Imperium Galactica: Nightfall [Open]

Bridge of the Kilaalmesh, Combined Battlefleet of House Nazdi, Taer Atlos Orbit

Admiral Afalyyan sat cross-legged on the floor in the middle of the bridge, which was empty save for he and a couple of his officers. His eyes were closed, his breathing outwardly calm. But the Admiral dare not open his eyes, at least just yet. He was not sure if he could yet bear witness to the macabre calm in the wake of the slaughter. Though Afalyyan was young (especially for a House Admiral), he was not inexperienced in the ways of battle. His task group was a vital part of the peacekeeping in the marches of the empire where his house resided. But no battle he had engaged in had come close to this level of death. To count each drifting mausoleum, once proud and formidable starships, and to know how many souls went to their deaths before their time made him sick to his stomach. Some Admiral he was, bah, he thought to himself.

The Kilaalmesh, now reunited with its sister, the Bakhamaat, fared better than most ships engaged in the battle. But both were limping heavily. The Kilaalmesh had its mobility crippled when a squadron of Imperial Fleet fighters slipped through the cracks of the loyalist defense and engaged the venerable warship, partially or fully destroying several thrusters on the starboard side. The fighters were quickly engaged and eradicated, but the damage was done. It would not be leaving the system for a while, but had thankfully lost minimal crew.

The Bakhamaat had also taken significant fire, having sat nearly within the Imperial Fleet for the fight. The field generators for the the port fighter bay were destroyed, causing depressurization in the bay as the atmosphere was ripped out of it into the vacuum of space, several of the main batteries on each side were severely damaged, and it had sustained a major hull breach that had, at the time, threatened to decapitate the ship. Through all this, the Bakhamaat gave as good as it got, destroying several traitor starships, and Afalyyan could not help but admire the tenacity and bravery of its captain and his peer, Admiral Unnuzal Eygir.

Afalyyan had just steeled himself to returning to his proper duties and assisting in counting the dead when the door to the bridge opened and his lord's signature respirator crackle alerted him to the presence of Margrave Ayyal. He stood up, turning around and bowing mildly in one fluid motion. Though he knew his lord didn't necessarily like the show of deference, it was necessary regardless. "Ukhanyaar, my Lord Ayyal. I'm honored by your presence aboard the Kilaalmesh. Have you spoken to Admiral Unnuzal yet?"

Ayyal replied, their voice pleasantly level through the crackle of the respirator, "Yultsanyaar, Admiral. I am pleased to see the Kilaalmesh stands proud as ever. Admiral Unnuzal and I just spoke, before my arrival to your ship. Their casualties were severe, but they retained a fortunately large portion of their fleet, and those who did not survive will have their names interred in the temple spires of the homeworld, I'm sure you know. I am impressed by your actions during this battle, Admiral. You've honored House Nazdi."

The admiral smiled slightly, nodding, "Thank you, my Lord. I was just returning to assisting in counting the dead and directing clean-up efforts when you arrived. If you are to stay, I will have the bridge provided with tea."

The margrave nodded, "I will stay, Admiral. I'll assist you in your duties, you have earned some respite."

The Archduchal Palace
Trovan

The throne room was a crowded mess, Amelia sat quietly on the raised white throne watching as her courtiers and advisors chatted. The room was abuzz with gossip and theories about the result of the siege of Taer Atlos, with all sorts of speculation being made about who the Emperor is and if the Valin's would be on the right side of the conflict. Amelia turned to her side and gestured her advisor to approach her. The advisor in question was her dear friend Delilah Norwood, fifteen years her senior Delilah born the daughter of two bankers Delilah grew up in the upper classes of Trovan. Going to school in Trovan Delilah quickly proved her worth, distinguishing herself as a student and quickly graduating college with a certification in Religious studies. Now, most would have stopped there and gone to work as a tutor or a priestess but something had caught her fascination.

The old Cult of Arona was at one point the dominant faith of the Violet fields among the upper classes. It was a cult of excess that thanked a goddess which provided them with their wealth and power. A goddess whose power was fulled by the blood of poor, innocent souls of those who were beneath them. A Goddess who had been driven out by those of the Piathan faith, due to her "heretical nature" and after a century rejected by the Archduke Fredrick of the House Valin. Her morbid curiosity led her deeper down the path of the occult and heretical, leading Delilah to eventually discover the former seat of the Cult and finally come to a realization, she must bring about its return.

Approaching her Delilah bowed deeply, Amelia smiled and began to speak.

"Have you heard any word from my father?" She asked gripping her chair slightly.

"No, your majesty. We have been trying to make conta.." She was cut off suddenly by the echoing sounds of a man's feet, sprinting down the hallway outside the throne room. And from its entrance, entered a young man dressed in the attire of an Archducal guard. Shouting the man called out Amelia's name.

"Princess Amelia! Urgent news from Trovan!" The man was exasperated and tired-looking, his uniform dirty and hair tousled.

"Speak of the devil.." Delilah mumbled under her breath. Turning away from Delilah Amelia looked at the guardsman and spoke, her voice echoing around the room.

"What news do you bring guardsman?" She asked.

"Your Majesty, your father, the Archduke... he.. he is dead." The guardsman said panting.

"Excuse me." Amelia gasped, standing up out of her seat, her hands beginning to slowly tremble as tears slowly formed falling down her face. She stormed off to her private study, quickly followed by Delilah. Entering the room together, Delilah locked the door behind them as they came in, making sure no one was listening.

"He's dead, after all these months he's finally dead." Sobbed Amelia, but these were not tears of sadness. "Arona has been avenged, the outsider is finally dead!" She smiled and hugged Delilah tight, tears streaming down her face.

"This is good my sister." She whispered into Amelia's ear as she held her close. "You are finally free."

Amelia stepped out of the embrace, wiping the tears from her eyes. "I must make an address to the court. I'll need your help with it."

Delilah nodded, to her and walked over to the now Archduchesses's desk

Amelia followed and sat down picking up her holo-pad from its decorative holder.

Turning her head to Delilah she asked, "So how should I start this?"

Back