1,000 Years of Darkness; Part 1 - The Last Koi

1020 (713 years before Aleman Colonization)

A baby cried in the center of the village. The parents of the newborn turned around trying to calm him down. Cries turned to sobs. "Shhhh! It's okay, Lynoka!" the mother cried. The baby quieted down as the people went into hiding. Black clouds rolled in. But one couldn't be mistaken. A storm was not coming. A raid was. The dark clouds were from the smoke that the Byeloszlavics would ignite before a raid on the Koi Tribes. And it seemed like it was coming fast. Mothers hid with their children inside of the small, stone buildings. The word that the Byeloszlavics had wiped out three of the Koi Tribes to the North, South, and West had come earlier in the week. Now, it seemed that they were ready to end the Koi once and for all. Warriors stood near the gates ready for battle. The intensity was high, and it was tense. Very, very tense. The breathing of thousands could be heard. This was a matter of life and death. Then, the dreaded sight was heard.

BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!

The banging of drums from the distance was heard. It was time. The Byeloszlavics were here and they were coming up fast. The air was tense and with one loud yelp, the warriors charged. The crash of swords began to rage through the quiet day. And the battle that a whole culture was depending on was here and it was in full-rage. The men in the field sprung into action and they tried their best to defend the gates. Kano sprung with his sword and began to duel. As an eleven-year-old, he was the youngest swordmaster in the tribe. He had his master's warpaint and he had his duel swords as he led his men into the fight.

The swords clanked and the young man had started engaging in battle. Kano glared at the three Byeloszlavics he was holding off. He pushed one back and found an opening through another's legs. He slid underneath and stabbed the soldier in the back before he guided the body under his domain into the other soldier stabbing the other one dead. More soldiers came right to him. Kano sharpened his daggers on his hands. With one swift move, he threw two daggers right into the necks of two soldiers and had two right-left slashes with his two swords. Six more soldiers died at his feet, and he kept advancing. He located his father fighting. He was surrounded. Then, the dreaded happened.

"Father!!!!" he shouted,

His father fell to the ground with little life. Kano came up right behind him and slashed all ten soldiers near his dad down, killing all ten of them. He got down to his knees and looked at his father one last time. "I'm... I'm so proud of you..." he coughed out. Kano started to tear up. "I'll kill them al-"

"There's no time. There's too many. I need you to get your mother and your brother out of here and carry on our legacy... Teach Tano the way of the sword. Make him a master. I know you ca-"

He fell lifeless mid-sentence. Kano placed his swords back into his side and ran to the village. His mother stood outside with his baby brother. "Take him. Quickly!" she shouted. She gave Kano Tano and went back inside. "Mother! Where are you-"

"Go!"

Kano began to run before he was being chased by Byeloszlavic soldiers. He ran to a path and merged into the lane. He spotted a traveler from another tribe. "Please!" he shouted as he approached the traveler. "May you please take my little brother somewhere safe? I'm begging you!" The traveler took the young boy and looked at Kano. "Please... Keep him safe."

The Byeloszlavic soldiers approached Kano. It was around thirty. Kano charged right at them like a warrior should; head-on.

Back