TNPer
-
-
TNP Nation
Zyvetskistaahn
Discord
Zyvet#9958
Zyvetskistaahn for Justice
Hello, I am running for reelection as Justice. I have been a Justice for a while, including as Chief Justice for this most recent term, and served as Speaker some time ago. It has been a busy few terms for the Court.

I have drafted a number of opinions of the Court, which I will link to at the end. I have also overseen a criminal trial as Moderating Justice, The North Pacific v Ikea Rike, and contributed to sentencing decisions in others (also linked below). The Court made some amendments to its Rules in the past term which I supported, most of those changes have not yet come to be tested, but the addition to the rules for requests for review of notification for respondents has. The recent request for review concerning the Speaker had the Speaker as respondent and he chose to provide a brief to the Court, which I at least found helpful as a Justice; I do not know whether the Speaker was intended on providing a brief in any event but I think that if the naming and notification of respondents encourages briefs replying to requests for review, it will be helpful in giving the Court a fuller examination of the issues.

There are some further changes to the Rules that I would like to see made, particularly around criminal proceedings and dealing with the Attorney General's records. I will admit some of the changes I want to pursue have been a long time coming, in part because the experience of a number of trials and changes in the law (the AGORA Act) have meant more changes being considered, but also because they have often slipped onto the backburner. The changes I am thinking of are, in essence: to set out the process for seeking exculpatory evidence, so that it is in the Rules and not in a ruling; to provide expressly for changes to indictments; to the guilty plea process, so that the basis of a plea is clear and that, if there is a dispute around it, such a dispute can be resolved; and adding in provisions to deal with the necessary delays that can come from the appointment of prosecutors.

I am usually fairly open about answering questions, but I may be a little more circumspect this time around where questions relate to the ongoing request for review and criminal trial.

R4Rs: on the Speaker's Power to Extend Voting Periods; on the Regional Ban of Kirana; on the Form of the Oath of a Delegate; on the Speaker's Power to Schedule Votes.
Criminal trials: Whole India; Ikea Rike; Slatos.

Theoreticals

1. Its Liberation Day. The Ministry of Radio has released a show talking about why this day is important. @Praetor files a criminal complaint because radio shows are non-essential government business. Dreadton points out that Non-essential government business is undefined and that an essential government function is educating the population about the reasons behind Memorial Days. Where would you go to seek guidance on what is essential or non-essential?

2. A citizen opens a thread to change the standing procedures to require a 24 hour period between the opening of debate and a vote, except when an emergency is declared. The thread is closed by the Speaker. He states that such a discussion is not in the interest of the region. The citizen files a R4R. He states that the Speaker violated the rules, as limiting the power of the Speaker is in the interest of the region. The speaker states he has broad leeway in controlling debate. He also points out that the Citizen has been critical of him in the past and this is just an attempt to harm him politically. The Speaker continues to end debate on any attempt to change the rules or laws that would limit his power. Finally, a recall motion is published to remove the Speaker. The Speaker closes debate on the recall in the interest of the region. What legal avenues are left for the Citizens of the Region?

Theoreticals

1. Its Liberation Day. The Ministry of Radio has released a show talking about why this day is important. Praetor files a criminal complaint because radio shows are non-essential government business. Dreadton points out that Non-essential government business is undefined and that an essential government function is educating the population about the reasons behind Memorial Days. Where would you go to seek guidance on what is essential or non-essential?

The obvious starting point is wording of the law itself. “Non-essential” has a fairly obvious meaning as something that is not necessary, but I do think that has limitations when applied to our region, as in a strict sense, one could argue that almost nothing is necessary, so I think one would have to look more widely than just the word “non-essential”.

The one activity the law specifically identifies to halt is votes of the Regional Assembly, which accords with and codifies what was once the practice of the Speaker around regional holidays. That specification provides information on other activities, for instance, it could be taken as suggesting election votes need not halt, as the law could easily require votes in general to stop and as halting election votes has not been practice (at least as far as I recall). However, it is fairly far removed from the example.

I would also take into account other legal obligations of the regional government. Where something is required by some other law, it would follow, to my mind, that is not non-essential for the purposes of the law on holidays. For example, the requirements to give effect to criminal sentences. But, again, these factors do not arise here.

Beyond the strict provisions of the law, the purpose of the law should be taken into account when deciding its meaning. This is especially so where, as here, the law does actually state the object of memorial days. That being so, I think that the need to preserve and honour important events would be relevant to take into account when deciding what is non-essential, as to do otherwise would defeat the object of the law.

I may consider the discussions of the Assembly on the law, as noted by the Court’s decision on RA Membership Requirements for Candidates, as it does seem to me there is ambiguity, but for this particular case I don’t think those discussions are helpful, as the Assembly didn’t discuss this point. Additionally, were there previous decisions of the Court on the meaning of the law in question or of “non-essential” in other contexts, I would consult them, but I don’t think are any decisions on this point.

So, the answer has a fairly wide range in the circumstances, as to where I might look for guidance. I would think, for this particular question, I would be most guided by the law’s object.

2. A citizen opens a thread to change the standing procedures to require a 24 hour period between the opening of debate and a vote, except when an emergency is declared. The thread is closed by the Speaker. He states that such a discussion is not in the interest of the region. The citizen files a R4R. He states that the Speaker violated the rules, as limiting the power of the Speaker is in the interest of the region. The speaker states he has broad leeway in controlling debate. He also points out that the Citizen has been critical of him in the past and this is just an attempt to harm him politically. The Speaker continues to end debate on any attempt to change the rules or laws that would limit his power. Finally, a recall motion is published to remove the Speaker. The Speaker closes debate on the recall in the interest of the region. What legal avenues are left for the Citizens of the Region?

The starting point, when looking at any issue around the Speaker’s actions in the Assembly is to consider the decision taken in the Constitution to give the Speaker the power to administer the rules of the Assembly and to use their discretion where those rules are lacking. The Court, over a number of decisions (most recently its decision on the Speaker’s Power to Schedule Votes), has emphasised the broad nature of this discretion, that it extends to deciding on ambiguities within the rules, and that control of it is primarily for the Assembly.

However, that is not to say it is without limit, the Speaker cannot defy clear rules and, moreover, the Court has indicated that certain decisions within the Speaker’s discretion could be called into question if they are for illegitimate purposes. The situation set out is (I suspect not accidentally) almost exactly the kind of situation that the Court has envisioned as being one where discretionary decisions could be subject to interference from the Court. Notably, the Speaker has also sought to block the avenues where political control of their decisions can be exercised, which is plainly of relevance.

It would seem to me, therefore, that it would be possible for the Speaker’s decisions to be challenged successfully in the review brought. Additionally, it is arguable that the Speaker could be criminally liable for breach of their oath of office, for instance preventing their own removal from office could be characterised as a biased and abusive exercise of their power, and so they could be prosecuted for Gross Misconduct

EDIT: It would also be open to citizens simply to wait for the next election and vote the Speaker out, but I have addressed my answer to more immediate solutions.
EDIT2: added “think” to the paragraph on the objects of memorial days.

Last edited:
Back