliminated

3. “harmonize” in new 2(a)/current 2(b) changed to “coordinate”

4. 3(b) eliminated

5. “ who are conducting elections” added to clause 6 after “member nations”.

More edits.

1. Definition of “overseas voter” changed “ , who is registered to vote,” eliminated, “ who is not in aforementioned nation at the time of a national election, relevant by-election, and/or national referendum,” added at the end of clause 1(a).

2. Clause 1(b) eliminated.

3. 2(a)(i) added. “Clarifying that polling places must be open for the same hours as they are open in the nation conducting the national election, by-election, or referenda,”

4. Clause 5 deleted.

More edits Bc this is tedious, but it needs to be done.

1. “including” changed to “such as” in Clause 5(a)

2. “, subject to the time zone of the polling place's location," added to 2(a)(1);

3. "reform" in clause 2(b) changed to "harmonize" to be in compliance with earlier law;

4. Clause 6 eliminated.

Gotta say I am grateful for y’all’s support. This has been a fun thorn in my side the last few months and I’m glad to see that *maybe* third time’s a charm.

Suggestion: replace sapient being or sapient with 'people' or 'person' please
I understand why this should probably be done. I had initially resisted it, but yeah-going to do this now.

If you could change “sapient being” to “person” where it is, Cretox, I’d be much obliged.

Edit two: Done, Honeydewistania.

Last edited:
Back